Any flaws in this philosophy?

Mr_Eno_Otu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 6:11:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
"Do what makes you happy, except for anything that violates anyone else."
"La, la, la. Whatever. La, la, la. It doesn't matter. La, la, la. Oh well. La, la, la..."
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 6:39:27 AM
At 5/17/2015 6:11:53 AM, Mr_Eno_Otu wrote:

It is formulated categorically.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Mr_Eno_Otu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 6:50:47 AM

In laymen's terms, that would be?
"La, la, la. Whatever. La, la, la. It doesn't matter. La, la, la. Oh well. La, la, la..."
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 7:11:35 AM
At 5/17/2015 6:50:47 AM, Mr_Eno_Otu wrote:

In laymen's terms, that would be?
A categorical imperative claims to be action guiding without regard for personal desires. If one however takes no interest in the needs of others she can always respond with "what's that to me? I don't care."
:
Mr_Eno_Otu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 7:24:19 AM
A categorical imperative claims to be action guiding without regard for personal desires. If one however takes no interest in the needs of others she can always respond with "what's that to me? I don't care."

So you're saying that that philosophy is flawed in that it shows concern for others by saying, "...except for anything that violates anyone else?"...
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 7:29:23 AM
At 5/17/2015 7:24:19 AM, Mr_Eno_Otu wrote:

So you're saying that that philosophy is flawed in that it shows concern for others by saying, "...except for anything that violates anyone else?"...
I am saying that there is no reason for anyone to be motivated it if they are not already interested in the needs of others. I admit, I am nitpicking.
Moreover what is meant by "violate"? Is buying a t-shirt from a company that treats its workers badly such a violation?
:
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 7:39:02 AM

It's just a demand, and also it's very vague.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
Mr_Eno_Otu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 7:45:07 AM
I am saying that there is no reason for anyone to be motivated it if they are not already interested in the needs of others. I admit, I am nitpicking.
Moreover what is meant by "violate"? Is buying a t-shirt from a company that treats its workers badly such a violation?

A person not presently interested in the needs of others could become so...by "violate" I mean it's general definition...what is a violation I guess is up to personal interpretation...a better philosophy then would be "do what makes you happy, except for anything that you know is violating someone else." Flaws in that philosophy?
Mr_Eno_Otu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 7:53:45 AM
It's just a demand, and also it's very vague.

I see...I was using "philosophy" meaning this definition:

"a set of ideas about how to do something or how to live"

as opposed to this definition:

"the study of ideas about knowledge, truth, the nature and meaning of life, etc."

Sorry about any confusion.
jkhiggons
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 8:28:00 AM
If a violation in this context means an action against another that would be considered criminal, I feel it works (Also if 'what makes you happy' implies anything you do not considered criminal).

If not that exclusively though, I believe the statement is too broad. As others have noted what is considered a violation can differ greatly by person (also what makes one happy).
Mr_Eno_Otu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 8:37:40 AM
At 5/17/2015 8:28:00 AM, jkhiggons wrote:
If a violation in this context means an action against another that would be considered criminal, I feel it works (Also if 'what makes you happy' implies anything you do not considered criminal).

If not that exclusively though, I believe the statement is too broad. As others have noted what is considered a violation can differ greatly by person (also what makes one happy).

I see...thank you.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 9:55:17 AM
At 5/17/2015 7:45:07 AM, Mr_Eno_Otu wrote:

A person not presently interested in the needs of others could become so...by "violate" I mean it's general definition...what is a violation I guess is up to personal interpretation...a better philosophy then would be "do what makes you happy, except for anything that you know is violating someone else." Flaws in that philosophy?
Depending on your interpretation of violation it is possible for your philosophy to either collapse into direct utilitarianism or egoism or basically the present day commonsense morality.
:
Mr_Eno_Otu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 6:36:44 PM
Depending on your interpretation of violation it is possible for your philosophy to either collapse into direct utilitarianism or egoism or basically the present day commonsense morality.

I see...I was unclear about what I meant by "philosophy" in the OP...sorry for any confusion:).
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 6:40:34 PM

It implies that other people matter.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Mr_Eno_Otu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 6:42:51 PM

I see...thank you very much for your answer:).
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 6:43:19 PM
At 5/17/2015 6:42:51 PM, Mr_Eno_Otu wrote:

I see...thank you very much for your answer:).

Lol
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 10:23:32 PM

Yes. Sometimes there are injustices in this world and we cannot allow to continue. Violating someone else is frequently the only means available to the end of justice.
Mr_Eno_Otu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 7:37:02 PM
At 5/17/2015 9:39:23 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
It seems utilitarian to me. Maximize pleasure and Minimize pain.

Interesting...what would be bad in your opinion about a philosophy of "maximize pleasure and minimize pain?"
Mr_Eno_Otu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 7:41:37 PM
Yes. Sometimes there are injustices in this world and we cannot allow to continue. Violating someone else is frequently the only means available to the end of justice.

How would "violating" anyone ever be a form of justice?

I just saw that there are multiple definitions for "violate." I meant this definition:

"to take away, interfere with, or ignore (something, such as a person's rights or privacy) in an unfair or illegal way"
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 7:42:05 PM
At 5/19/2015 7:37:02 PM, Mr_Eno_Otu wrote:
At 5/17/2015 9:39:23 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
It seems utilitarian to me. Maximize pleasure and Minimize pain.

Interesting...what would be bad in your opinion about a philosophy of "maximize pleasure and minimize pain?"

I do not see any problems that would occur in aggregate. The only problems that I see is that it may negatively influence relationships and offend people. Then again, this is not overly bad either.
Mr_Eno_Otu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 7:46:49 PM
I do not see any problems that would occur in aggregate. The only problems that I see is that it may negatively influence relationships and offend people. Then again, this is not overly bad either.

I see...how in your view would it negatively affect a relationship:)...?
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 8:04:10 PM
At 5/19/2015 7:46:49 PM, Mr_Eno_Otu wrote:

I see...how in your view would it negatively affect a relationship:)...?

When a person acts only in a way that provides the most utility and the least pain for a total number of people, it loses track of humanity and emotional states of people. I like to say that utilitarianism is the most rational of the major philosophies because it boils everything down to utility. Unfortunately, relationships cannot survive on rationality alone.
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 8:05:18 PM
At 5/19/2015 7:41:37 PM, Mr_Eno_Otu wrote:

How would "violating" anyone ever be a form of justice?

I just saw that there are multiple definitions for "violate." I meant this definition:

"to take away, interfere with, or ignore (something, such as a person's rights or privacy) in an unfair or illegal way"

What you said here:

Do what makes you happy, except for anything that violates anyone else.

It bears a striking resemblance to this:

The Non-Aggression Principle also called the Non-Aggression Axiom is the idea that each person has the right to make his or her own choices in life so long as they do not involve aggression, defined as the initiation of force or fraud, against others. It is considered by many to be the defining principle of libertarianism.

Lots of libertarians think taxation is aggression and therefore illegitimate. I agree that taxes are aggression, but I see them as necessary for social justice. Using the definition you referenced, taxes would seem to be OK.
mindbender
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2015 1:23:46 AM
"Do what makes you happy, except for anything that violates anyone else." : :

How do you know what you're doing will make you happy? It's best to be happy before you do anything. Then you will never violate anyone else.