Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

The butterfly affect

jq
Posts: 12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 4:32:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Ok so.... the butterfly affect states that a small occurrence changes everything in the world, add a small (or large) occurrence and change BOB's life.

Bob woke up today and stepped on a sharp lego.
Everything is theoretically impossible, until its done.
Surrealism
Posts: 265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 4:42:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/2/2015 4:32:44 PM, jq wrote:
Ok so.... the butterfly affect states that a small occurrence changes everything in the world, add a small (or large) occurrence and change BOB's life.


Bob woke up today and stepped on a sharp lego.

Why is this in the philosophy forum? Shouldn't it be in the games forum?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
jq
Posts: 12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 4:52:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/2/2015 4:42:20 PM, Surrealism wrote:
At 6/2/2015 4:32:44 PM, jq wrote:
Ok so.... the butterfly affect states that a small occurrence changes everything in the world, add a small (or large) occurrence and change BOB's life.


Bob woke up today and stepped on a sharp lego.

Why is this in the philosophy forum? Shouldn't it be in the games forum?
yea, but its testing the butterfly theory, through a forum
Everything is theoretically impossible, until its done.
Surrealism
Posts: 265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 4:57:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/2/2015 4:52:53 PM, jq wrote:
At 6/2/2015 4:42:20 PM, Surrealism wrote:
At 6/2/2015 4:32:44 PM, jq wrote:
Ok so.... the butterfly affect states that a small occurrence changes everything in the world, add a small (or large) occurrence and change BOB's life.


Bob woke up today and stepped on a sharp lego.

Why is this in the philosophy forum? Shouldn't it be in the games forum?
yea, but its testing the butterfly theory, through a forum

You're not really testing it. You're just imagining possible scenarios in which a series of events occur that satisfies the criteria of the butterfly effect, but that's irrelevant as rote principles such as these demand empirical testing, not speculative testing.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
jq
Posts: 12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 6:15:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/2/2015 4:57:03 PM, Surrealism wrote:
At 6/2/2015 4:52:53 PM, jq wrote:
At 6/2/2015 4:42:20 PM, Surrealism wrote:
At 6/2/2015 4:32:44 PM, jq wrote:
Ok so.... the butterfly affect states that a small occurrence changes everything in the world, add a small (or large) occurrence and change BOB's life.


Bob woke up today and stepped on a sharp lego.

Why is this in the philosophy forum? Shouldn't it be in the games forum?
yea, but its testing the butterfly theory, through a forum

You're not really testing it. You're just imagining possible scenarios in which a series of events occur that satisfies the criteria of the butterfly effect, but that's irrelevant as rote principles such as these demand empirical testing, not speculative testing.

True, i see your point, but at the same time it is speculative testing, and otherwise, the butterfly theory is nearly impossible to prove. It can however be a substitute of empirical testing in a sense, that as it may not be a likely scenario it is just as likely as any other, so without a doubt, its should be in the "philosophy" section
Everything is theoretically impossible, until its done.
Surrealism
Posts: 265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 7:55:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/2/2015 6:15:44 PM, jq wrote:
At 6/2/2015 4:57:03 PM, Surrealism wrote:
At 6/2/2015 4:52:53 PM, jq wrote:
At 6/2/2015 4:42:20 PM, Surrealism wrote:
At 6/2/2015 4:32:44 PM, jq wrote:
Ok so.... the butterfly affect states that a small occurrence changes everything in the world, add a small (or large) occurrence and change BOB's life.


Bob woke up today and stepped on a sharp lego.

Why is this in the philosophy forum? Shouldn't it be in the games forum?
yea, but its testing the butterfly theory, through a forum

You're not really testing it. You're just imagining possible scenarios in which a series of events occur that satisfies the criteria of the butterfly effect, but that's irrelevant as rote principles such as these demand empirical testing, not speculative testing.

True, i see your point, but at the same time it is speculative testing, and otherwise, the butterfly theory is nearly impossible to prove. It can however be a substitute of empirical testing in a sense, that as it may not be a likely scenario it is just as likely as any other, so without a doubt, its should be in the "philosophy" section

Yes, but I doubt that people are crafting their replies on serious speculation, rather than just what would be amusing. Even if they weren't, these replies are barely any better than blind guesses.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
anonymouswho
Posts: 431
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 11:48:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/2/2015 8:14:13 PM, jq wrote:
yea it would slightly be funny, yes.

Hello jq. The reason why nobody wants to play is because you want us to work with Bob's life, and Bob is a person. On the other post I thought I would test this, so I wrote that a car hits the bird. I knew this would involve bringing a human into it, and you did awesome by taking that person to be Hitler. Nobody wants to play because this is about free will, and it's hard for people to let go of it. God bless you friend.