Jump to topic:

Already forgot the term...

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 5:11:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I was at a presentation at noon about different ideas of how the universe came to be (why is there something rather than nothing).

The last argument that was presented was that it was due to ethical necessity (due to goodness). The term for this starts with an "a", but I cannot remember what it is called.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 6:30:45 PM
At 2/24/2015 5:11:44 PM, SNP1 wrote:
I was at a presentation at noon about different ideas of how the universe came to be (why is there something rather than nothing).

The last argument that was presented was that it was due to ethical necessity (due to goodness). The term for this starts with an "a", but I cannot remember what it is called.

astrology
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 4:49:50 AM

Arse.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 5:37:47 AM

Was the "A" word Aquinas perhaps?

Does any of this sound familiar? Perfection is a function of actuality and God"s goodness necessarily invokes the actuality of being, so God"s goodness is explanatory of both origin and end of the universe by necessity. Something like that?

It kind of sounds like they were presenting Thomas Aquinas' views.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 8:23:41 AM
If I remember correctly, Plato had an early view of this.
#WarOnDDO
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 9:25:42 AM
Axiarchism.

You're welcome.

There are modern proponents of this view. (Mainly a lot of theists, but they don't necessarily have to be theists.)
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 5:17:30 PM
At 2/25/2015 8:23:41 AM, SNP1 wrote:
If I remember correctly, Plato had an early view of this.

Alpamia?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 5:33:34 PM

Altruism?
You can call me Mark if you like.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 5:50:48 PM
At 2/25/2015 9:25:42 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Axiarchism.

You're welcome.

There are modern proponents of this view. (Mainly a lot of theists, but they don't necessarily have to be theists.)

Egads Pop, you really do know some obscure stuff.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 8:33:06 PM

Very interesting! That makes sense to me actually. 'The great attribute of heaven and earth is the giving and maintaining life.' (Book of Changes, Xi Ci II, Chapter 1) The universe is the womb that gave rise to life, so it could be ethical necessity that started the universe!
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 10:11:26 PM
Axiarchism.

You're welcome.

Yes, that is it, thank you! I wanted to look into it a bit, see what arguments are used in support of it.
#WarOnDDO
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 7:48:49 AM
At 2/25/2015 5:50:48 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
Axiarchism.

You're welcome.

Egads Pop, you really do know some obscure stuff.

Not sure if that's a compliment or not but thanks. ;) lol What can I say - I like to leave no stone unturned. :)
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 7:50:45 AM
At 2/25/2015 10:11:26 PM, SNP1 wrote:
Axiarchism.

You're welcome.

Yes, that is it, thank you! I wanted to look into it a bit, see what arguments are used in support of it.

No problem. :)
BLACK LIVES MATTER!