Jump to topic:

Moral actions: Hypothetical Questions

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 9:25:39 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Answer each one, again with the new hypothetical attached to it, and let's see if we can draw any conclusions about moral philosophy from your answers.

Hypothetical 1: If you were to find a large bill of money on the ground (let's say a 100 dollar bill, or a good some of euros, or whatever other currency you may have), would you take it? You found this one on the street, you don't know whose it is, or how to even locate the person who may have dropped it.

Hypothetical 2: You found this money at your work in an area only employees can access. You can deduce from this that the person who dropped it is likely one of your co-workers. Do you try to return it? Why or why not?

Hypothetical 3: Hypothetical two is still in effect, but in this scenario you are broke. You are living paycheck to paycheck, and you have a hard enough time putting food on the table for your family. You know you could use this money for self-preservation of yourself, and your kin. Do you take it? Why or why not?
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 3:03:51 PM
At 2/26/2015 9:25:39 AM, TUF wrote:
Answer each one, again with the new hypothetical attached to it, and let's see if we can draw any conclusions about moral philosophy from your answers.

Hypothetical 1: If you were to find a large bill of money on the ground (let's say a 100 dollar bill, or a good some of euros, or whatever other currency you may have), would you take it? You found this one on the street, you don't know whose it is, or how to even locate the person who may have dropped it.

If I don't know how to locate the person, then yes I would take it. And even if I knew the person, I may take it too depending on what person we are talking about.

Hypothetical 2: You found this money at your work in an area only employees can access. You can deduce from this that the person who dropped it is likely one of your co-workers. Do you try to return it? Why or why not?

That depends. Do I hate that person? Then no I wouldn't return it. But under normal circunstances yes, I would return it. The reason being that I like my co-workers and that I would like equal treatment if they were to find my money.

Hypothetical 3: Hypothetical two is still in effect, but in this scenario you are broke. You are living paycheck to paycheck, and you have a hard enough time putting food on the table for your family. You know you could use this money for self-preservation of yourself, and your kin. Do you take it? Why or why not?

Well if my children are starving and I'm desperate, I would probably do something crazy like robbing a bank, and thus I wouldn't need the money of my co-workers :)
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 4:26:32 PM

I don't consider that a "large" amount of money. If it were a small amount of money I would look around to see if it's reasonable that there is somebody around who owns it, and if not I'd take it and probably feel obliged to spend it in a way that was generous (e.g., leaving a big tip for somebody). If it were a larger amount of money (hard to really draw a line there) I would be more cautious about it. The larger it was, the less likely I would be to want anything to do with it.

I would simply bring it to the secretary and be on my way. Since it's at my work, the chances of returning it to its owner are high so I'm unjustified in keeping it. Plus, it is an opportunity (if I take it) to potentially estrange my colleagues and an opportunity (if I don't) to demonstrate my honesty.

I'm broke as hell, that isn't a change for me.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2015 8:09:18 PM

Picking things up on the street is an indication that society lacks morality (Xunzi 18.28, Kongzi Jiayu 1.1), so no.
'To take what one has not a right to is contrary to righteousness' (Mencius 13.33), so yes.

'The superior man may indeed have to endure want, but the mean man, when he is in want, gives way to unbridled license.' (Analects 15.1) I'd endure it, so still no. I could ask for help though, but no, I cannot take without permission.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 10:10:41 AM

I'm taking it. If there is a reasonable chance of returning the money, no.

Yes, there is a reasonable chance of finding its rightful owner.

No, I'd rather starve than lose my honor. I've faced this scenario many times, it honestly shouldn't be a hard decision.

If I need to feed my family, I'll go to a soup kitchen or something. If that option isn't available than I'd steal whatever food I needed from a large corporately owned chain store.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2015 10:14:08 AM

I would take it
It depends on if my co-worker is an a$$. If he is, I'm pocketing the money. If it's someone nice like an old lady, I'll gladly return it.
Yep. Survival > Morality
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Surrealism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 3:32:29 PM

Let A be the average wealth of anyone who may have dropped the money, M be the amount of money, and P be my own wealth.

If A > M + P, then I would take it.
Else I distribute to the poorest person I can find.

Peter Singer FTW.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 3:56:07 PM

I'm keeping that.

That I would try and give back. I am friends with people I work with. I wouldn't want to steal from them and I want to believe they would return it as well.

Same. I would give it back.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 10:35:28 PM

Yes

No. If my co workers is a small number I'll try to find the owner. If my co-workers are large I will turn the money into management lost and found and have them find the owner.

Same answer as above. Due on to others as you want them to do you.
Sosoconfused
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 1:11:51 AM

I'm taking it.....why leave it just so someone else can take it?

Still keeping it....didn't see who dropped it, can't tell who's money it is for sure; I don't know if I were to announce the found money that the person claiming it actually was the owner or if they're just trying to get a free come up. If I physically saw the person drop the money, there would be very little question as to who it belonged to and I'd return it.

Of course I'm keeping it.....I kept it before the broke adage; so I'm keeping it now.