Jump to topic:

Your philosphical position in 1 book

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 3:57:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Recommend 1 book for your philosophical position(s) that you think best represents your views. I think it'd be interesting if people wanna read up on your position. Tell us a little bit about if you want to. You can tell us why you like the book or why you feel it represents your position the best too.

I'll go first don't have the time to explain about them right now:

My Philosophy of Religion:

Is God A Delusion: A Reply to Religion's Cultured Despisers

http://www.amazon.com...

Methaethics:

Ethical Intuitionism

At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 10:41:54 PM
At 3/19/2015 10:03:44 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
The Moral Landscape by Sam Harris.................................. Just joking lol

http://i3.kym-cdn.com...
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 10:49:29 PM
At 3/19/2015 10:44:37 PM, Maikuru wrote:
The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks

+1
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2015 11:02:09 PM
At 3/19/2015 3:57:20 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Politics: Machiavelli's Discourses on Livy

A brilliant, detached analysis of Western history and its various undertows and hidden currents.

"It was the verdict of ancient writers that men afflict themselves in evil and weary themselves in the good, and that the same effects result from both of these passions. For whenever men are not obliged to fight from necessity, they fight from ambition; which is so powerful in human breasts, that it never leaves them no matter to what rank they rise. The reason is that nature has so created men that they are able to desire everything but are not able to attain everything: so that the desire being always greater than the acquisition, there results discontent with the possession and little satisfaction to themselves from it. From this arises the changes in their fortunes; for as men desire, some to have more, some in fear of losing their acquisition, there ensues enmity and war, from which results the ruin of that province and the elevation of another."

Ethics: Seneca's Moral Letters to Lucilius (Letters from a Stoic)

One of my favorite moral works, though I draw from a very eclectic mix.

"You should not copy the bad simply because they are many, nor should you hate the many because they are unlike you. Withdraw into yourself, as far as you can. Associate with those who will make a better man of you. Welcome those whom you yourself can improve. The process is mutual; for men learn while they teach."

Aesthetics: Anything by Khalil Gibran. but especially Sand and Foam

"When you reach the heart of life you shall find beauty in all things, even in the eyes that are blind to beauty.

We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting."
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 2:37:13 AM
Cat in a Hat
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 10:43:52 AM
Recommend 1 book for your philosophical position(s) that you think best represents your views. I think it'd be interesting if people wanna read up on your position. Tell us a little bit about if you want to. You can tell us why you like the book or why you feel it represents your position the best too.

Methaethics:

Ethical Intuitionism

Demon Haunted World - Carl Sagan
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 11:37:38 AM
I'm going to cheat a little and include articles.

Philosophy of Religion

William Rowe's PoE and some varieties of atheism - Pretty much the gold standard for modern versions of the problem of evil and I'm convinced of something like friendly atheism as well.

Epistemology

Alvin Goldman - A Causal theory of knowing
- What is justified belief?
- Strong and weak justification
- Internalism exposed

4 articles from Goldman, but I think they create a compelling case for process reliabilism.

Politics

Naomi Klein - The Shock doctrine. Probably the book I agree with most out of all those I've read.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 11:44:24 AM
"Who Moved My Cheese"
It's not really a philosophy book, but a business book. ~80 pages and in massive font, so it's very short and silly. But it pretty sums up what to do as a nihilist.... keep going in search of New Cheese.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 12:34:01 PM
At 3/19/2015 10:03:44 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
The Moral Landscape by Sam Harris.................................. Just joking lol

That book is actually retarded.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 12:52:02 PM
At 3/20/2015 11:37:38 AM, unitedandy wrote:

Philosophy of Religion

William Rowe's PoE and some varieties of atheism - Pretty much the gold standard for modern versions of the problem of evil and I'm convinced of something like friendly atheism as well.

Epistemology

- Internalism exposed

4 articles from Goldman, but I think they create a compelling case for process reliabilism.

Politics

Naomi Klein - The Shock doctrine. Probably the book I agree with most out of all those I've read.

Totally forgot to reply to your questions on my thread. I will get to that.

Just a question, what do you think about phenomenal conservatism? I'm assuming you're not a fan because you're not an internalist, right?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 1:11:51 PM
As far as epistemology - I'm a commonsens-ist (like G.E. Moore, Thomas Reid, Roderick Chisholm, Richard Swinburne, Michael Huemer, Trent Dougherty, Earl Conee etc)

http://www.owl232.net...
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 2:51:12 PM
At 3/20/2015 12:52:02 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Philosophy of Religion

Epistemology

- Internalism exposed

Politics

No worries:)

Just a question, what do you think about phenomenal conservatism? I'm assuming you're not a fan because you're not an internalist, right?

Actually, I am in favour of a strong version of it in some sort. I think the way I build a case for most things (the PoE, moral realism and so on) kind of demands it (building from a prima facie case and so forth. Funnily enough, I'd even apply it against externalism. All else being equal, I share some internalist intuitions pretty strongly. I also think we all speak and think internalism to be true. My problem with internalism is primarily Gettier cases, as well as some of the problems which emerge from fleshing it in a particular form. Reliabilism, it seems, cuts through a lot of problems.

So, I guess I'd argue that phenomenal conservatism is generally reliable, if applied correctly (which would be very wide, only excluding physics and so forth). Also, the beauty of Goldman is that he manages to get all the benefits of a reliabilist approach, while retaining internalist intuitions with the kind of hybrid model (albeit one which favours externalism in 'Strong and weak justification'.

One aside relevant to your recent debates would be whether religious experience would be regarded as reliable, and I think I'd probably give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'd have to think about it. I think you could certainly attempt to make a case for it.

Plus, the barn example is golden, lol.
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 3:04:36 PM
At 3/20/2015 1:11:51 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
As far as epistemology - I'm a commonsens-ist (like G.E. Moore, Thomas Reid, Roderick Chisholm, Richard Swinburne, Michael Huemer, Trent Dougherty, Earl Conee etc)

http://www.owl232.net...

I kind of share that view up to a point, although I guess I don't see that internalism can be borne out.

Moore's kind of an enigma to me, with epistemology and metaethics. He's like a modern-day Descartes - he may be on to something, but his arguments (at least on their face) seem like fodder for students. He's obviously brilliant, but sometimes you read his stuff and his solutions seem too easy. Saying that though, I'd definitely be inclined to defend moral realism on a Moorean-type platform (as Huemer does as well).
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2015 3:04:48 PM
At 3/20/2015 2:51:12 PM, unitedandy wrote:
At 3/20/2015 12:52:02 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Philosophy of Religion

Epistemology

- Internalism exposed

Politics

No worries:)

Actually, I am in favour of a strong version of it in some sort. I think the way I build a case for most things (the PoE, moral realism and so on) kind of demands it (building from a prima facie case and so forth. Funnily enough, I'd even apply it against externalism. All else being equal, I share some internalist intuitions pretty strongly. I also think we all speak and think internalism to be true. My problem with internalism is primarily Gettier cases, as well as some of the problems which emerge from fleshing it in a particular form. Reliabilism, it seems, cuts through a lot of problems.

So, I guess I'd argue that phenomenal conservatism is generally reliable, if applied correctly (which would be very wide, only excluding physics and so forth). Also, the beauty of Goldman is that he manages to get all the benefits of a reliabilist approach, while retaining internalist intuitions with the kind of hybrid model (albeit one which favours externalism in 'Strong and weak justification'.

One aside relevant to your recent debates would be whether religious experience would be regarded as reliable, and I think I'd probably give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'd have to think about it. I think you could certainly attempt to make a case for it.

Plus, the barn example is golden, lol.

Huh, I had no idea why I thought you wouldn't be an internalist or phenomenal conservatist for a second. And that would totally make sense because of the way I've seen you defend the PoE, moral realism, and other positions. Oops. I largely agree with that approach. Honestly, other than tat sort of approach I'm not sure how one could avoid thoroughgoing skepticism consistently.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 5:54:07 PM

Methaethics:

Ethical Intuitionism

I am undecided between Beyond Good & Evil and Anti-Christ, both by Nietzsche. Much of what I think can be found there.
"Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire." F. Nietzsche.

"Freedom is always freedom for the one who thinks differently." R. Luxemburg.

"The principle of the masochistic left is that, in general, two blacks make a white, half a loaf is the same as no bread." G. Orwell, paraphrase.

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists, used by cowards, to manipulate morons". Andrew Cummins.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2015 9:35:03 PM

Methaethics:

Ethical Intuitionism

Ecclesiastes