Jump to topic:

Environmental Nihilism

gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 5:37:57 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Considering that 99.9 per cent of all the animals that have ever lived are now extinct, should we care so much about a few cuddly bears and frogs if over a little bit of time others will fill the niche that they leave behind?

Also, ignoring the fact that we may need some for our own survival - why do we care so much when historically they are all doomed anyway?
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 8:03:46 PM
At 1/27/2015 5:37:57 AM, gingerbread-man wrote:
Considering that 99.9 per cent of all the animals that have ever lived are now extinct, should we care so much about a few cuddly bears and frogs if over a little bit of time others will fill the niche that they leave behind?

Also, ignoring the fact that we may need some for our own survival - why do we care so much when historically they are all doomed anyway?

I don't see how it matters why we care so much. We just do. That's enough to function.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 8:16:32 PM

I have my gripes with the conservation movement. Personally, I think we should let the pandas go extinct and redirect all that funding to saving beetles.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
MyDinosaurHands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 9:02:10 PM

Ignoring the fact that environmental stability is good for our chances of survival, is, for me at least, completely ignoring the answer to your question.
Guess what I used to type this..

Careful! Don't laugh too hard.
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 9:53:15 PM
At 1/27/2015 8:16:32 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I have my gripes with the conservation movement. Personally, I think we should let the pandas go extinct and redirect all that funding to saving beetles.

Now that's what I'm talking about....

https://www.youtube.com...
Not my gumdrop buttons!

gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 9:58:08 PM
At 1/27/2015 9:02:10 PM, MyDinosaurHands wrote:

Ignoring the fact that environmental stability is good for our chances of survival, is, for me at least, completely ignoring the answer to your question.

But is the plight of pandas really going to effect anyone? I mean there will be a little more bamboo to keep under control - but other than that the greatest loss would be the world's cute quotient
Not my gumdrop buttons!

gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 9:59:34 PM
At 1/27/2015 8:01:02 PM, Smithereens wrote:
da heck is with all the nihilism.

Its probably not really nihilism, the phrase just sounded "catchy" and I wasn't really sure which forum area to put it in.
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 10:18:10 PM
At 1/27/2015 9:53:15 PM, gingerbread-man wrote:
At 1/27/2015 8:16:32 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Now that's what I'm talking about....

https://www.youtube.com...

Beetles are pretty badass, This one hunts and kills scorpions in the wild.

So it's basically natural pest control. That's beetles: 1, pandas: 0.

And there's also the fact that an estimated 60% of beetle species haven't even been described yet, and due to habitat destruction we may never even know that many of them even existed. But go ahead and keep spending millions on mood lighting for Ling Ling.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -