Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Imagine a time in the future where . . .

ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 12:54:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Imagine if in the future there came an invention (that was accessible to anyone) that allowed humans to literally upload information into their brains. In a matter of seconds (or minutes), all the information in an issue of, say, The Economist would become knowledge that can be instantly captured, stored, and used. No more reading thousands of hours to obtain pre-existing knowledge in order to become more learned, or to gain an intellectually competitive edge over others. Really, education as we know it would be radically different. In such a world, how would society function? What would be the most viable socio-economical ideology to adhere to for the world to keep working smoothly?
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 2:35:58 PM
At 5/1/2015 12:54:41 PM, ben2974 wrote:
Imagine if in the future there came an invention (that was accessible to anyone) that allowed humans to literally upload information into their brains. In a matter of seconds (or minutes), all the information in an issue of, say, The Economist would become knowledge that can be instantly captured, stored, and used. No more reading thousands of hours to obtain pre-existing knowledge in order to become more learned, or to gain an intellectually competitive edge over others. Really, education as we know it would be radically different. In such a world, how would society function? What would be the most viable socio-economical ideology to adhere to for the world to keep working smoothly?

This is probably already possible, I remember watching something where someone who had very little general knowledge was set the task, of going to the library and just scanning as many books as he could, without actually reading the books, just quickly scanning through them, and after a few weeks of doing this every day, and going through tons of books, he was entered into a national quiz contest, where he just knew the answers, without knowing how. He came second. I am sure a more refined way to upload data into your brain, would surely probably be possible by now.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 4:07:06 PM

This idea of course would imeadiately be abused and used to oppress people by denying access. As predictable as the sun coming up in the morning. It's a terrible idea. Futurists all do the same thing, they totally ignore human nature and it's evil side. Futurists are the reigning masters of completely ignoring the unintended consequences of their fabulous idea's. They think everyone thinks like they do and can't possibly understand why everyone doesn't want what they want.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 4:52:40 PM

It would be great to memorize entire books in a matter of seconds, but I think it wouldn't be as useful as you present it. One thing is to memorize a book, and quite another is to understand what it says. I can imagine a device that allows you to do the former, but I don't see how a device could grant you the latter.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 6:40:31 PM
At 5/1/2015 4:52:40 PM, Otokage wrote:

It would be great to memorize entire books in a matter of seconds, but I think it wouldn't be as useful as you present it. One thing is to memorize a book, and quite another is to understand what it says. I can imagine a device that allows you to do the former, but I don't see how a device could grant you the latter.

When writing the OP, I was writing a second paragraph to delve deeper into the details of a functioning society under this condition and had referenced this problem. I decided to remove everything because everything seems like an extrapolation at this point. Nonetheless, what I said was that education would pretty much entail learning the basics, including reading, writing, critical thinking, analysis, etc. And these raw skills would probably end up being some of the exclusive factors in determining the intellectual prowess of individuals, rather than the current rote tests of knowledge.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 6:41:39 PM
At 5/1/2015 4:07:06 PM, sadolite wrote:

This idea of course would imeadiately be abused and used to oppress people by denying access. As predictable as the sun coming up in the morning. It's a terrible idea. Futurists all do the same thing, they totally ignore human nature and it's evil side. Futurists are the reigning masters of completely ignoring the unintended consequences of their fabulous idea's. They think everyone thinks like they do and can't possibly understand why everyone doesn't want what they want.

probably lol