Total Posts:44|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The defenition of atheism is stupidity

Furyan5
Posts: 1,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 12:15:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Atheists do not believe a god/gods exist. Nothing is predetermined and we are here by luck. In a universe of utter chaos with no postdetermanism, its amazing we are still here. Life itself, hangs by a thread. Unlike theists, who believe that this life is just some kind of endurance test, and our true lives begin the moment we leave this reality, atheists have no future life. Not even tomorrow is a given. Now be honest! If your belief is that today might be your last, would you spend it on a debating site, demanding proof for a god/gods, in who's existance you claim indifference? Or would you be out, getting high or wasted and generally having the time of your (short/meaningless/unpredictable) life?
I know i would. But then again. I'm not stupid.
Furyan5
Posts: 1,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2015 5:12:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/24/2015 12:15:29 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
Atheists do not believe a god/gods exist. Nothing is predetermined and we are here by luck. In a universe of utter chaos with no postdetermanism, its amazing we are still here. Life itself, hangs by a thread. Unlike theists, who believe that this life is just some kind of endurance test, and our true lives begin the moment we leave this reality, atheists have no future life. Not even tomorrow is a given. Now be honest! If your belief is that today might be your last, would you spend it on a debating site, demanding proof for a god/gods, in who's existance you claim indifference? Or would you be out, getting high or wasted and generally having the time of your (short/meaningless/unpredictable) life?
I know i would. But then again. I'm not stupid.

I am however insensitive. I apologise for what i just typed. I have obviously fallen into the same routine most theists and atheists adopt for one another and this has resulted in my disrespectful behaviour. I am entitled to my beliefs and views but have no right to judge anyone or insult them. So please forgive me. I am but human.

TRUTH IS = EYES OPENED.
DanMGTOW
Posts: 1,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:11:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
DAMN, now that is funny. it is so close to being accurate but still misses the mark

personally i believe in a GOD, but SHE is neither all knowing nor all powerful
however i have discussed this with quite a few atheists, and their argument are very simple. Atheism is the lack of evidence for a GOD ( i would recommend https://www.youtube.com...) every major religion is designed to control the population, and to siphon money/wealth back into the religion.
Furyan5
Posts: 1,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 3:05:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/25/2015 1:11:12 AM, DanMGTOW wrote:
DAMN, now that is funny. it is so close to being accurate but still misses the mark

personally i believe in a GOD, but SHE is neither all knowing nor all powerful
however i have discussed this with quite a few atheists, and their argument are very simple. Atheism is the lack of evidence for a GOD ( i would recommend https://www.youtube.com...) every major religion is designed to control the population, and to siphon money/wealth back into the religion.

To an extent I agree with that way of thinking. GOD (hallowed be thy name) has been replaced by MONEY (thy kingdom come), but there are good people too. Some of that MONEY (thy will be done) helps feed the hungry and ease pain and suffering. The community spirit grows stronger with communion. So what difference does the name matter? MONEY (on earth, as it is in heaven) is as good as any.Thanks for the insight.

TRUTH (IS) = MONEY
n7
Posts: 1,355
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:34:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/24/2015 12:15:29 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
Atheists do not believe a god/gods exist. Nothing is predetermined and we are here by luck. In a universe of utter chaos with no postdetermanism, its amazing we are still here. Life itself, hangs by a thread. Unlike theists, who believe that this life is just some kind of endurance test, and our true lives begin the moment we leave this reality, atheists have no future life. Not even tomorrow is a given. Now be honest! If your belief is that today might be your last, would you spend it on a debating site, demanding proof for a god/gods, in who's existance you claim indifference? Or would you be out, getting high or wasted and generally having the time of your (short/meaningless/unpredictable) life?

The only correct thing in your wall of text is the first sentence. Everything else is completely wrong. If an atheist must have a fixed future they can adopt a TRIV modal logic system or believe in eternalism. Thus believe that objects in the future are already fixed. What's actually wrong with believing in an undetermined universe? Many theists believe so since they believe in free will. In an undetermined universe, you set your own future. In a universe determined by God everything is set for you. No choice given. If you wish to appeal to emotion, you should view your position as remarkably more sad than your strawmanned atheist position.

An atheist view of life seems to be more appreciative than a theists view. If you had an unlimited supply of ice cream, you probably wouldn't appreciate it as much as someone who has a limited supply of ice cream.

I know i would. But then again. I'm not stupid.

Says the guy who misspelled definition and existence.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Furyan5
Posts: 1,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 1:57:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/25/2015 1:34:28 PM, n7 wrote:
At 5/24/2015 12:15:29 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
Atheists do not believe a god/gods exist. Nothing is predetermined and we are here by luck. In a universe of utter chaos with no postdetermanism, its amazing we are still here. Life itself, hangs by a thread. Unlike theists, who believe that this life is just some kind of endurance test, and our true lives begin the moment we leave this reality, atheists have no future life. Not even tomorrow is a given. Now be honest! If your belief is that today might be your last, would you spend it on a debating site, demanding proof for a god/gods, in who's existance you claim indifference? Or would you be out, getting high or wasted and generally having the time of your (short/meaningless/unpredictable) life?


The only correct thing in your wall of text is the first sentence. Everything else is completely wrong. If an atheist must have a fixed future they can adopt a TRIV modal logic system or believe in eternalism. Thus believe that objects in the future are already fixed. What's actually wrong with believing in an undetermined universe? Many theists believe so since they believe in free will. In an undetermined universe, you set your own future. In a universe determined by God everything is set for you. No choice given. If you wish to appeal to emotion, you should view your position as remarkably more sad than your strawmanned atheist position.

So why respond?
n7
Posts: 1,355
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 5:28:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/25/2015 1:57:37 PM, Furyan5 wrote:
At 5/25/2015 1:34:28 PM, n7 wrote:
At 5/24/2015 12:15:29 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
Atheists do not believe a god/gods exist. Nothing is predetermined and we are here by luck. In a universe of utter chaos with no postdetermanism, its amazing we are still here. Life itself, hangs by a thread. Unlike theists, who believe that this life is just some kind of endurance test, and our true lives begin the moment we leave this reality, atheists have no future life. Not even tomorrow is a given. Now be honest! If your belief is that today might be your last, would you spend it on a debating site, demanding proof for a god/gods, in who's existance you claim indifference? Or would you be out, getting high or wasted and generally having the time of your (short/meaningless/unpredictable) life?


The only correct thing in your wall of text is the first sentence. Everything else is completely wrong. If an atheist must have a fixed future they can adopt a TRIV modal logic system or believe in eternalism. Thus believe that objects in the future are already fixed. What's actually wrong with believing in an undetermined universe? Many theists believe so since they believe in free will. In an undetermined universe, you set your own future. In a universe determined by God everything is set for you. No choice given. If you wish to appeal to emotion, you should view your position as remarkably more sad than your strawmanned atheist position.

So why respond?

Are you trolling? Because you didn't address a thing I said.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 7:09:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/24/2015 12:15:29 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
Atheists do not believe a god/gods exist. Nothing is predetermined and we are here by luck. In a universe of utter chaos with no postdetermanism, its amazing we are still here. Life itself, hangs by a thread. Unlike theists, who believe that this life is just some kind of endurance test, and our true lives begin the moment we leave this reality, atheists have no future life. Not even tomorrow is a given. Now be honest! If your belief is that today might be your last, would you spend it on a debating site, demanding proof for a god/gods, in who's existance you claim indifference? Or would you be out, getting high or wasted and generally having the time of your (short/meaningless/unpredictable) life?
I know i would. But then again. I'm not stupid.

Honestly your just such an idiot, go home kid, this is pathetic.
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 7:19:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
ANd how the hell does this belong in the philosophy forum, this forum is for intelligent people to discuss intelligent things, not for idiots like you and your semantics, go to the religion forum and embarrass yourself their.
Adam_Godzilla
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 7:23:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/24/2015 12:15:29 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
Atheists do not believe a god/gods exist. Nothing is predetermined and we are here by luck. In a universe of utter chaos with no postdetermanism, its amazing we are still here. Life itself, hangs by a thread. Unlike theists, who believe that this life is just some kind of endurance test, and our true lives begin the moment we leave this reality, atheists have no future life. Not even tomorrow is a given. Now be honest! If your belief is that today might be your last, would you spend it on a debating site, demanding proof for a god/gods, in who's existance you claim indifference? Or would you be out, getting high or wasted and generally having the time of your (short/meaningless/unpredictable) life?
I know i would. But then again. I'm not stupid.

The definition of atheism is unclear. But atheists don't believe in god because they don't believe in anything fantastical magical. It takes effort to believe in something and no effort at all to believe in nothing.
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
Varrack
Posts: 2,410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 7:26:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/25/2015 7:19:29 PM, Hayd wrote:
ANd how the hell does this belong in the philosophy forum, this forum is for intelligent people to discuss intelligent things, not for idiots like you and your semantics, go to the religion forum and embarrass yourself their.

If he put it in the religion forum it would get at least 300 responses, lol. Seriously, all you need to do is bash atheists and your post will just explode.
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 7:35:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/25/2015 7:26:42 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 5/25/2015 7:19:29 PM, Hayd wrote:
ANd how the hell does this belong in the philosophy forum, this forum is for intelligent people to discuss intelligent things, not for idiots like you and your semantics, go to the religion forum and embarrass yourself their.

If he put it in the religion forum it would get at least 300 responses, lol. Seriously, all you need to do is bash atheists and your post will just explode.

haha true
n7
Posts: 1,355
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 8:28:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/25/2015 7:26:42 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 5/25/2015 7:19:29 PM, Hayd wrote:
ANd how the hell does this belong in the philosophy forum, this forum is for intelligent people to discuss intelligent things, not for idiots like you and your semantics, go to the religion forum and embarrass yourself their.

If he put it in the religion forum it would get at least 300 responses, lol. Seriously, all you need to do is bash atheists and your post will just explode.

All you need to do is post. It doesn't have to be about anything.

http://www.debate.org...

The OP in that thread is literally "Banana penis" and it has tons of replies.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Furyan5
Posts: 1,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2015 11:05:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/25/2015 7:23:30 PM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
At 5/24/2015 12:15:29 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
Atheists do not believe a god/gods exist. Nothing is predetermined and we are here by luck. In a universe of utter chaos with no postdetermanism, its amazing we are still here. Life itself, hangs by a thread. Unlike theists, who believe that this life is just some kind of endurance test, and our true lives begin the moment we leave this reality, atheists have no future life. Not even tomorrow is a given. Now be honest! If your belief is that today might be your last, would you spend it on a debating site, demanding proof for a god/gods, in who's existance you claim indifference? Or would you be out, getting high or wasted and generally having the time of your (short/meaningless/unpredictable) life?
I know i would. But then again. I'm not stupid.

The definition of atheism is unclear. But atheists don't believe in god because they don't believe in anything fantastical magical. It takes effort to believe in something and no effort at all to believe in nothing.

God is not magical. Magic is just science you don't comprehend. I can do things that seem magical to you, merely because I grasp concepts you don't. That doesn't mean I use spells and magic potions. God is real. Just like my abilities are real. But my gift comes from GOD. Only HE decides when I must use it.
Furyan5
Posts: 1,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2015 2:28:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Wow. This is an eye opener. If a person looks at the debate from the eyes of a person who thinks intelligence makes you better in some way than someone less intelligent, the questions people ask make a lot more sense. I'm curious to see if other things have a similar effect. Do people judge a person by their height? How about width? And who decides which is better? Do black people feel superior to yellow people? Do men feel superior to women? Lol imagine people felt superior because they have money? This certainly warrants further investigation. I shall review all my debates from a judgemental perspective and see if they make more sense.

TRUTH (IS) = JUDGEMENTAL
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 3:49:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/24/2015 12:15:29 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
Atheists do not believe a god/gods exist.

Correct. The stupidity here comes from everything afterward.
Furyan5
Posts: 1,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 4:51:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/30/2015 3:49:01 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 5/24/2015 12:15:29 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
Atheists do not believe a god/gods exist.

Correct. The stupidity here comes from everything afterward.

I don't understand what you saying. Please explain.

TRUTH (IS) = CONFUSED
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 6:18:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/30/2015 4:51:49 PM, Furyan5 wrote:
At 5/30/2015 3:49:01 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 5/24/2015 12:15:29 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
Atheists do not believe a god/gods exist.

Correct. The stupidity here comes from everything afterward.

I don't understand what you saying. Please explain.

The title of this thread states that the definition of atheism is stupidity.

Your OP then begins by stating that atheists do not believe in God, to which I responded that you are correct.

The remainder of your thread is a bunch of strawman representations of atheism and ideas that do not follow, to which I pointed out that the stupidity in your understanding of atheism is everything that you incorrectly attribute to atheism which followed your initially correct definition.
Otokage
Posts: 2,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 4:16:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/24/2015 12:15:29 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
Atheists do not believe a god/gods exist. Nothing is predetermined and we are here by luck. In a universe of utter chaos with no postdetermanism, its amazing we are still here. Life itself, hangs by a thread. Unlike theists, who believe that this life is just some kind of endurance test, and our true lives begin the moment we leave this reality, atheists have no future life. Not even tomorrow is a given. Now be honest! If your belief is that today might be your last, would you spend it on a debating site, demanding proof for a god/gods, in who's existance you claim indifference? Or would you be out, getting high or wasted and generally having the time of your (short/meaningless/unpredictable) life?
I know i would. But then again. I'm not stupid.

It would be nice if you made a list of things we atheists are allowed to do so that we are not considered to be wasting our lifes. Thanks.
Furyan5
Posts: 1,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 8:22:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/31/2015 4:16:20 PM, Otokage wrote:
At 5/24/2015 12:15:29 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
Atheists do not believe a god/gods exist. Nothing is predetermined and we are here by luck. In a universe of utter chaos with no postdetermanism, its amazing we are still here. Life itself, hangs by a thread. Unlike theists, who believe that this life is just some kind of endurance test, and our true lives begin the moment we leave this reality, atheists have no future life. Not even tomorrow is a given. Now be honest! If your belief is that today might be your last, would you spend it on a debating site, demanding proof for a god/gods, in who's existance you claim indifference? Or would you be out, getting high or wasted and generally having the time of your (short/meaningless/unpredictable) life?
I know i would. But then again. I'm not stupid.

It would be nice if you made a list of things we atheists are allowed to do so that we are not considered to be wasting our lifes. Thanks.
Lol that's a list only you can write. Do everything that matters to you. Do not do things that don't matter to you. But above all, do what makes you happy.

So sayeth TRUTH (IS)
pvermette
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 8:56:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/24/2015 12:15:29 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
Atheists do not believe a god/gods exist. Nothing is predetermined and we are here by luck. In a universe of utter chaos with no postdetermanism, its amazing we are still here. Life itself, hangs by a thread. Unlike theists, who believe that this life is just some kind of endurance test, and our true lives begin the moment we leave this reality, atheists have no future life. Not even tomorrow is a given. Now be honest! If your belief is that today might be your last, would you spend it on a debating site, demanding proof for a god/gods, in who's existance you claim indifference? Or would you be out, getting high or wasted and generally having the time of your (short/meaningless/unpredictable) life?
I know i would. But then again. I'm not stupid.

Alright I am not quite sure what there is to debate here because your argument refutes itself. The reason why atheists (if you have to call us that) advocate for atheism is not so much for the belief in nothing, but rather the belief in reason and evidence. Famous atheists like Dawkins, the late Hitchens, and Krauss all believe in reason which has led them to reject any theory that does not have significant evidence. The evidence for a personal God is poor.

The other point I would like to mention is the fact that promoting reason, evidence, and science also promotes a higher education among average citizens. If people are constantly begging for more evidence and more information than our quality of life will dramatically improve. Currently we are still living in a time when formal forums can be reviewed online in which the leading post has spelled "existence" incorrectly.
Otokage
Posts: 2,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 3:08:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/31/2015 8:22:36 PM, Furyan5 wrote:
At 5/31/2015 4:16:20 PM, Otokage wrote:
At 5/24/2015 12:15:29 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
Atheists do not believe a god/gods exist. Nothing is predetermined and we are here by luck. In a universe of utter chaos with no postdetermanism, its amazing we are still here. Life itself, hangs by a thread. Unlike theists, who believe that this life is just some kind of endurance test, and our true lives begin the moment we leave this reality, atheists have no future life. Not even tomorrow is a given. Now be honest! If your belief is that today might be your last, would you spend it on a debating site, demanding proof for a god/gods, in who's existance you claim indifference? Or would you be out, getting high or wasted and generally having the time of your (short/meaningless/unpredictable) life?
I know i would. But then again. I'm not stupid.

It would be nice if you made a list of things we atheists are allowed to do so that we are not considered to be wasting our lifes. Thanks.
Lol that's a list only you can write. Do everything that matters to you. Do not do things that don't matter to you. But above all, do what makes you happy.

So sayeth TRUTH (IS)

nice :)
jkhiggons
Posts: 25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 9:24:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/24/2015 12:15:29 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
Atheists do not believe a god/gods exist. Nothing is predetermined and we are here by luck. In a universe of utter chaos with no postdetermanism, its amazing we are still here. Life itself, hangs by a thread. Unlike theists, who believe that this life is just some kind of endurance test, and our true lives begin the moment we leave this reality, atheists have no future life. Not even tomorrow is a given. Now be honest! If your belief is that today might be your last, would you spend it on a debating site, demanding proof for a god/gods, in who's existance you claim indifference? Or would you be out, getting high or wasted and generally having the time of your (short/meaningless/unpredictable) life?
I know i would. But then again. I'm not stupid.

Time is also a factor here...there's alot of time to enjoy things, and some great things you may not yet have access to require time.

As an atheist, I say we have more power to live how we desire.
Furyan5
Posts: 1,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 9:35:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/1/2015 9:24:24 AM, jkhiggons wrote:
At 5/24/2015 12:15:29 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
Atheists do not believe a god/gods exist. Nothing is predetermined and we are here by luck. In a universe of utter chaos with no postdetermanism, its amazing we are still here. Life itself, hangs by a thread. Unlike theists, who believe that this life is just some kind of endurance test, and our true lives begin the moment we leave this reality, atheists have no future life. Not even tomorrow is a given. Now be honest! If your belief is that today might be your last, would you spend it on a debating site, demanding proof for a god/gods, in who's existance you claim indifference? Or would you be out, getting high or wasted and generally having the time of your (short/meaningless/unpredictable) life?
I know i would. But then again. I'm not stupid.

Time is also a factor here...there's alot of time to enjoy things, and some great things you may not yet have access to require time.

As an atheist, I say we have more power to live how we desire.

Time is indeed a factor. It's busy slowing down and will soon come to a stop.
VietTurtle
Posts: 88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 6:16:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/24/2015 12:15:29 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
Atheists do not believe a god/gods exist. Nothing is predetermined and we are here by luck. In a universe of utter chaos with no postdetermanism, its amazing we are still here. Life itself, hangs by a thread. Unlike theists, who believe that this life is just some kind of endurance test, and our true lives begin the moment we leave this reality, atheists have no future life. Not even tomorrow is a given. Now be honest! If your belief is that today might be your last, would you spend it on a debating site, demanding proof for a god/gods, in who's existance you claim indifference? Or would you be out, getting high or wasted and generally having the time of your (short/meaningless/unpredictable) life?
I know i would. But then again. I'm not stupid.

This is all flawed logic. And this is a religious matter not philosophical. your trying to equate it to it but your stretching. No matter what you follow or believe in No one knows one fundamental answer to a question the meaning of life . People are on debate site just for that. To think logically and objectively about complex issues . I live with in my means and work to solve issues on a global scale. and in my free time chill . so yeah if i was dying soon id probably still be or i would just chill like i normally do . most of that is your Opinion. What i talk about is Logic That forum you were on of mine where u scoffed and acted like your Master race and bolted. People lack of logic ,Hence the issue. I live life to the fullest. Just because your some decrepit hermit , SOL your problem mate . Not that you will understand any of this in the first place
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 9:00:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/25/2015 8:28:47 PM, n7 wrote:
At 5/25/2015 7:26:42 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 5/25/2015 7:19:29 PM, Hayd wrote:
ANd how the hell does this belong in the philosophy forum, this forum is for intelligent people to discuss intelligent things, not for idiots like you and your semantics, go to the religion forum and embarrass yourself their.

If he put it in the religion forum it would get at least 300 responses, lol. Seriously, all you need to do is bash atheists and your post will just explode.

All you need to do is post. It doesn't have to be about anything.

http://www.debate.org...

The OP in that thread is literally "Banana penis" and it has tons of replies.

Now I'm sad.

http://www.debate.org...
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 9:34:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/24/2015 12:15:29 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
Atheists do not believe a god/gods exist. Nothing is predetermined and we are here by luck. In a universe of utter chaos with no postdetermanism, its amazing we are still here. Life itself, hangs by a thread. Unlike theists, who believe that this life is just some kind of endurance test, and our true lives begin the moment we leave this reality, atheists have no future life. Not even tomorrow is a given. Now be honest! If your belief is that today might be your last, would you spend it on a debating site, demanding proof for a god/gods, in who's existance you claim indifference? Or would you be out, getting high or wasted and generally having the time of your (short/meaningless/unpredictable) life?
I know i would. But then again. I'm not stupid.

So atheist are stupid. Got it. Sounds sort of immature tho. I think it be stupid to ignore what science has already proven. You be smart to try and reconcile your beliefs and science as much as you can. My father has been a pastor of a church for about years 30 years and he wont deny the big bang. He sees it as a method God used to create the universe. By the way, my last day, I would be banging my wife like there's no tomorrow. Thats it.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 12:58:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The truth is......In fact, "atheism" is a term that should not even exist. No one ever needs to identify himself as a "non-astrologer" or a "non-alchemist." We do not have words for people who doubt that Elvis is still alive or that aliens have traversed the galaxy only to molest ranchers and their cattle.

Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make in the presence of unjustified religious beliefs."
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Chaosism
Posts: 2,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 2:50:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/3/2015 12:58:41 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
The truth is......In fact, "atheism" is a term that should not even exist. No one ever needs to identify himself as a "non-astrologer" or a "non-alchemist." We do not have words for people who doubt that Elvis is still alive or that aliens have traversed the galaxy only to molest ranchers and their cattle.

Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make in the presence of unjustified religious beliefs."


The label of "atheism" reflects an individual's stance on the topic of the existence of one or more gods. Why shouldn't it exist? The definition of this label (as well as agnosticism) is not universally consistent (which is a separate issue), but the label is still useful as a shorthand way of identifying this stance with a word.

In regards to the example label of "non-astrologer", it could be a useful term in the right context or situation, just like "atheism" is in the context of the topic to which it pertains. I would agree that these labels should not be used as a representation of one's own self outside of those related circumstances in that, one shouldn't define who he/she is by what he/she is not.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 3:45:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/3/2015 2:50:35 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 6/3/2015 12:58:41 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
The truth is......In fact, "atheism" is a term that should not even exist. No one ever needs to identify himself as a "non-astrologer" or a "non-alchemist." We do not have words for people who doubt that Elvis is still alive or that aliens have traversed the galaxy only to molest ranchers and their cattle.

Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make in the presence of unjustified religious beliefs."


The label of "atheism" reflects an individual's stance on the topic of the existence of one or more gods. Why shouldn't it exist? The definition of this label (as well as agnosticism) is not universally consistent (which is a separate issue), but the label is still useful as a shorthand way of identifying this stance with a word.

In regards to the example label of "non-astrologer", it could be a useful term in the right context or situation, just like "atheism" is in the context of the topic to which it pertains. I would agree that these labels should not be used as a representation of one's own self outside of those related circumstances in that, one shouldn't define who he/she is by what he/she is not.

Yeah...so, OK. What I mean is, we atheists shouldn't even have to identify ourselves as one in general everyday parameters of conversation. Or, say, when filling out a job application, or in any type of form or questionnaire that asks for religious pref.

I always put "none."

Again, why? I go back to my OP examples. Because atheism is the natural, non-biased, objective, rational, non-agenda-seeking, uninfluenced stance. Like those stances of not believing in astrology or crop circles or telekinesis or the Loch Ness monster.

(I equate the veracity of all those things, BTW, with that of a biblical god, or a risen Jewish carpenter who lived briefly in Palestine some 2000 years ago.)
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.