Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Starting point for learning about philosophy?

1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 8:18:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I want to get into philosophy...it always interests me. So I want to know where some more knowledgeable members here think a good place to start is.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 8:26:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/15/2015 8:18:53 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I want to get into philosophy...it always interests me. So I want to know where some more knowledgeable members here think a good place to start is.

What he said. ----^
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
missmedic
Posts: 387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 8:47:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/15/2015 8:18:53 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I want to get into philosophy...it always interests me. So I want to know where some more knowledgeable members here think a good place to start is.

start with the basics
http://www.philosophybasics.com...
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 9:13:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I specifically like and want books.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 9:17:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Philosophy Made Simple by Richard Popkin and Avrum Stroll

It's where I started. Back then, it was the most intriguing thing I'd ever read. From there, you'll find what and who interests you the most.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 9:18:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/15/2015 9:17:24 PM, phantom wrote:
Philosophy Made Simple by Richard Popkin and Avrum Stroll

It's where I started. Back then, it was the most intriguing thing I'd ever read. From there, you'll find what and who interests you the most.

Much appreciated.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 9:20:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/15/2015 9:18:36 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 3/15/2015 9:17:24 PM, phantom wrote:
Philosophy Made Simple by Richard Popkin and Avrum Stroll

It's where I started. Back then, it was the most intriguing thing I'd ever read. From there, you'll find what and who interests you the most.

Much appreciated.

No problem.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 9:28:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/15/2015 8:18:53 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I want to get into philosophy...it always interests me. So I want to know where some more knowledgeable members here think a good place to start is.

Plato should be easily digestible and most of philosophy consists of footnotes to his works, so I would start there. Just go through the dialogues.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 12:13:16 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/15/2015 9:28:30 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 3/15/2015 8:18:53 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I want to get into philosophy...it always interests me. So I want to know where some more knowledgeable members here think a good place to start is.

Plato should be easily digestible and most of philosophy consists of footnotes to his works

Whitehead was a hack

, so I would start there. Just go through the dialogues.

I've found that his dialogues become more convoluted the more I read them
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 12:16:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 12:13:16 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/15/2015 9:28:30 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 3/15/2015 8:18:53 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I want to get into philosophy...it always interests me. So I want to know where some more knowledgeable members here think a good place to start is.

Plato should be easily digestible and most of philosophy consists of footnotes to his works

Whitehead was a hack

, so I would start there. Just go through the dialogues.

I've found that his dialogues become more convoluted the more I read them

Ahmagerd!
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 12:19:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 12:16:29 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/16/2015 12:13:16 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/15/2015 9:28:30 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 3/15/2015 8:18:53 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I want to get into philosophy...it always interests me. So I want to know where some more knowledgeable members here think a good place to start is.

Plato should be easily digestible and most of philosophy consists of footnotes to his works

Whitehead was a hack

, so I would start there. Just go through the dialogues.

I've found that his dialogues become more convoluted the more I read them

Ahmagerd!

There's so much there it *can* be overwhelming
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 12:37:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 12:19:36 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/16/2015 12:16:29 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/16/2015 12:13:16 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/15/2015 9:28:30 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 3/15/2015 8:18:53 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I want to get into philosophy...it always interests me. So I want to know where some more knowledgeable members here think a good place to start is.

Plato should be easily digestible and most of philosophy consists of footnotes to his works

Whitehead was a hack

, so I would start there. Just go through the dialogues.

I've found that his dialogues become more convoluted the more I read them

Ahmagerd!

There's so much there it *can* be overwhelming

True. I like the Stoics. They were badasses who stabbed themselves, like real men. None of that poison.

Mostly I was excited cause I thought you left, lol >.>
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 12:44:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 12:37:38 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/16/2015 12:19:36 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/16/2015 12:16:29 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/16/2015 12:13:16 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/15/2015 9:28:30 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 3/15/2015 8:18:53 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I want to get into philosophy...it always interests me. So I want to know where some more knowledgeable members here think a good place to start is.

Plato should be easily digestible and most of philosophy consists of footnotes to his works

Whitehead was a hack

, so I would start there. Just go through the dialogues.

I've found that his dialogues become more convoluted the more I read them

Ahmagerd!

There's so much there it *can* be overwhelming

True. I like the Stoics. They were badasses who stabbed themselves, like real men. None of that poison.

They're all Whatevs. I just like (post)modern re-interpretation of their (the Greeks) shlt.

Mostly I was excited cause I thought you left, lol >.>

I did. This place is a shlthole. I'm just drunk and bored.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 12:53:21 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 12:44:53 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/16/2015 12:37:38 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/16/2015 12:19:36 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/16/2015 12:16:29 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/16/2015 12:13:16 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/15/2015 9:28:30 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 3/15/2015 8:18:53 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I want to get into philosophy...it always interests me. So I want to know where some more knowledgeable members here think a good place to start is.

Plato should be easily digestible and most of philosophy consists of footnotes to his works

Whitehead was a hack

, so I would start there. Just go through the dialogues.

I've found that his dialogues become more convoluted the more I read them

Ahmagerd!

There's so much there it *can* be overwhelming

True. I like the Stoics. They were badasses who stabbed themselves, like real men. None of that poison.

They're all Whatevs. I just like (post)modern re-interpretation of their (the Greeks) shlt.

Care to recommend anyone Stoic-y?


Mostly I was excited cause I thought you left, lol >.>

I did. This place is a shlthole. I'm just drunk and bored.

= ( That's how I came back too, lol.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 1:00:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 12:53:21 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/16/2015 12:44:53 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/16/2015 12:37:38 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/16/2015 12:19:36 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/16/2015 12:16:29 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/16/2015 12:13:16 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/15/2015 9:28:30 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 3/15/2015 8:18:53 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I want to get into philosophy...it always interests me. So I want to know where some more knowledgeable members here think a good place to start is.

Plato should be easily digestible and most of philosophy consists of footnotes to his works

Whitehead was a hack

, so I would start there. Just go through the dialogues.

I've found that his dialogues become more convoluted the more I read them

Ahmagerd!

There's so much there it *can* be overwhelming

True. I like the Stoics. They were badasses who stabbed themselves, like real men. None of that poison.

They're all Whatevs. I just like (post)modern re-interpretation of their (the Greeks) shlt.

Care to recommend anyone Stoic-y?

Foucault's later lectures are great. 'Hermeanutics of the Subject' is highly recommended.


Mostly I was excited cause I thought you left, lol >.>

I did. This place is a shlthole. I'm just drunk and bored.

= ( That's how I came back too, lol.

Yeah I'm just chilling with a friend and decided to check in. Disappointed as always lol but sometimes this section has something worthwhile.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Otokage
Posts: 2,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 5:59:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/15/2015 8:18:53 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I want to get into philosophy...it always interests me. So I want to know where some more knowledgeable members here think a good place to start is.

Start by identifying to which philosophy you adhere, and then research which books are renown on that specific field. I think reading books about philosophy in general can be boring if you are not used to it.
Surrealism
Posts: 265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 11:04:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
My first exposure to philosophy was through this book:

http://www.amazon.com...

It's definitely a starting point and not a comprehensive guide to any of the philosophies that it describes, but it also gives you the names of all the books the people in it wrote, so if any of the philosophers they describe catch your eye, you can do deeper research.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Raisor
Posts: 4,459
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 7:34:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/16/2015 12:13:16 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 3/15/2015 9:28:30 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 3/15/2015 8:18:53 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I want to get into philosophy...it always interests me. So I want to know where some more knowledgeable members here think a good place to start is.

Plato should be easily digestible and most of philosophy consists of footnotes to his works

Whitehead was a hack

, so I would start there. Just go through the dialogues.

I've found that his dialogues become more convoluted the more I read them

I love Plato, some of the dialogues are just enjoyable to read regardless of philosophy
Raisor
Posts: 4,459
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 7:39:56 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/15/2015 8:18:53 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I want to get into philosophy...it always interests me. So I want to know where some more knowledgeable members here think a good place to start is.

I started with this book, "the big questions"

http://www.amazon.com...

It's basically an intro to philosophy textbook. It covers all the central themes of philosophy by devoting sections to epistemology, ethics, God, etc and giving short selections of primary source text from major philosophers. I think it's a good jumping off point to find out what you are interested in and give some ideas of what books you should read next.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 10:04:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Just start with what you're interested in brah. For me, it was when I was questioning a lot about religion and ethics. So that's what I read. Just picked up a random book and started reading random articles. If I didn't know a term, I'd look it up on the internet.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!