Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Islamic Philosophy

YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 7:50:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
- Anyone familiar with the subject?

- If not, let's discuss it anyways.
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
frbnsn
Posts: 353
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 4:35:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/15/2015 7:50:41 PM, YassineB wrote:
- Anyone familiar with the subject?

- If not, let's discuss it anyways.

Dear YassineB,
I don't claim good about Islamic Philosophy, but I want to learn something from your knowledge.
I know Kindi. Farabi, Ibn Sina, Biruni, Ibn Rushd, but not much.
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 4:40:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 4:35:07 AM, frbnsn wrote:
At 3/15/2015 7:50:41 PM, YassineB wrote:
- Anyone familiar with the subject?

- If not, let's discuss it anyways.

Dear YassineB,
I don't claim good about Islamic Philosophy, but I want to learn something from your knowledge.
I know Kindi. Farabi, Ibn Sina, Biruni, Ibn Rushd, but not much.

- You mentioned some of the Big Names of Islamic Philosophy, nice. I'll add to these:
> al-Ghazali.
> Fakhr ad-Din ar-Razi.
> Ibn 'Arabi.
> Ibn Tufayl.
> al-Ash'ari.
> Ibn Hazm.
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
frbnsn
Posts: 353
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 5:38:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 4:40:23 AM, YassineB wrote:
At 3/16/2015 4:35:07 AM, frbnsn wrote:
At 3/15/2015 7:50:41 PM, YassineB wrote:
- Anyone familiar with the subject?

- If not, let's discuss it anyways.

Dear YassineB,
I don't claim good about Islamic Philosophy, but I want to learn something from your knowledge.
I know Kindi. Farabi, Ibn Sina, Biruni, Ibn Rushd, but not much.

- You mentioned some of the Big Names of Islamic Philosophy, nice. I'll add to these:
> al-Ghazali.
> Fakhr ad-Din ar-Razi.
> Ibn 'Arabi.
> Ibn Tufayl.
> al-Ash'ari.
> Ibn Hazm.

O.K. Yassin, I prefer human who recommend to appeal to reason, but as far as I know some of those you wrote are inclined to appeal only emotions (=mutasavvuf).
If I am false, correct my knowledge, please.
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 9:14:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 5:38:50 AM, frbnsn wrote:
- You mentioned some of the Big Names of Islamic Philosophy, nice. I'll add to these:
> al-Ghazali.
> Fakhr ad-Din ar-Razi.
> Ibn 'Arabi.
> Ibn Tufayl.
> al-Ash'ari.
> Ibn Hazm.

O.K. Yassin, I prefer human who recommend to appeal to reason, but as far as I know some of those you wrote are inclined to appeal only emotions (=mutasavvuf).
If I am false, correct my knowledge, please.

- Some are indeed Mutasawifah, but are also Philosophers. What do you imagine Tasawuf is?
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
Harper
Posts: 374
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 12:46:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/15/2015 7:50:41 PM, YassineB wrote:
- Anyone familiar with the subject?

- If not, let's discuss it anyways.

What is the difference between Islamic scholars and Islamic philosophers? Does the latter simply apply what the former comes up with?
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,079
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 1:11:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/15/2015 7:50:41 PM, YassineB wrote:
- Anyone familiar with the subject?

- If not, let's discuss it anyways.

a little bit about Avicenna
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 1:11:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/17/2015 12:46:07 PM, Harper wrote:
At 3/15/2015 7:50:41 PM, YassineB wrote:
- Anyone familiar with the subject?

- If not, let's discuss it anyways.

What is the difference between Islamic scholars and Islamic philosophers? Does the latter simply apply what the former comes up with?

- An Islamic Scholar is a specialist in one of the Fields of the Islamic Tradition:

http://www.docdroid.net...

=> It is one who:
1. Reached the degree of Ijtihad/Tahqiq (Mastery),
2. Has a Sanad (Chain of Authority) that goes back to the Founder of his Field of expertise, i.e. he was taught by someone who was taught by another up to the founder.
3. Is Licensed to Teach, Practice, or Advise in his Field.

- An Islamic Religious Scholar is such that the Founder of his Field is non other than the Prophet himself.

- Thus, Muslim Scholars might be:
> Jurists = Fuq'ahaa.
> Theologians = Mutakalimun.
> Sufis = Mutasawwifah.
> Exegetists = Mufasirun.
> Reciters = Q'uraa.
> Narrators = Muhadithun.
> Historians = Mu'arikhun.
> Linguists = Lughawiun.
> Grammarians = Nahwiun.
> Poets = Shu'araa.
> Philosophers = Falasifah.
> Logicians = Manatiq'a.
> Doctors = Atibbaa.
> Astronomers = Falakiyun.
> Mathematicians = Ryadiyun.

. . . etc.
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
Harper
Posts: 374
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 1:17:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/17/2015 1:11:59 PM, YassineB wrote:
At 3/17/2015 12:46:07 PM, Harper wrote:
At 3/15/2015 7:50:41 PM, YassineB wrote:
- Anyone familiar with the subject?

- If not, let's discuss it anyways.

What is the difference between Islamic scholars and Islamic philosophers? Does the latter simply apply what the former comes up with?

- An Islamic Scholar is a specialist in one of the Fields of the Islamic Tradition:

http://www.docdroid.net...

=> It is one who:
1. Reached the degree of Ijtihad/Tahqiq (Mastery),
2. Has a Sanad (Chain of Authority) that goes back to the Founder of his Field of expertise, i.e. he was taught by someone who was taught by another up to the founder.
3. Is Licensed to Teach, Practice, or Advise in his Field.

- An Islamic Religious Scholar is such that the Founder of his Field is non other than the Prophet himself.

- Thus, Muslim Scholars might be:
> Jurists = Fuq'ahaa.
> Theologians = Mutakalimun.
> Sufis = Mutasawwifah.
> Exegetists = Mufasirun.
> Reciters = Q'uraa.
> Narrators = Muhadithun.
> Historians = Mu'arikhun.
> Linguists = Lughawiun.
> Grammarians = Nahwiun.
> Poets = Shu'araa.
> Philosophers = Falasifah.
> Logicians = Manatiq'a.
> Doctors = Atibbaa.
> Astronomers = Falakiyun.
> Mathematicians = Ryadiyun.

. . . etc.

Thanks for the explanation, so an Islamic philosopher would have to base his philosophical teachings on the Quran and Hadith?
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 1:47:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/17/2015 1:17:02 PM, Harper wrote:
At 3/17/2015 1:11:59 PM, YassineB wrote:
At 3/17/2015 12:46:07 PM, Harper wrote:
At 3/15/2015 7:50:41 PM, YassineB wrote:
- Anyone familiar with the subject?

- If not, let's discuss it anyways.

What is the difference between Islamic scholars and Islamic philosophers? Does the latter simply apply what the former comes up with?

- An Islamic Scholar is a specialist in one of the Fields of the Islamic Tradition:

http://www.docdroid.net...

=> It is one who:
1. Reached the degree of Ijtihad/Tahqiq (Mastery),
2. Has a Sanad (Chain of Authority) that goes back to the Founder of his Field of expertise, i.e. he was taught by someone who was taught by another up to the founder.
3. Is Licensed to Teach, Practice, or Advise in his Field.

- An Islamic Religious Scholar is such that the Founder of his Field is non other than the Prophet himself.

- Thus, Muslim Scholars might be:
> Jurists = Fuq'ahaa.
> Theologians = Mutakalimun.
> Sufis = Mutasawwifah.
> Exegetists = Mufasirun.
> Reciters = Q'uraa.
> Narrators = Muhadithun.
> Historians = Mu'arikhun.
> Linguists = Lughawiun.
> Grammarians = Nahwiun.
> Poets = Shu'araa.
> Philosophers = Falasifah.
> Logicians = Manatiq'a.
> Doctors = Atibbaa.
> Astronomers = Falakiyun.
> Mathematicians = Ryadiyun.

. . . etc.

Thanks for the explanation, so an Islamic philosopher would have to base his philosophical teachings on the Quran and Hadith?

- No, he has to be either a Founder of a Philosophical School of Thought, such as Avicenna's School, or be a follower of Philosophical School of Thought.

- Check the link I provided, Philosophy in Classical Islam had 8 Major Branches:
> Rationalities (Logic, Argumentation).
> Mathematics (Arithmetics, Algebra, Astronomy . . .).
> Natural Sciences (Medicine, Optics, Mechanics, Chemistry. . .).
> Political Philosophy.
> Ethics.
> Aesthetics.
> Metaphysics.
> History of Philosophy.
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 1:48:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/17/2015 1:11:09 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 3/15/2015 7:50:41 PM, YassineB wrote:
- Anyone familiar with the subject?

- If not, let's discuss it anyways.

a little bit about Avicenna

- Sure :) .
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 11:41:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/15/2015 7:50:41 PM, YassineB wrote:
- Anyone familiar with the subject?

- If not, let's discuss it anyways.

It's a large topic. What are your interests? I am curious.
frbnsn
Posts: 353
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 4:18:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 9:14:30 AM, YassineB wrote:
At 3/16/2015 5:38:50 AM, frbnsn wrote:
- You mentioned some of the Big Names of Islamic Philosophy, nice. I'll add to these:
> al-Ghazali.
> Fakhr ad-Din ar-Razi.
> Ibn 'Arabi.
> Ibn Tufayl.
> al-Ash'ari.
> Ibn Hazm.

O.K. Yassin, I prefer human who recommend to appeal to reason, but as far as I know some of those you wrote are inclined to appeal only emotions (=mutasavvuf).
If I am false, correct my knowledge, please.

- Some are indeed Mutasawifah, but are also Philosophers. What do you imagine Tasawuf is?

According to me, facts are reached, only by using reason, by contemplating deeply (tefekkur,tedebbur,tefakkuh...as written in the Qur'an); you know the first order of Qur'an is 'read!'
Tasavvuf is not interested in physical, so subjective, not objective for me.
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 9:01:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/17/2015 11:41:36 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 3/15/2015 7:50:41 PM, YassineB wrote:
- Anyone familiar with the subject?

- If not, let's discuss it anyways.

It's a large topic.

- Indeed.

What are your interests? I am curious.

- Anything.
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 9:16:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 4:18:38 AM, frbnsn wrote:
At 3/16/2015 9:14:30 AM, YassineB wrote:
At 3/16/2015 5:38:50 AM, frbnsn wrote:
- You mentioned some of the Big Names of Islamic Philosophy, nice. I'll add to these:
> al-Ghazali.
> Fakhr ad-Din ar-Razi.
> Ibn 'Arabi.
> Ibn Tufayl.
> al-Ash'ari.
> Ibn Hazm.

O.K. Yassin, I prefer human who recommend to appeal to reason, but as far as I know some of those you wrote are inclined to appeal only emotions (=mutasavvuf).
If I am false, correct my knowledge, please.

- Some are indeed Mutasawifah, but are also Philosophers. What do you imagine Tasawuf is?

According to me, facts are reached, only by using reason, by contemplating deeply (tefekkur,tedebbur,tefakkuh...as written in the Qur'an); you know the first order of Qur'an is 'read!'
Tasavvuf is not interested in physical, so subjective, not objective for me.

- Objective?!!!!! There are as many philosophical currents as there are philosophers. Only Mathematics (Deductive Reasoning) is objective, sometimes not even. Philosophy is the study of Thought, including Aesthetics, Ethics, Politics, Metaphysics which are essentially not objective & NOT 'physical'.

- Even the study of Nature: Natural Sciences is not quite objective. To make the opposite claim is to make a load of bare assumptions beforehand.

- Tasawwuf goes beyond & studies that which Philosophy have little access to. It's a science, much like Philosophy, but in some ways more advanced, & it's well based on the standard Modes of Reasoning.

- If Philosophy is a discourse concerning the Intellect, then Tasawwuf is a discourse concerning Spirituality.
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
Dazz
Posts: 1,163
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 10:24:58 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 4:18:38 AM, frbnsn wrote:
At 3/16/2015 9:14:30 AM, YassineB wrote:
At 3/16/2015 5:38:50 AM, frbnsn wrote:
- You mentioned some of the Big Names of Islamic Philosophy, nice. I'll add to these:
> al-Ghazali.
> Fakhr ad-Din ar-Razi.
> Ibn 'Arabi.
> Ibn Tufayl.
> al-Ash'ari.
> Ibn Hazm.

O.K. Yassin, I prefer human who recommend to appeal to reason, but as far as I know some of those you wrote are inclined to appeal only emotions (=mutasavvuf).
If I am false, correct my knowledge, please.

- Some are indeed Mutasawifah, but are also Philosophers. What do you imagine Tasawuf is?

According to me, facts are reached, only by using reason, by contemplating deeply (tefekkur,tedebbur,tefakkuh...as written in the Qur'an); you know the first order of Qur'an is 'read!'
Tasavvuf is not interested in physical, so subjective, not objective for me.

Concisely I would interpret Tasavvuf as the path of "Tazkia Nafs" (Purification of inner-self) or a continuous struggling to achieve the degree of "Ikhlaas" (purifying the intentions). And its not something separate to Sharia Objectives, rather can be taken as a step forward. For example, once we adhere to what Sharia law require us to do (fard), we move towards what is recommended by Sharia (Mustahib). Just like Sacrificing (for others) isn't Fard on us but one who sacrifice his right or "Maal" for other Muslim brother would get great "Ajar". Other major focus is the way of "Raza", that means happily accepting the situation whatever it is. And it's about one who is "Gani" by heart, cares not about either he's the worldly bounties or not nor he hates them but just accept them as it is without letting the nafs to yearn or long. Such concepts to purify Nafs aren't produced by one's mind but are coherent in meaning with many Hadiths and Ayats.

Hope it was helpful. However, Kashaf-al-Mahjoob (Revelation of the Veiled) is a comprehensive book to understand the concept of Tasavvuf. Though original is in Persian, you can google its English translation.
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
frbnsn
Posts: 353
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 5:25:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 9:16:41 AM, YassineB wrote:
At 3/18/2015 4:18:38 AM, frbnsn wrote:
At 3/16/2015 9:14:30 AM, YassineB wrote:
At 3/16/2015 5:38:50 AM, frbnsn wrote:
- You mentioned some of the Big Names of Islamic Philosophy, nice. I'll add to these:
> al-Ghazali.
> Fakhr ad-Din ar-Razi.
> Ibn 'Arabi.
> Ibn Tufayl.
> al-Ash'ari.
> Ibn Hazm.

O.K. Yassin, I prefer human who recommend to appeal to reason, but as far as I know some of those you wrote are inclined to appeal only emotions (=mutasavvuf).
If I am false, correct my knowledge, please.

- Some are indeed Mutasawifah, but are also Philosophers. What do you imagine Tasawuf is?

According to me, facts are reached, only by using reason, by contemplating deeply (tefekkur,tedebbur,tefakkuh...as written in the Qur'an); you know the first order of Qur'an is 'read!'
Tasavvuf is not interested in physical, so subjective, not objective for me.

- Objective?!!!!! There are as many philosophical currents as there are philosophers. Only Mathematics (Deductive Reasoning) is objective, sometimes not even. Philosophy is the study of Thought, including Aesthetics, Ethics, Politics, Metaphysics which are essentially not objective & NOT 'physical'.

- Even the study of Nature: Natural Sciences is not quite objective. To make the opposite claim is to make a load of bare assumptions beforehand.

- Tasawwuf goes beyond & studies that which Philosophy have little access to. It's a science, much like Philosophy, but in some ways more advanced, & it's well based on the standard Modes of Reasoning.

- If Philosophy is a discourse concerning the Intellect, then Tasawwuf is a discourse concerning Spirituality.

O:K. YassineB,
I don't say that I don't accept tasavvuf at all; but accoring to me, tasavvuf doesn't inform from the facts about space,atom,cell...etc.; but tasavvuf is connected to spirit, as you say and it is for cleaning (tezkiye) bad feelings inside (nefs).
I don't agree your opinion '... it's well based on the standard Modes of Reasoning.'

The Qur'an says (Isra 85):
...The Spirit (ruh) is one of the things yhe knowledge of which is only with my Lord.And of knowledge, you (mankind) have been given only a little.
frbnsn
Posts: 353
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 5:28:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/18/2015 10:24:58 AM, Dazz wrote:
At 3/18/2015 4:18:38 AM, frbnsn wrote:
At 3/16/2015 9:14:30 AM, YassineB wrote:
At 3/16/2015 5:38:50 AM, frbnsn wrote:
- You mentioned some of the Big Names of Islamic Philosophy, nice. I'll add to these:
> al-Ghazali.
> Fakhr ad-Din ar-Razi.
> Ibn 'Arabi.
> Ibn Tufayl.
> al-Ash'ari.
> Ibn Hazm.

O.K. Yassin, I prefer human who recommend to appeal to reason, but as far as I know some of those you wrote are inclined to appeal only emotions (=mutasavvuf).
If I am false, correct my knowledge, please.

- Some are indeed Mutasawifah, but are also Philosophers. What do you imagine Tasawuf is?

According to me, facts are reached, only by using reason, by contemplating deeply (tefekkur,tedebbur,tefakkuh...as written in the Qur'an); you know the first order of Qur'an is 'read!'
Tasavvuf is not interested in physical, so subjective, not objective for me.

Concisely I would interpret Tasavvuf as the path of "Tazkia Nafs" (Purification of inner-self) or a continuous struggling to achieve the degree of "Ikhlaas" (purifying the intentions). And its not something separate to Sharia Objectives, rather can be taken as a step forward. For example, once we adhere to what Sharia law require us to do (fard), we move towards what is recommended by Sharia (Mustahib). Just like Sacrificing (for others) isn't Fard on us but one who sacrifice his right or "Maal" for other Muslim brother would get great "Ajar". Other major focus is the way of "Raza", that means happily accepting the situation whatever it is. And it's about one who is "Gani" by heart, cares not about either he's the worldly bounties or not nor he hates them but just accept them as it is without letting the nafs to yearn or long. Such concepts to purify Nafs aren't produced by one's mind but are coherent in meaning with many Hadiths and Ayats.

Hope it was helpful. However, Kashaf-al-Mahjoob (Revelation of the Veiled) is a comprehensive book to understand the concept of Tasavvuf. Though original is in Persian, you can google its English translation.

O.K. Dazz, I agree with you.
YassineB
Posts: 1,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 9:31:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2015 5:25:08 AM, frbnsn wrote:

O:K. YassineB,
I don't say that I don't accept tasavvuf at all; but accoring to me, tasavvuf doesn't inform from the facts about space,atom,cell...etc.; but tasavvuf is connected to spirit, as you say and it is for cleaning (tezkiye) bad feelings inside (nefs).
I don't agree your opinion '... it's well based on the standard Modes of Reasoning.'

- Tasawuf is a Science, as any other, it has a Methodology, which is based on Logic & Reasoning.

The Qur'an says (Isra 85):
...The Spirit (ruh) is one of the things yhe knowledge of which is only with my Lord. And of knowledge, you (mankind) have been given only a little.

- Now, you are attempting to interpret the Qur'an?!!! :D
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
frbnsn
Posts: 353
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 8:23:56 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2015 9:31:36 PM, YassineB wrote:
At 3/19/2015 5:25:08 AM, frbnsn wrote:

O:K. YassineB,
I don't say that I don't accept tasavvuf at all; but accoring to me, tasavvuf doesn't inform from the facts about space,atom,cell...etc.; but tasavvuf is connected to spirit, as you say and it is for cleaning (tezkiye) bad feelings inside (nefs).
I don't agree your opinion '... it's well based on the standard Modes of Reasoning.'

- Tasawuf is a Science, as any other, it has a Methodology, which is based on Logic & Reasoning.

The Qur'an says (Isra 85):
...The Spirit (ruh) is one of the things yhe knowledge of which is only with my Lord. And of knowledge, you (mankind) have been given only a little.

- Now, you are attempting to interpret the Qur'an?!!! :D

Dear YassinB,
you say that Tasavvuf is based on logic and reasoning.
How?

According to me, The Qur'an and Hadiths (those not antipole to the Qur'an) are the fundemants.
Yassine
Posts: 2,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 1:31:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/20/2015 8:23:56 AM, frbnsn wrote:
Dear YassinB,
you say that Tasavvuf is based on logic and reasoning.
How?

According to me, The Qur'an and Hadiths (those not antipole to the Qur'an) are the fundemants.

- All Islamic Religious Sciences are based on both Scripture & Reason. Shari'a is based on 6 Sources:
1. Qur'an.
2. Sunnah.
3. Ijma' (Consensus).
4. Q'iyas (Analogical Reasoning).
5. 'Aq'l (Reason).
6. 'Urf (Norms).
=> The first 3 are scriptural, & the last 3 are intellectual.

Shari'a is the core corpus of Knowledge of the Islamic Tradition, which encompasses virtually every aspect of life, inward & outward, at the personal level, the public level & the state level. It depicts the Islamic Teachings in all its three dimensions:
I. The Physical Dimension associated with al-Islam, which deals with the body (actions & practices); it is described through the Sciences of Jurisprudence, called: al-Fiq'h, aka 'al-Furu', aka 'Ilm ash-Shari'a.
II. The Intellectual Dimension associated with al-Iman which deals with the mind (beliefs & convictions), described through the Sciences of Theology called al-Kalam, aka al-Usul, aka 'Ilm al-'Aqeedah.
III. The Spiritual Dimension associated with al-Ihsan which deals with the soul (spirituality & intentions), described through the Sciences of Mysticism called Tasawuf, aka as-Suluk, aka at-Tazkyyah, aka 'Ilm al-Haq'iq'a.

=> In each of these dimensions there are Schools of Thought = Madhahib. A Madhhad is originally a Manhaj = Methodology of dealing with the Scripture.

=> The Methodologies from which these Schools of Thought stem are based on Reason first & foremost. & to learn any of them one must learn Logic first. You can't learn Jurisprudence, Theology or Tasawuf without being well grounded in Logic & critical thinking. For instance, al-Qyas (Analogical Reasoning) is part of Logic itself ; or al-Kalam, the Methodology used in Theology, it is also based entirely on Logic. . .

- The same thing goes for Tasawuf, you have a Methodology called Q'awa'id at-Tasawuf (Basis of Tasawuf), & this Methodology is very well based on Reason. For example: Tawatur.
=> Tawatur is Successive Reasoning, later know as Statistical/Probabilistic Reasoning. Tawatur is very frequently used in Tasawuf to established facts & analyse them later on.
=> One of the Four Pillars of Tasawuf is 'Experience', which denotes Abductive Reasoning.

- Finally, just to make you realise what Tasawuf is & how vast it is: the dictionary of the terms used in the Sciences of Tasawuf alone is 24 volumes long, slightly larger than the Oxford Dictionary (the biggest dictionary in the English language). Tasawuf is worlds upon worlds of knowledge, you are just not familiar with it, as is everybody.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...