Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Objective Morality Debate

mrsatan
Posts: 429
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 2:39:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Would anyone care to debate me with the resolution "Morality is Objective"?

I would be taking the Pro side. BoP would be on me, or shared if you would like to affirm the opposite, that morality is subjective.
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
Welfare-Worker
Posts: 1,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 10:49:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/24/2015 6:13:34 AM, Smithereens wrote:
What if I argued that morality was objective, subjective, relative and other? Those are not mutually exclusive positions.
"was" or "is"?
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 10:00:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/24/2015 10:49:05 AM, Welfare-Worker wrote:
At 1/24/2015 6:13:34 AM, Smithereens wrote:
What if I argued that morality was objective, subjective, relative and other? Those are not mutually exclusive positions.
"was" or "is"?

or 'were to be.' It matters not, since the statement did not emphasise the tense.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Welfare-Worker
Posts: 1,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 5:43:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/24/2015 10:00:06 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 1/24/2015 10:49:05 AM, Welfare-Worker wrote:
At 1/24/2015 6:13:34 AM, Smithereens wrote:
What if I argued that morality was objective, subjective, relative and other? Those are not mutually exclusive positions.
"was" or "is"?

or 'were to be.' It matters not, since the statement did not emphasise the tense.

Well there is certainly a difference between what has been, what will be, and what is.
Emphasis is irrelevant. It is odd that you would think that matters.
When one suggests that contradictory statements are true, the statements are suspect.
It would seem someone wants to play a trick on us, with the use of words. Maybe not, but it is not unreasonable to think that.

Than you for your clarification.
MyDinosaurHands
Posts: 203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 9:25:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/24/2015 2:39:23 AM, mrsatan wrote:
Would anyone care to debate me with the resolution "Morality is Objective"?

I would be taking the Pro side. BoP would be on me, or shared if you would like to affirm the opposite, that morality is subjective.

I'll take it.
Guess what I used to type this..

Careful! Don't laugh too hard.
Raisor
Posts: 4,467
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 3:38:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/24/2015 2:39:23 AM, mrsatan wrote:
Would anyone care to debate me with the resolution "Morality is Objective"?

I would be taking the Pro side. BoP would be on me, or shared if you would like to affirm the opposite, that morality is subjective.

I would take this.
mrsatan
Posts: 429
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 5:43:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Some things have come up, so I actually won't be able to do this debate anytime soon. I'll let you all know when that changes in case you're still interested then.
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 7:51:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/25/2015 5:43:25 AM, Welfare-Worker wrote:
At 1/24/2015 10:00:06 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 1/24/2015 10:49:05 AM, Welfare-Worker wrote:
At 1/24/2015 6:13:34 AM, Smithereens wrote:
What if I argued that morality was objective, subjective, relative and other? Those are not mutually exclusive positions.
"was" or "is"?

or 'were to be.' It matters not, since the statement did not emphasise the tense.

Well there is certainly a difference between what has been, what will be, and what is.
Emphasis is irrelevant. It is odd that you would think that matters.
When one suggests that contradictory statements are true, the statements are suspect.
It would seem someone wants to play a trick on us, with the use of words. Maybe not, but it is not unreasonable to think that.

Than you for your clarification.

were you more interested in my peculiar use of grammar than what i was actually saying?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Welfare-Worker
Posts: 1,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 5:29:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/25/2015 7:51:04 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 1/25/2015 5:43:25 AM, Welfare-Worker wrote:
At 1/24/2015 10:00:06 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 1/24/2015 10:49:05 AM, Welfare-Worker wrote:
At 1/24/2015 6:13:34 AM, Smithereens wrote:
What if I argued that morality was objective, subjective, relative and other? Those are not mutually exclusive positions.
"was" or "is"?

or 'were to be.' It matters not, since the statement did not emphasise the tense.

Well there is certainly a difference between what has been, what will be, and what is.
Emphasis is irrelevant. It is odd that you would think that matters.
When one suggests that contradictory statements are true, the statements are suspect.
It would seem someone wants to play a trick on us, with the use of words. Maybe not, but it is not unreasonable to think that.

Than you for your clarification.

were you more interested in my peculiar use of grammar than what i was actually saying?
Like there is a difference?
Svenyboy
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 9:21:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Such thing as morality is a relative thing because of the fact the people usually think that they are moral, but what is really moral and what is not is a really a taboo concept because you can always argue about that.

For example.

Many people think that eating dogs and cats in china is immoral, eating animals that are considered as domestic animals is considered as an immoral thing to do because of the fact that mass majority of western civilization doesn't do it, but in reality let's check up facts.

Is cow an animal: Yes
Is dog an animal: Yes
Does cow have feelings: Yes
Does dog have feelings: Yes
Do western civilization eat dogs: No
Do eastern civilization eat dogs: Yes
Is there actually something wrong to eat a dog: No and yes
Is there actually something wrong to eat a cow: No and yes

Why?

Because it is our conceptions our cultural standards that makes us in to thinking that there is something wrong with these kind of things, and morality is deeply relative from a culture to a culture.
Welfare-Worker
Posts: 1,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 10:01:18 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/26/2015 9:21:32 AM, Svenyboy wrote:
Such thing as morality is a relative thing because of the fact the people usually think that they are moral, but what is really moral and what is not is a really a taboo concept because you can always argue about that.

For example.

Many people think that eating dogs and cats in china is immoral, eating animals that are considered as domestic animals is considered as an immoral thing to do because of the fact that mass majority of western civilization doesn't do it, but in reality let's check up facts.

Is cow an animal: Yes
Is dog an animal: Yes
Does cow have feelings: Yes
Does dog have feelings: Yes
Do western civilization eat dogs: No
Do eastern civilization eat dogs: Yes
Is there actually something wrong to eat a dog: No and yes
Is there actually something wrong to eat a cow: No and yes

Why?

Because it is our conceptions our cultural standards that makes us in to thinking that there is something wrong with these kind of things, and morality is deeply relative from a culture to a culture.

Is morality natural, or unnatural - that is, is having a moral code a natural aspect of the human condition?

Are the cosmic laws of physics natural or unnatural, that is, are they invented by mankind, and vary from culture to culture, or a natural aspect of the material world?
Welfare-Worker
Posts: 1,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 7:15:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/27/2015 4:07:33 AM, Geneaux wrote:
Before people can debate morality they need to define what they mean by "morality".

Can you offer some conflicting choices, in light of the OP challenge?