Jump to topic:

Purpose of life?

Atheism_Debater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 7:39:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What is the purpose of life? I say there is no purpose, there can only be a purpose if there is a planner, which is probably false. So with a god out of the picture, what is the purpose of it all, look forward to thoughts on this.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 8:44:48 PM
At 2/19/2015 7:39:23 PM, Atheism_Debater wrote:
What is the purpose of life? I say there is no purpose, there can only be a purpose if there is a planner, which is probably false. So with a god out of the picture, what is the purpose of it all, look forward to thoughts on this.

'When we have intelligence resulting from sincerity, this condition is to be ascribed to nature; when we have sincerity resulting from intelligence, this condition is to be ascribed to instruction. But given the sincerity, and there shall be the intelligence; given the intelligence, and there shall be the sincerity. It is only he who is possessed of the most complete sincerity that can exist under heaven, who can give its full development to his nature. Able to give its full development to his own nature, he can do the same to the nature of other men. Able to give its full development to the nature of other men, he can give their full development to the natures of animals and things. Able to give their full development to the natures of creatures and things, he can assist the transforming and nourishing powers of Heaven and Earth. Able to assist the transforming and nourishing powers of Heaven and Earth, he may with Heaven and Earth form a ternion.' (Doctrine of the Mean 23)
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 9:50:49 PM
Even without God, there could be a purpose for individual lives in the sense that somebody intended that person to be here for a reason. For example, some parents plan their children for the purpose of enjoying having a family.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 10:19:50 PM

My answer is always the same for this question whenever it is asked. Objectively speaking, the purpose of life is primarily to survive and secondarily to reproduce. I base my answer on the basic (almost totally) involuntary tendencies that virtually all animals have - to fight for survival and to reproduce.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 12:31:41 AM
We live in a universe perfectly designed for the pursuit of wisdom and knowledge. It doesn't favor anything else and it wouldn't be complete without pain or mystery.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 8:22:47 PM

Purpose doesn't have to extend from a planner. It is contingent on will. That will may be a planner's will but the participating agent (us) may have our own will and our own invented purposes.

You would have to say there is no will for there to be no purpose.

Purpose could also be less mindful and more natural as in some innate function. Such as the purpose of a cup is to hold water.. In which case One could say the purpose of their life is the most basic of all properties innate to life. Procreate and die.
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 10:58:09 PM

I say we create a purpose through our goals and our achievements. We have none to start out with.
Ashton
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 11:07:03 PM

To reach the end of life: the cold embrace of death.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Atheism_Debater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 7:50:23 AM
At 2/23/2015 11:07:03 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

To reach the end of life: the cold embrace of death.

So the purpose of life is to end it?
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 9:02:52 AM
Life in and of itself has no purpose beyond the purely instinctive drives to survive and reproduce. LIfe is a condition, one is alive or one is not. We decide and pursue our own purpose, give our lives whatever meaning we choose and the results of those choices are our only true legacy. It's not rocket science, it doesn't require deep thought to figure it out. Life happens, all we can do I live it.
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 9:55:53 AM
Humans like to think that we are more special than what we really are. That there is some greater plan for us given all the things we go through. There really isn't. Life on this planet managed to beat the odds and flourish. Now we are here. That is all. Make your own purpose in life.
RyryMase
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 1:32:00 AM
There is no purpose. It's in the self interest of the living to say there is a purpose. Everyone HAS to be important
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2015 8:06:09 AM
This thread seems to have many nihilistic tones. Good to some extent because we are embracing reality but it also can be bad since it does hold a more tragic view. Sure to us as individuals, we may value our lives or other people's lives.

But on what authority or power do we have to tell every single living creature what is their purpose or not their purpose. There are limited ways we may come close to having such an affirming conclusion such as a scientific understanding of how the human being functions or a religious understanding based on creatures beyond the scope of homo sapiens. However, many scientists are coming to the conclusion that as we learn more that life may be meaningless. After all the cerebrum developed to control our movements not to engage in thoughts or feelings. Nevertheless, if our little blue planet was hit by a comet and the human race was driven to extinction. Time and space would still continue on regardless of our existence be erased. If we die, the world still continues regardless of our existence disappearing.

Many people just don't want to accept the cold harshness of the world we live in. It is far easier to play pretend and imagine than to accept that we are limited in what we are.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
Moroni23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2015 5:28:16 AM

I believe the purpose of life is to find immortality and happiness.
unicorndick21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2015 11:06:04 AM

i think the purpose in life is to love live and be happy. But also to be a good person and to pass it on. Help people and create memories.
drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 4:06:31 PM

It is simple really. Life can have no purpose when it's done wrong, so the purpose of life is to build purpose within life.
pressman57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2015 2:20:20 PM
At 3/6/2015 4:06:31 PM, drpiek wrote:

It is simple really. Life can have no purpose when it's done wrong, so the purpose of life is to build purpose within life.

That assumes we have free will. What makes you think we have any more volition than a cue ball on a pool table?
MiloMee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2015 2:56:32 PM
At 2/22/2015 8:56:51 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
Forty two

Hahahahaha I'm glad we got this out the way
MiloMee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2015 3:04:01 PM
In my opinion there is no true universal meaning. But that does not mean you can't have one yourself as a singularity, wether it is forced, inherited, learned or decided by you does not make a difference
drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2015 3:40:28 PM
At 3/7/2015 2:20:20 PM, pressman57 wrote:

That assumes we have free will. What makes you think we have any more volition than a cue ball on a pool table?

Volition is the cognitive process we use to make decisions, are you saying that you are not sure if your cognition is any better than a cue ball?
pressman57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2015 4:11:04 PM
At 3/7/2015 3:40:28 PM, drpiek wrote:

Volition is the cognitive process we use to make decisions, are you saying that you are not sure if your cognition is any better than a cue ball?

I'm saying that we just seem to make decisions. What motivates us is outside our control.
drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2015 6:16:56 PM
At 3/7/2015 4:11:04 PM, pressman57 wrote:

I'm saying that we just seem to make decisions. What motivates us is outside our control.

While we have survival & sexual instincts that motivate us to do many things, it does not mean we cannot override them, control them, or use them to pave our way in life. That is the greatest skill. Maybe you are a robot, but I am not.
pressman57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2015 6:48:43 PM
At 3/7/2015 6:16:56 PM, drpiek wrote:

While we have survival & sexual instincts that motivate us to do many things, it does not mean we cannot override them, control them, or use them to pave our way in life. That is the greatest skill. Maybe you are a robot, but I am not.

Can you admit the possibility that maybe you are? Just because we "feel" like we make our own decisions does not mean that we actually do.
vampiress
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2015 8:00:45 PM
I say there is no conclusive definite purpose, but there certainly is the opportunity to create one's own purpose which is consistently changing as we experience and olden.
The most appropriate answer would be to discover, and digest meaning in our seemingly lifeless world.
drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2015 10:16:17 PM
At 3/7/2015 6:48:43 PM, pressman57 wrote:
At 3/7/2015 6:16:56 PM, drpiek wrote:

Can you admit the possibility that maybe you are? Just because we "feel" like we make our own decisions does not mean that we actually do.

Maybe that is you, it is not me.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2015 2:03:29 PM
What is the purpose of life? I say there is no purpose, there can only be a purpose if there is a planner, which is probably false.

Not a criticism of the original post itself, but I think 'why' is a poorly-framed question, AD. 'How' is a good question to ask about the things around us: how does this work; how did that happen. How invites ways to explore the world and test things.

But 'why' is a political question. We're saying 'be accountable to me'. Why requires an authority -- a whom -- to ask: why can't I borrow your car; why didn't you come to my birthday party?

So without identifying an authoritative whom, of whom do we ask why? And if we ask others why about nature, what makes them an authority?
KiDos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 3:08:07 AM

My humble opinion:
There is no purpose in life, there's things you like and you enjoy to do and that make us think we born for that reason, which a believe is wrong.
Our brain works in different ways, make our perception stagger in the path of our lives.
Of course the is things humans MOST.
-Why you feed your body everyday?
-Why you work?
You do this for SURVIVE and that is a purpose that we didn't set, we born with it.