Jump to topic:

Is Reality An Illusion?

Zenjael
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2015 11:30:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I would like to see other's opinions on this.

I take the view that yes and no, it is. For one, we observe reality and exist through experience. However, experience is determined by a both inward and outward perspective.

Our outward perceptions are based on faulty observation; our senses inaccurately record what we sense, introducing errs. Additionally what we do observe is after the fact; we can only observe something as it has occurred, and even if the duration of time between when what occurred is sensed is tiny, it is still after what we observe has blossomed into existence.

Our mind, taking these faultily recorded sensations then approximates an overview of what we are observing, thereby further jumbling how we perceive what we are observing.

Additionally, each time we remember an experience, errors are introduced; information are lost and the mind fills in the gaps. Every time we remember something it is slightly different.

However, to observe something truly is must have existed. So regardless if we interpret something as an illusion, that does not mean what we are attempting to observe did not occur.

That is the primary reason I would say that reality, or our interpretation of it is an illusion, even though something had to exist objectively for us to subjectively interpret it.

Where it gets interesting really to me, is when our subjective views of an event come together to form an objective view. I.E. my observing something may determine to a degree what you observe.

My actions now lead to the next casual event which assists in forming the next causual time in a series of events. What I do now determines not just the future I experience, but if others exist in this objective formation, than what I do also affects what you experience next, and for all things and events that come thereafter. What you do and perceive interacts to affect my view and what I experience as well.

Your thoughts?
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2015 7:56:35 PM
Reality can't be an illusion, that is a contradiction in terms.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2015 12:41:48 AM
An object is still an object irregardless of our interpretation of it. The tree in your backyard remains to exist with or without your mind to perceive it. What does this suggest? Perhaps aside from subjectivity, it is plausible to suggest that an objective, tangible, and demonstrable reality exists.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2015 7:45:37 PM
Is Reality An Illusion? You can pretend or act like it is, but the world better not hear one word of complaint from you when things don't go your way and you get all of your utilities turned off and your house and car repossessed. It just an illusion, none of that really happened there isn't even houses or cars.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%