Jump to topic:

Circular reasoning?

ATHOS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 11:10:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I experience the universe with the 5 senses via the brain. Ultimately, it is the brain that interprets the universe (everything that is experienced, from stars to the lint in my pocket) which gives one justification to regard it as "real". Sounds reasonable right? Would it be reasonable to regard my brain as 'real" through its own interpretations? The statement would say:
"I know my brain is real because my brain tells me that its real"
Is this a form of circular reasoning?
What can be expected from insane premises except an insane conclusion? The way to undo an insane conclusion is to consider the sanity of the premises on which it rests.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How long will contradiction stand when its impossible nature is clearly revealed?
phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 11:37:06 PM
At 2/23/2015 11:10:44 PM, ATHOS wrote:
I experience the universe with the 5 senses via the brain. Ultimately, it is the brain that interprets the universe (everything that is experienced, from stars to the lint in my pocket) which gives one justification to regard it as "real". Sounds reasonable right? Would it be reasonable to regard my brain as 'real" through its own interpretations? The statement would say:

No. Circular reasoning is when the conclusion to an argument is already in the premise.

An actual example of circular reasoning would be "brains exist because brains exist"

or "the bible is infallible because the bible says so"

Saying "I know that ____ device with which to see reality is real because the reality-seeing device senses" isn't circular reasoning because it's not just a logic-loop, it's an empirical, scientific analysis.
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 1:30:49 AM

Yes and no. Circular reasoning usually needs to rely solely on its own premise. In this particular instance, your brain can also be verified by other people's brains as well, and doesn't specifically need itself to justify itself.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 7:46:56 AM

We don't have Perception of our brain. No matter how much you meditate or try become selfaware you will not perceive of a single cell in your body.

You're confusing brain with mind.

This is quite a bit in the direction of solipsism