Jump to topic:

Possibility of Existence of God

Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 7:23:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If the possibility of a God existing vs. not existing 50-50 percent? Keep in mind I'm not referencing any particular God of a religion, but a "God" (yes, I leave that word open). Hope we can start an interesting discussion!
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Surrealism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 8:20:13 PM
At 5/11/2015 7:23:25 PM, Pase66 wrote:
If the possibility of a God existing vs. not existing 50-50 percent? Keep in mind I'm not referencing any particular God of a religion, but a "God" (yes, I leave that word open). Hope we can start an interesting discussion!

When you have an open definition, it becomes fuzzy. If you mean the tri-Omni God, then I would say there is not a possibility.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 9:26:11 PM
At 5/11/2015 8:20:13 PM, Surrealism wrote:

When you have an open definition, it becomes fuzzy. If you mean the tri-Omni God, then I would say there is not a possibility.

Or a very little possibility. For me, the most broad definition of God is that of a first cause. There is a 50-50 percent chance of their being a first cause vs. there not being. But, the more traits you assign to this first cause, the less likely it is to exist.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2015 9:30:38 AM

If you define God as transcendent, which all Theistic faiths do, then logically and scientifically speaking, it is probably closer to 100% probability that there is a transcendent reality to our normal four dimensional frame of reference.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2015 11:48:33 AM

No, if for no other reason than it is very unlikely the odds of anything but the most elementary of events (coin toss for example) is 50/50.
jkhiggons
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 11:29:28 AM
No, within the sphere of understanding of humans, it is not possible for God to exist. He would be his own creator, it would wrap back on itself a million times over. So as a creator, no.

As a thing that is everything, sure, why not, that's an easy thing to call God. But it would be just as inanimate as you might choose to define what exists. if you catch my drift
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 12:38:49 PM

There is a possibility that anything exists. THere is a possibility that God just created us 10 seconds ago with all of the knowlege of the past. Anything is possible, you cannot dispropve it. The question if it is reasonable, rational, logical to believe in these kind of certain scenarios, or concepts. It is not logical to believe in God, and it is not a fifty fifty scenario.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2015 11:34:19 PM
At 5/16/2015 12:38:49 PM, Hayd wrote:

There is a possibility that anything exists. THere is a possibility that God just created us 10 seconds ago with all of the knowlege of the past. Anything is possible, you cannot dispropve it. The question if it is reasonable, rational, logical to believe in these kind of certain scenarios, or concepts. It is not logical to believe in God, and it is not a fifty fifty scenario.

Epistemic conversion to the metaphysical.
<>P=<>[]P=[]P
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2015 6:26:39 AM

I agree that logic does not lead to a god probability.
It does however lead to a god possibility.
I can think of more than one way, but I like the one that says it is not logical to believe in no-god.

Can you demonstrate a logical path to no-god?
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2015 6:38:57 AM
At 5/23/2015 6:26:39 AM, Welfare-Worker wrote:

I agree that logic does not lead to a god probability.
It does however lead to a god possibility.
I can think of more than one way, but I like the one that says it is not logical to believe in no-god.

Can you demonstrate a logical path to no-god?

I should have "starts off, it is not logical to believe in no-god".
That could not be the whole argument, just the starting point.