Jump to topic:

Meaningless Rebuttals

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 7:26:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
There are a lot of really pathetic rebuttals that I see from people on DDO; and it's becoming increasingly more common. I'll list them and explain why they are meaningless in the order that I remember them:

1. "You're feeling not thinking."

This is usually used in one of three different ways: (a) in response to someone telling a person making an idiotic claim that they are wrong, (b) when the person who made a claim is intellectually incapable of responding to the substance of what the challenger said either because they cannot respond without being unreasonable or because they don't understand what the challenger said, or (c) in response to a dismissal of an objectively absurd idea.

The reason this is a meaningless rebuttal is because thinking and feeling aren't mutually exclusive. Emotions are both "felt" and "thought," and emotions inform our judgement as much as our thoughts can govern our emotions. There is an interrelation there, which a rebuttal like "you're feeling and not thinking," totally ignores. It's an incredibly weak response, and it does not mean that the challenger is wrong -it means that the responder can't think of anything better to say because they're unwilling or unable to challenge what was said.

2. "You must insult, because that is all you can do."

This is probably at once the stupidest, and most comical response ever. This usually happens when people get indignant because they've been socially ostracized for saying something that was less than intellectually sound. This response is usually executed when a challenger both rebuts and insults in the same sentence or paragraph. It's an iteration of the misuse of "oh you're only ad-hom-ing" BS that used to be prolific on DDO. An ad hom fallacy is when a challenger attempts to discredit the message that a speaker is saying because of some attribute about the speaker.

The reason this is a pathetic response, usually, because a speaker's being stupid is often nothing more than a comment made in passing, and not offered as a reason to disbelieve what a speaker was saying. If I say "you are stupid, and therefore we shouldn't take seriously what you have to say." that is an ad hom fallacy. But, if I say "what you're saying is stupid for reasons [x], [y], and [z] ...and it doesn't look to well for you because you're talking nonsense." that's not an ad hom fallacy... it's just your run-of-the-mill insult.

The other reason this is a pathetic response, when used as a rejoinder to a challenger who both refutes and insults without ad-homing, is that it's so patently false. If it is the case that someone *can* refute, as is evidenced by the fact that they *did* and them a speaker comes back with *oh, you can only insult! Poor you!* that's at once a denial of objective fact and a failure to respond to actual criticism leveraged against the speaker.

This is most often used by people who don't understand how argumentation and logic work... I wonder who that could be...

3. "[word] isn't a word."

This is a less common but equally dumb response; it usually happens when people don't understand concepts or whose command of the english language is not good. This could apply both to native and non-native speakers. It's used when someone uses a word that a speaker doesn't understand or recognize as a word; often as a result of that person's ignorance.

The reason this is stupid should be pretty obvious. The fact that something is a word, means that saying it's not a word is a false statement and a meaningless rebuttal.

4. Scenario:

Speaker: *says some stuff that a challenger doesn't understand*

Challenger: *disregards something that is said and tries to come up with some bullsh1t to explain why the speaker is a horrible person*

Sometimes, this can be executed. Sometimes it can't. Bluesteel, Dani and I are the only people who I've been able to see do it with any success on DDO. There are others who have tried, and they always fail because what they do is -rather than profile or psychoanalyze- is project their own weakness onto other people.

The thought process is basically 'I think/feel [some way (x)] in response to [event (y)], therefore you must also feel (x) in response to (y).' While that is not a process that is not always wrong; it is almost always wrong when the person trying to wild the psychoanalytic tool has no real understanding of people, how people think, how people feel, etc.

Psychoanalysis is like a sniper rifle... when it's used correctly, it's devastating. When it's used by imbeciles who don't even understand themselves... it's pathetic to see. To borrow a phrase from someone smarter than I, "Just because you give a Junior Varsity team a bunch of Laker's Jerseys, doesn't mean they can play in the NBA."

5. "You don't know [some branch of academics]." -some dumb kid

This is perhaps the most egregiously pathetic come-back in the range of possible dumb comebacks. It's usually made by some arrogant little twat who thinks he knows a lot more than he does, but is really too ignorant to be conscious of the extent to which he is ignorant.

The reason this is stupid should be outrightly obvious: a person who actually knows something about anything is going to engage with the substance of what is said, whereas a dumb@ss is going to say crazy sh!t like "you don't know [blah blah blah]."

What that means is that when [an ornery little pakistani boy] says that any person doesn't know or understand something, it's because he is too ignorant to rebut what they're actually saying... and not even creative enough to come up with a bullsh!t filler response. That's pretty bad.
Tsar of DDO
SargonOfAkkad
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:16:59 PM
I'm assuming that you're using "psychoanalysis" in a figurative sense. Otherwise, I don't see any way that one could "psychoanalyze" another member of DDO,.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:19:37 PM
At 2/21/2015 11:16:59 PM, SargonOfAkkad wrote:
I'm assuming that you're using "psychoanalysis" in a figurative sense. Otherwise, I don't see any way that one could "psychoanalyze" another member of DDO,.

Well, sort of...

I mean... psychoanalysis isn't really what I do. But, it's the term that people use to describe psychological profiling... it's really just profiling... not psychoanalysis. And it's not hard either. It's just a matter of paying attention to details.
Tsar of DDO
SargonOfAkkad
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:21:33 PM
At 2/21/2015 11:19:37 PM, YYW wrote:

Well, sort of...

I mean... psychoanalysis isn't really what I do. But, it's the term that people use to describe psychological profiling... it's really just profiling... not psychoanalysis. And it's not hard either. It's just a matter of paying attention to details.

When I think of psychoanalysis, I think of therapeutic techniques like free association and such. In any case, if one actually has the ability to use psychological profiling, then I would see it as immensely unethical to use this knowledge to harm others.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:22:59 PM
At 2/21/2015 11:21:33 PM, SargonOfAkkad wrote:

Well, sort of...

When I think of psychoanalysis, I think of therapeutic techniques like free association and such. In any case, if one actually has the ability to use psychological profiling, then I would see it as immensely unethical to use this knowledge to harm others.

I think using it with the exclusive intent of hurting other people would be highly unethical, yes.
Tsar of DDO
SargonOfAkkad
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:24:20 PM
At 2/21/2015 11:22:59 PM, YYW wrote:

Well, sort of...

I think using it with the exclusive intent of hurting other people would be highly unethical, yes.

Using psychology for any kind of harm is never ethical or practical in the long-term.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 11:27:46 PM
At 2/21/2015 11:24:20 PM, SargonOfAkkad wrote:
At 2/21/2015 11:22:59 PM, YYW wrote:

Well, sort of...

Using psychology for any kind of harm is never ethical or practical in the long-term.

There is a difference between using knowledge that one has with foreknowledge that it *could* cause harm, and with the intent to actually cause harm.

The purpose of profiling someone, on DDO, is not to harm them, so much as it is to alert them to the limitations of how they are perceived, that they may reform certain antisocial behaviors... or, if there is no antisocial behavior, to tell a person how they come across.

Profiling isn't inherently bad, either. It's just a showing of what is obvious.
Tsar of DDO