Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

A silly objection to the ontological argument

dylancatlow
Posts: 12,255
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 7:40:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
https://www.youtube.com...

By far the most common objection to the ontological argument uses reductio ad absurdum to argue that if the ontological argument for God is true, it could also be used to prove the existence of anything, such as unicorns. This obviously isn't the case, the reasoning goes, so the ontological argument is false.

However, there is a crucial difference between God on the one hand, and unicorns on the other. "Being" (as in, "The greatest possible being") is perfectly general, whereas the word "unicorn" places logically unnecessary restrictions on the entity. This obviously deprives it of any omnipotence that may have been implied by the phrase "greatest possible", since an omnipotent being cannot be said to necessarily assume the form of a unicorn. If this is the case, then the greatest possible unicorn is not omnipotent and is thus logically incapable of asserting its existence in a necessary way (a metaphysically necessary unicorn is a contradiction in terms). God does not share any of these restrictions.
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 12:33:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Something that come to mind:

1) Wtf is 'The Atheist Experience'.
2) It's safe to say that this guy is intellectually dishonest since he presents an inaccurate version of Anselm's argument, an argument that noone seriously defends since Kant and Hume.
3) You have a good point.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 12:52:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
*Some things

5) Your picture rings a bell, but I cannot remeber who she is.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,255
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 1:16:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/23/2015 12:33:25 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Something that come to mind:

1) Wtf is 'The Atheist Experience'.

It's an atheist call in show. Basically, they have a panel of atheists who answer questions from callers.
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 1:19:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/23/2015 1:16:37 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/23/2015 12:33:25 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Something that come to mind:

1) Wtf is 'The Atheist Experience'.

It's an atheist call in show. Basically, they have a panel of atheists who answer questions from callers.

With this quality of speakers? Sounds pathetic.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,255
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2015 1:21:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/23/2015 1:19:47 PM, Fkkize wrote:
At 4/23/2015 1:16:37 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/23/2015 12:33:25 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Something that come to mind:

1) Wtf is 'The Atheist Experience'.

It's an atheist call in show. Basically, they have a panel of atheists who answer questions from callers.

With this quality of speakers? Sounds pathetic.

Lol. They're usually more mature than this.