Jump to topic:

Why We Exist: Theories

TheTerminator4444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 5:38:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
My theory is that we are involuntarily placed on the road for completing a task/tasks in our lives and that everyone we see around us aren't humans trying to complete their own task/tasks, but interactive illusions that are there to be a part of our lives so that we can be guided down the same path throughout life. Once we finally complete our task/tasks in life, we die.

For example, I can tell you people something but I'm only helping myself because you guys aren't real. You guys are just simple figments of my false reality and sharing information with you would only be helpful to myself.
Subscribe to TheTerminator4444/Termy on YouTube!
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 6:13:31 PM
So you're a solipsist?
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
TheTerminator4444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 7:18:59 PM
At 4/9/2015 6:13:31 PM, n7 wrote:
So you're a solipsist?

Like I said, it's only my theory on existence. This isn't my solidified view on existence.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 9:49:43 PM
At 4/9/2015 9:48:44 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
Don't mind me. Just your imagination passing through.

Treat him well. Once he goes, we all go.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 9:50:15 PM
At 4/9/2015 9:49:43 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 4/9/2015 9:48:44 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
Don't mind me. Just your imagination passing through.

Treat him well. Once he goes, we all go.

LOL
TheTerminator4444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 8:33:28 AM
So if I suicided right now, would that be murder? I'm killing over 7 billion people in the process.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 5:56:41 PM
At 4/10/2015 8:33:28 AM, TheTerminator4444 wrote:
So if I suicided right now, would that be murder? I'm killing over 7 billion people in the process.

According to you, since we're all in your imagination, we're not real to begin with. So no. If you kill yourself or even others it wouldn't be murder.

Please don't kill people though.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 6:06:45 PM

We can test that.
TheTerminator4444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 7:42:11 PM
At 4/10/2015 5:56:41 PM, n7 wrote:

According to you, since we're all in your imagination, we're not real to begin with. So no. If you kill yourself or even others it wouldn't be murder.

For the 3rd time, I said theory of existence, not fairy tale of mentality.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 11:59:11 AM
At 4/10/2015 7:42:11 PM, TheTerminator4444 wrote:

Yes, and your theory of existence is solipsism.

TheTerminator4444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 12:12:07 PM
At 4/11/2015 11:59:11 AM, n7 wrote:

Please don't kill people though

Very good. You learned the "theory" part of it now.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 1:14:52 PM
At 4/11/2015 12:12:07 PM, TheTerminator4444 wrote:
At 4/11/2015 11:59:11 AM, n7 wrote:

Please don't kill people though

Very good. You learned the "theory" part of it now.

Lol how does my answer contradict the idea that it's a theory? The point is, according to this "theory" you cannot murder anyone, as everyone is a figment of your imagination.

Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 2:12:32 AM
why not take it a step further and say none of us exist. We're all just programs in an advanced sims game. You aggree that free will doesn't really exist so how are we any different from computer programs?
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 12:09:17 PM
At 4/14/2015 2:12:32 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
why not take it a step further and say none of us exist. We're all just programs in an advanced sims game. You aggree that free will doesn't really exist so how are we any different from computer programs?

We'd still exist. Just as a computer program. Firefox is just a computer program, but it still exists.

I lean towards free will not existing, but there is still core differences between being a computer simulation and not having free will. My coke can doesn't have free will, but it's not a computer program. Why does brain need to have a list of if-then instructions in order to be deterministic?

Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 6:54:00 PM

Yes.
TheTerminator4444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 7:55:15 PM
At 4/14/2015 12:09:17 PM, n7 wrote:

We'd still exist. Just as a computer program. Firefox is just a computer program, but it still exists.

I lean towards free will not existing, but there is still core differences between being a computer simulation and not having free will. My coke can doesn't have free will, but it's not a computer program. Why does brain need to have a list of if-then instructions in order to be deterministic?

Well, if you were a computer program, then you would be controlled.
Not having free will is like you wanting to do something that you would like, but you are forced to do something else.

Hard to explain, but you hopefully get the idea.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2015 9:03:00 PM
At 4/9/2015 5:38:11 PM, TheTerminator4444 wrote:
My theory is that we are involuntarily placed on the road for completing a task/tasks in our lives and that everyone we see around us aren't humans trying to complete their own task/tasks, but interactive illusions that are there to be a part of our lives so that we can be guided down the same path throughout life. Once we finally complete our task/tasks in life, we die.

For example, I can tell you people something but I'm only helping myself because you guys aren't real. You guys are just simple figments of my false reality and sharing information with you would only be helpful to myself.

Did you learn this one in school yet, or just from reading online?
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 11:49:38 AM

How about this. We exist because of a fortuitous confluence of events and conditions started several billion years ago and resulted in the development of life complex enough to wonder (fruitlessly, as it turns out) why it happened. Simply, there is no real 'Why' to our existence. Our only purpose in life (which is what you seem to be looking for) is that which we as sapient individuals (for the most part) give it.

If you're just walking through a sim why don't you go stand in front of a simulated train doing 60 miles an hour so you can see just how good its feedback is when the train hits you and then tell yourself about it by telling the rest of us 'shadows'.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 11:59:33 AM
At 4/14/2015 7:55:15 PM, TheTerminator4444 wrote:
At 4/14/2015 12:09:17 PM, n7 wrote:

Well, if you were a computer program, then you would be controlled.
Not having free will is like you wanting to do something that you would like, but you are forced to do something else.

Hard to explain, but you hopefully get the idea.

That's coercion. There are other ways for us to be determined, but not coerced into doing so. Free will is being able to act outside necessity. My brain may be making all my decisions and making me think I'm free. I do all I want, but I'm not the agent making those decisions.

Sure, if I was a computer program I wouldn't have free will, but it would be the fallacy of affirming the consequent to conclude because I'm not free, I'm therefore a computer program.

n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 12:00:28 PM
At 4/15/2015 11:49:38 AM, dhardage wrote:

How about this. We exist because of a fortuitous confluence of events and conditions started several billion years ago and resulted in the development of life complex enough to wonder (fruitlessly, as it turns out) why it happened. Simply, there is no real 'Why' to our existence. Our only purpose in life (which is what you seem to be looking for) is that which we as sapient individuals (for the most part) give it.

If you're just walking through a sim why don't you go stand in front of a simulated train doing 60 miles an hour so you can see just how good its feedback is when the train hits you and then tell yourself about it by telling the rest of us 'shadows'.

TheTerminator4444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 2:56:09 PM
At 4/15/2015 12:00:28 PM, n7 wrote:

Why are you so opposed to a simple opinion/theory? You make it sound like I'm trying to force this belief on everyone whilst sounding like some rabid protester. I think I am not crazy enough to talk to shadows after getting hit by a train. Apparently you don't understand the 'theory' part of all of this. For the [4th] time, this is my theory, not my literal view on existence. Once you get that part of it, come back and reply.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 5:35:49 PM
At 4/15/2015 2:56:09 PM, TheTerminator4444 wrote:

Why are you so opposed to a simple opinion/theory? You make it sound like I'm trying to force this belief on everyone whilst sounding like some rabid protester. I think I am not crazy enough to talk to shadows after getting hit by a train. Apparently you don't understand the 'theory' part of all of this. For the [4th] time, this is my theory, not my literal view on existence. Once you get that part of it, come back and reply.

You're on debate.org. Expect debate. It being a theory is irrelevant. It's like someone disregarding objections to the big bang theory because they say it's only a theory. It doesn't matter when someone's talking about the problems with it.

UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 5:39:38 PM

In what sense are you using the term "theory"?

Also, why would you post a controversial idea and then shy away from people objecting to it and pointing out the ways in which it is absurd and pseudo-intellectual?
TheTerminator4444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 7:27:19 PM
At 4/15/2015 5:39:38 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Also, why would you post a controversial idea and then shy away from people objecting to it and pointing out the ways in which it is absurd and pseudo-intellectual?

I use 'theory' in the sense that it's my educated guess as to why we exist.

Anyway, this was suppsoed to be a thread where people shared their own theories about existence, and NOT one where it's all about objecting to the OP's theory. If people think my idea is absurd, congratulations. No need to go on about how I am some lunatic who talks to shadows for a living.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 7:55:31 PM

Neato. I have2 theories:

1) Humanity is a stage in the reproductive life cycle of God. We are essentially a fetus that will eventually evolve into God, through moral trial and tribulation and assuming we don't kill ourselves. It goes that during the Big Bang the planets formed to represent eggs, not all of them fertile of course (in habitable zones). And God sent out asteroids with the necessary biological components for life in all directions, kinda like sperm, and it would eventually collide with an egg forming us.

2) God uses humanity as a way to cure itself of sin. Sin is like a disease to God and concentrates all this sickness into a section and forms humanity with it in the hopes humans will overcome sin and return to God.

I like the first one more though.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2015 11:52:20 AM
At 4/15/2015 7:27:19 PM, TheTerminator4444 wrote:
At 4/15/2015 5:39:38 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

I use 'theory' in the sense that it's my educated guess as to why we exist.

Anyway, this was suppsoed to be a thread where people shared their own theories about existence, and NOT one where it's all about objecting to the OP's theory. If people think my idea is absurd, congratulations. No need to go on about how I am some lunatic who talks to shadows for a living.

So this has nothing to with science then. That's fine.

It is a ludicrous idea. It's on par with me saying that my "theory" of why you exist is that I am god and I created you from my mind and I will destroy you whenever I please. If you don't think that's absurd, ridiculous, and somewhat insane, then I think you're missing something.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2015 12:18:26 PM
At 4/15/2015 7:55:31 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

Neato. I have2 theories:

1) Humanity is a stage in the reproductive life cycle of God. We are essentially a fetus that will eventually evolve into God, through moral trial and tribulation and assuming we don't kill ourselves. It goes that during the Big Bang the planets formed to represent eggs, not all of them fertile of course (in habitable zones). And God sent out asteroids with the necessary biological components for life in all directions, kinda like sperm, and it would eventually collide with an egg forming us.

You should read Isacc Asimov's "The Last Question". It's kinda like that

http://www.multivax.com...
2) God uses humanity as a way to cure itself of sin. Sin is like a disease to God and concentrates all this sickness into a section and forms humanity with it in the hopes humans will overcome sin and return to God.

Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2015 3:07:02 AM
I agree with your belief in all but one aspect. We do not become God but rather independant, self opinionated companions for God.
Basically, God got lonely so he created a imaginary friend.

At 4/15/2015 7:55:31 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

Neato. I have2 theories: