Freedom of speech

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2015 10:04:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/5/2015 6:46:23 AM, lolamerckx wrote:
Should there be a limit in freedom of speech ?( ex: the Charlie hebdo attack)

No.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
neoryan1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2015 3:51:17 PM
No, and a cartoon drawing doesn't equate to violence. One person should not be held accountable for another person's reactions.

"We don't have freedom of speech to talk about the weather. We have the first amendment to say very controversial things."
- Ron Paul
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 11:03:59 AM

I'd vote for its limit, with a sufficient reason to believe so.

P1: Freedom of speech is a form of freedom of expression.
P2: Freedom of expression has to be equal for all, to reach its pure definition.
C1: Thus, Freedom of speech must fall under the genus of "equal-freedom" (which is proposing a limit for it that is for the sake of limitless freedom).

Where Freedom is (based) of "equality-rights" rather than "moral-human-rights".
*It's more logical to reside this freedom over equality than any other right, because definition of human/moral/or so-rights can (argumentatively) become subjective to humans (cultures & thought) but equality can be dealt objectively.

1.Some speeches are for freedom-of-expression.
2. Some are freedom-of-expression+ transgression-over-equality rights

* (1) is already in compliance to freedom (equality).
*whereas (2) has gone out of the genus of freedom (entailed by equality).

For example:
P1:Hate/degrading-speech is against the someone's (equality though also moral/human) rights.
P2:Subjugation of one's right is against freedom.
C1: Thus Hate-speech in-spite of being "freedom of speech" is against (equal) freedom (rights).
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 12:09:44 PM

Yes. Speech with the intent to harm others (not to be confused with sacrilegious) speech has no reason to be protected, and is generally understood to be an exception to the unlimited speech rule.

In other words, the First Amendment is meant to protect those properties of speech that are uniquely human. Saying "kill that motherf*cker" may as well be a bark.
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com
neoryan1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 11:47:16 AM
At 5/6/2015 12:09:44 PM, phiLockeraptor wrote:

Yes. Speech with the intent to harm others (not to be confused with sacrilegious) speech has no reason to be protected, and is generally understood to be an exception to the unlimited speech rule.

In other words, the First Amendment is meant to protect those properties of speech that are uniquely human. Saying "kill that motherf*cker" may as well be a bark.

How does a photo of Muhammad harm someone? Yes, it may offend them, but virtually everything offends someone. Freedom of speech is meant so we can express unpopular opinions, even if they offend someone.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 4:24:59 PM

I don't think people should be free to yell "Bomb!" on an airplane if there is no bomb.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2015 12:50:35 PM
At 5/11/2015 4:24:59 PM, philochristos wrote:

I don't think people should be free to yell "Bomb!" on an airplane if there is no bomb.

+1
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2015 2:58:40 PM
There should be no limit as long as a person's speech does not suggest that there is a clear and present danger. If that is the case, then it is terroristic threats. People should not have to live in fear; but I have no qualms with people being offended.
jkhiggons
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 11:20:28 AM
Freedom of speech is determined by the sphere of control. It depends on to what extent power (including you, those at the bottom, all the way to the top) will let you talk.

Should there be, as a personal opinion, no. Ultimate freedom of speech includes things such as hate speeches, and personal insult to a degree that can be more damaging than a physical attack. (I do believe that a person should be able to say whatever they want, but there should be laws that come into effect at a point, if you catch my drift)

But in the end what you can and cant say depends on everyone else, depends on what stage of history you are at, how the future evolves etc etc