Jump to topic:

Would You Create Life?

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 11:22:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I recently engaged in a thought experiment when I was bored and imagined if I were to create the same type of universe we live in now and I had the place of god would I create life?

It was an interesting question that I thought about for a surprisingly long time.

The thought experiment is outlined here: http://www.dailyfreethinker.com...

But the question is extended to you.
Would you create life? Why or why not? What kind of life?
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:52:00 AM
At 3/17/2015 11:22:20 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Would you create life? Why or why not?

Yes, I would create life. Mostly because I'd be curious to see how they develop. It'd be interesting to see what path they take, considering the countless possibilities given in our current paradigm of reality. What would their perception of "all that is" be like? What universal laws would they create or discover? Would they destroy themselves or attain salvation through their own means?

Watching the evolutionary progress of numerous species would be exciting simply because I'd be witnessing a "change" that I've never seen before.

What kind of life?

Depends on the universe I create, or better yet, how I arrange the chaos to form order (or simply how the chaos appears to order itself). I remember watching a special by Stephen Hawking were he pondered what certain life forms would look like if they evolved on a planet that revolved around a blue star, or a red star, or a binary star system. What if they weren't carbon-based life forms? I mean, ultimately, there are so many possibilities that it leaves my head spinning, lol.

Personally, I'd do humans (homo-sapiens), for several reasons.

1 - It's what I'm familiar with.
2 - I'd like to see how a currency-based technological stage, similar to our present one, turns out from an observers perspective rather than a participants perspective.
3 - I'd love to watch humans push forward and even evolve throughout the various ages and eventually spread out amongst the stars.

However, I would make some changes. I would remove certain necessities from humans, mostly the burdens of our body, such as having to urinate or gaining energy from eating and sleeping. I find all three things to be a waste of our time. If we were able to harness energy from the sun, similar to a plants' process of photosynthesis, that'd be great. Additionally, if we were able to remove our need to sleep from the equation, we'd be so much more productive. Can you imagine how much farther along we'd be in nearly every aspect - culture, technology, the study of science, etc., if we merely had those additional 8-10 hours a day to work or develop whatever it is we focus on? It'd be fantastic, and a much more efficient way to use the finite time we have here, imo.

However, such changes would seriously alter the world when compared to our current one. So, fundamentally I'd use our own universe as a template, but make some minor paradigm-shifting alterations.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:54:59 AM
At 3/18/2015 12:52:00 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Yes, I would create life. Mostly because I'd be curious to see how they develop. It'd be interesting to see what path they take, considering the countless possibilities given in our current paradigm of reality. What would their perception of "all that is" be like? What universal laws would they create or discover? Would they destroy themselves or attain salvation through their own means?

Watching the evolutionary progress of numerous species would be exciting simply because I'd be witnessing a "change" that I've never seen before.

What kind of life?

Depends on the universe I create, or better yet, how I arrange the chaos to form order (or simply how the chaos appears to order itself). I remember watching a special by Stephen Hawking were he pondered what certain life forms would look like if they evolved on a planet that revolved around a blue star, or a red star, or a binary star system. What if they weren't carbon-based life forms? I mean, ultimately, there are so many possibilities that it leaves my head spinning, lol.

2 - I'd like to see how a currency-based technological stage, similar to our present one, turns out from an observers perspective rather than a participants perspective.
3 - I'd love to watch humans push forward and even evolve throughout the various ages and eventually spread out amongst the stars.

However, I would make some changes. I would remove certain necessities from humans, mostly the burdens of our body, such as having to urinate or gaining energy from eating and sleeping. I find all three things to be a waste of our time. If we were able to harness energy from the sun, similar to a plants' process of photosynthesis, that'd be great. Additionally, if we were able to remove our need to sleep from the equation, we'd be so much more productive. Can you imagine how much farther along we'd be in nearly every aspect - culture, technology, the study of science, etc., if we merely had those additional 8-10 hours a day to work or develop whatever it is we focus on? It'd be fantastic, and a much more efficient way to use the finite time we have here, imo.

However, such changes would seriously alter the world when compared to our current one. So, fundamentally I'd use our own universe as a template, but make some minor paradigm-shifting alterations.

I always love hearing people's answers to this question.

A few problems is that with our intellect we need the sleep to process all of the information we are in possession of at all times. We couldn't be fully photosynthetic because we would not have enough energy to do everything we currently do simply with solar energy. Moving and thinking and creating takes a lot of energy.

But I suppose the point is you could design us to be different and not need those things.

I have asked myself the same question about sleep before. Would we be 33% more advanced if we didn't spend a third of our lives asleep? Who knows. It's interesting though.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 1:02:46 AM
At 3/18/2015 12:54:59 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 3/18/2015 12:52:00 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

What kind of life?

I always love hearing people's answers to this question.

A few problems is that with our intellect we need the sleep to process all of the information we are in possession of at all times. We couldn't be fully photosynthetic because we would not have enough energy to do everything we currently do simply with solar energy. Moving and thinking and creating takes a lot of energy.

But I suppose the point is you could design us to be different and not need those things.

Exactly :)

I have asked myself the same question about sleep before. Would we be 33% more advanced if we didn't spend a third of our lives asleep? Who knows. It's interesting though.

I'd like to think that we would be. Unfortunately, we'll never know unless we find a means to remove the necessity of sleep from the human experience, but for reasons you just provided above, I don't think it's likely.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...