Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Why do people say "that's the way it is"?

Surrealism
Posts: 265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 12:51:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/20/2015 11:02:19 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
I want to know why.

Because they believe that a certain entity has a certain nature and are expressing that thought.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
sdavio
Posts: 1,801
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 8:21:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/20/2015 11:02:19 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
I want to know why.

Because they said so :).
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
UndeniableReality
Posts: 1,897
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 9:38:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/20/2015 11:02:19 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
I want to know why.

Because they either don't know why it is the way it is sufficiently to explain it, they don't think you'll comprehend the reasons, or they're too rude and lazy to talk to you about it. Probably some other options too, but I think those are the most common ones.

They might tell you it's because said 'thing' is self-evident, but even self-evident things can be reasoned out.
Otokage
Posts: 2,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 10:17:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/20/2015 11:02:19 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
I want to know why.

It's a fancy way of saying: I don't know what I'm talking about.
Geogeer
Posts: 4,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 11:20:43 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/20/2015 11:02:19 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
I want to know why.

Because there is a large number of variables, social inertia, and practicality for the way things are. It is a simple answer to something that maybe nobody can answer in certain situations.
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 3:06:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/21/2015 10:17:38 AM, Otokage wrote:
At 4/20/2015 11:02:19 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
I want to know why.

It's a fancy way of saying: I don't know what I'm talking about.

Now that you say that, I agree.
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 3:08:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/21/2015 11:20:43 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/20/2015 11:02:19 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
I want to know why.

Because there is a large number of variables, social inertia, and practicality for the way things are. It is a simple answer to something that maybe nobody can answer in certain situations.

Fair enough, I agree.
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,860
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 3:13:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/20/2015 11:02:19 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
I want to know why.

Because that's the way it is, was, and will be. That way and not some other way.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 3:19:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/20/2015 11:02:19 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
I want to know why.

I usually hear it said after people get tired of answering questions. "That's the way it is," is many people's way of saying, "I am just not going to talk about this anymore."
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...