Jump to topic:

Why are People PC

VietTurtle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 6:36:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
PC stands for Political correctness And i am not talking about politics either . If you dont understand the context Shoo.

I only want to hear First from People Who are PC . Why are you PC? I understand some what the people who aren't PC i want to hear from why PC people are PC
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 7:20:01 PM
At 6/7/2015 6:36:42 AM, VietTurtle wrote:
PC stands for Political correctness And i am not talking about politics either . If you dont understand the context Shoo.

I only want to hear First from People Who are PC . Why are you PC? I understand some what the people who aren't PC i want to hear from why PC people are PC

"Why are People PC"

They lack critical thinking skills. or no thinking skills at all

They are indoctrinated, they don't even know they are PC, you probably won't get anyone to respond who is PC as they think PC is mainstream smart thinking. They will need you to define what PC is.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 7:45:38 PM

"It's trouble you'll get for upsetting people's beliefs, not thanks."
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 10:13:54 PM

People are PeacefulChaos because PeacefulChaos are people. I am PC. You are PC. Don't you see we two make three? To be precise, yes.
VietTurtle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 9:38:26 AM
At 6/9/2015 7:20:01 PM, sadolite wrote:

"Why are People PC"

They are indoctrinated, they don't even know they are PC, you probably won't get anyone to respond who is PC as they think PC is mainstream smart thinking. They will need you to define what PC is.

there in lies the paradox/ conundrum of my work To gain logic they need logic in order to understand why they need it. These PC People aren't helping any one. In fact its spreading stupidity. I cant even tell the difference Btwn Stupid, Trolls and sarcasm any more. Not that in reality there is a difference . I keep trying to understand them but it doesn't make any sense. I keep trying to relate or at least think backwards but . Logic isnt backwards compatible
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 9:52:16 AM

No one would describe themselves as PC since it is an insult cultivated by the right wing 'foaming at the mouth' brigade. There is no PC movement, this was just a rallying call generated by the right wing press, who wish to continue being bigoted and spread hate under the guise of 'common sense'. Anyone who has the courage to oppose the hate spreaders is smeared as being PC.
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 2:16:02 PM
No one would describe themselves as PC since it is an insult cultivated by the right wing 'foaming at the mouth' brigade. There is no PC movement, this was just a rallying call generated by the right wing press, who wish to continue being bigoted and spread hate under the guise of 'common sense'. Anyone who has the courage to oppose the hate spreaders is smeared as being PC.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 3:58:18 PM
"In a practical sense, political correctness involves choosing language which the user believes shows empathy with people of different races, genders, physical abilities, ethnic group, sexual orientation, religious belief, and ideological worldview, among other things. The speaker attempts to use language perceived to be non-pejorative.

Opponents of such language apply the terms politically correct, political correctness, and PC as pejorative objections to what they see as over-sensitivity at the expense of common sense and practicality. Conversely, opponents of political correctness then employed the term politically incorrect to show that they choose to ignore the constraints of politically correct speech.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 3:59:13 PM
At 6/10/2015 3:58:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
"In a practical sense, political correctness involves choosing language which the user believes shows empathy with people of different races, genders, physical abilities, ethnic group, sexual orientation, religious belief, and ideological worldview, among other things. The speaker attempts to use language perceived to be non-pejorative.

Opponents of such language apply the terms politically correct, political correctness, and PC as pejorative objections to what they see as over-sensitivity at the expense of common sense and practicality. Conversely, opponents of political correctness then employed the term politically incorrect to show that they choose to ignore the constraints of politically correct speech.

In other words You called me a poopy head WHAAAAAAA

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 4:29:46 PM
"June 10th " Comedian Jerry Seinfeld recently said he doesn"t perform at colleges anymore because of their stifling PC idiocy. So one student wrote Seinfeld a long, rambling and incoherent response, defending the political correctness at colleges because: "As college students who are engaged in a myriad of social, economic, and political issues, it's our duty to be actively engaged and educated about issues of sexism, racism and prejudice." If someone had first given this delicate snowflake truth serum he instead would have written this: "As a college student of today odds are I will graduate deep in debt with no marketable skills to enter a crappy job market. A crappy job market created by politicians I supported because they were politically correct. My college education will make me incapable of independent thought with the inability to handle future stress of any kind. Sadly, my well over 100 grand in tuition will buy me this one thing only: Making me a total LOSER. However " I do look forward to spending the next 10 years in my parents" basement. My parents? Not so much." P

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 4:38:18 PM

http://i.imgur.com...
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 4:48:49 PM
At 6/10/2015 9:52:16 AM, chui wrote:

It's no guise, most right wing stances are genuinely common sense. The only way that liberals can counter rational arguments is by emotive language or ad hominem fallacies.

Political correctness is the attempt to stifle rational right wing arguments by attacking those who make them by calling them 'bigoted', 'racist' and so on. Such labels are both misapplied and emotive, and simply serve as an alternative to reasoned argument.

This post demonstrated political correctness, in that it employs emotive language such as 'hate-spreaders' and 'bigoted' instead of presenting rational argument against right wing conservativism.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 8:47:56 AM
Yeah, yeah, political correctness is a pejorative term, and it's plenty of fun to disparage PC and try to mock people who try to be PC. But the fact is, PC is just a matter of adjusting your language and actions in such a way as to not offend certain groups of people, it's merely an attempt to make sure our words and our actions don't disadvantage certain groups. If use of a term is experienced as prejudicial by a group of people you apply that term to, then as a matter of courtesy, why not adjust your language accordingly. What's so wrong with that?

I work with people who are handicapped, it's more politically correct to say "people who are handicapped" as opposed to "handicapped people" because they would like to be seen first and foremost as people, and referring to them as people who are handicapped is less offensive. It's not a big deal to reorder your words in an attempt to be kind, and it's pretty damn hypocritical to try to claim that you are the victim if you are simply asked to reorder your words accordingly.

If you really feel you have a right to be a bigoted offensive prick, and you want to defend that right, then I guess you are also OK with being labeled a bigoted offensive prick....hey, it's your right, and we may as well not try to be PC about it.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 10:57:17 AM
At 6/10/2015 4:48:49 PM, Philocat wrote:

It's no guise, most right wing stances are genuinely common sense. The only way that liberals can counter rational arguments is by emotive language or ad hominem fallacies.

Political correctness is the attempt to stifle rational right wing arguments by attacking those who make them by calling them 'bigoted', 'racist' and so on. Such labels are both misapplied and emotive, and simply serve as an alternative to reasoned argument.

This post demonstrated political correctness, in that it employs emotive language such as 'hate-spreaders' and 'bigoted' instead of presenting rational argument against right wing conservativism.

I was trying to be non-pc by using bigoted language and being insulting to the right wing. I would have thought opponents of the 'pc' movement would appreciate that. I can be more liberal if you like and use non-prejudicial language and try to 'understand' you. No doubt you are a victim of your upbringing and its not your fault that you cannot understand. ........ now you can attack me for being pc.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 1:20:52 PM

Oh man...don't even get me started on the absurd level which we have taken political correctness over the past 20 years.

I was chastened a couple weeks ago by a young soccer mom who overheard me use the word "retarded" in reference to a severely-mentally-handicapped child. (not hers--nor does she have one).

I couldn't help it...that was the standard moniker when I was a kid for the unfortunates who were imbued with that handicap

She advised me to say "special needs child."

I remember a movie--I was gonna tell her about it, but decided not to--years ago with Robin Williams as a mentally handicapped an middle-aged adult. He was talking with a younger friend whom he had not seen in years, and when the kid asked him how he was doing with his mental condition he replied...(paraphrasing here)...

"Oh, I am fine. The same. Or at least it feels like it. But everybody else thinks I am different. I went from being retarded to being mentally handicapped to special needs and now to "cognitively challenged." But I still feel the same as always."

Here is an amusing list of the level of absurdness the LibTards have pressed upon us over the years with PC...........

http://tvtropes.org...
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
VietTurtle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 6:03:38 PM

. What would you do to fix the world then ?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 6:13:21 PM
At 6/11/2015 6:03:38 PM, VietTurtle wrote:

. What would you do to fix the world then ?

You can't fix the world. You can only destroy it over and over again. Read a history book. PC is an example of learning nothing from history.

DollarStoreSushi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 6:43:21 PM
I use words that can be considered PC because I work directly with many people with developmental and physical disabilities, as well as their caretakers, families, and advocates. Its important in my work to make all people feel welcomed and comfortable, and the language I use is part of that. Its part of being professional and polite.

Language isn't stagnant, words change and new words are introduced. What was common to say 100 years ago, may not be common or acceptable today. And also people who might have not have had the social/political power to label their own identity in the past are now gaining that. Its one thing to mistakenly use language that offends someone, but I wouldn't keep using a term that I knew was offensive after I'd been corrected once. The language I use is about showing respect by identifying people using the terms they choose for themselves, and using language that refers to the person not the condition or disability.

I don't think we should police language and there are no laws about being nice or polite. If you really feel strongly about being entitled to calling a person a retard, that saying anything else would infringe on your personal liberties, then that's all you. Say whatever you want. But you shouldn't be shocked to find that some people find it offensive and are going to vocalize that to you. And some people just view it as showing a lack of respect and manners.

But you really shouldn't view yourself as one of the last defenders of free speech left in this county just because you don't use all the PC terms... there are more than plenty of people happily using blatantly offensive words to describe other people.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 9:08:46 PM

Yes, the concept certainly does go overboard at times. Then again, would you mind if someone told you, "Hey, you are pretty refined (or whatever compliment) for a Gook..."
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 9:52:24 PM
At 6/11/2015 10:57:17 AM, chui wrote:

I was trying to be non-pc by using bigoted language and being insulting to the right wing. I would have thought opponents of the 'pc' movement would appreciate that. I can be more liberal if you like and use non-prejudicial language and try to 'understand' you. No doubt you are a victim of your upbringing and its not your fault that you cannot understand. ........ now you can attack me for being pc.

Nice work in exposing the language policing employed by the "anti PC" crowd. Oh, cruel irony...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 12:40:14 AM

I'm generally polite to people. I think that 'politically incorrect', in 90% of cases, can simply be replaced with 'being insufferably rude.' A lot of the 'anti-PC' people are just tactless and, generally, a bit stupid when it comes to matters of general etiquette and decency. There are a few legitimately ridiculous PC quibbles, tumblr-level stuff mostly , but calling people f@ggots and niggers doesn't make someone edgy or cool, it just makes them an @ss that anyone with a modicum of intelligence and common decency is incapable of respecting.

Basically, it means that, when I'm talking to someone, I ask myself 'how do I keep this conversation in a productive, detached state?' It's just a question of consideration. Now if someone is freaking out because I missed a letter in LGBTWJL activism, then yeah, that's just someone looking to be self-righteous. But most of PC isn't that, it's common decency, and stupid people tend to act unforgivably rude in 90% of all cases in order to protest 10% of 'PC' cases.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 5:25:42 AM
At 6/11/2015 1:20:52 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Oh man...don't even get me started on the absurd level which we have taken political correctness over the past 20 years.

I was chastened a couple weeks ago by a young soccer mom who overheard me use the word "retarded" in reference to a severely-mentally-handicapped child. (not hers--nor does she have one).

I couldn't help it...that was the standard moniker when I was a kid for the unfortunates who were imbued with that handicap

You feel really "put out" by this, does it upset you that people would rather you don't use the word "retarded"? It sounds like you are looking for sympathy here, someone asked me to say "special needs" instead of retarded, oh boo hoo hoo, is that it?

Perhaps you are just too self absorbed to consider the feelings of others. It sounds like the idea of trying to get along with people and not offend others with careless language is completely lost on you,

OK, so lets put aside political correctness and recognize what you are, socially retarded.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 7:58:04 AM
At 6/11/2015 10:57:17 AM, chui wrote:

I wasn't complaining about your post being non-pc, I was complaining that it was devoid of rational content. Instead, it was almost all emotive.

And what do you mean by a 'victim of my upbringing'? You have no idea what my upbringing was.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 3:26:48 PM

You tell me. Let me ask you this?

- Are you willing to call the West Bank as an "Occupied Territory?"
- Are you willing to call a girl with Downs Syndrome "Retarded" to her face?
- Are you willing to call an Italian a Dego to his face?
- Are you willing to call a Catholics Idol Mary Worshipers
- Will you tell an Eskimo, a homosexual, and an African American this joke:
Q.What do you get when you cross an Eskimo, homo, and African American?
A. A snowblower that doen't work.

If you answer no to any of those questions then you too are politically correct.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 3:29:36 PM

It's no guise, most right wing stances are genuinely common sense.

lol
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 3:38:45 PM
At 6/11/2015 1:20:52 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

I remember a movie--I was gonna tell her about it, but decided not to--years ago with Robin Williams as a mentally handicapped an middle-aged adult. He was talking with a younger friend whom he had not seen in years, and when the kid asked him how he was doing with his mental condition he replied...(paraphrasing here)...

"Oh, I am fine. The same. Or at least it feels like it. But everybody else thinks I am different. I went from being retarded to being mentally handicapped to special needs and now to "cognitively challenged." But I still feel the same as always."

Here is an amusing list of the level of absurdness the LibTards have pressed upon us over the years with PC...........

http://tvtropes.org...

That entire generational excuse is still just an excuse. Stop being a so rude to people. I understand the feeling that words are just words, but they do have power and context and it changes over time.

Someone calling me white cracker 90% of the time is not calling me that to make me feel good about myself. The other 10% may have been in ignorance and there was no intent behind the words, but it is impossible to understand intent unless it is clearly spelled out.

Generation gaps exist and always will exist. you are old, but that does not exclude you from owning the implied context of words you use today.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 6:40:59 PM
At 6/11/2015 8:47:56 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
Yeah, yeah, political correctness is a pejorative term, and it's plenty of fun to disparage PC and try to mock people who try to be PC. But the fact is, PC is just a matter of adjusting your language and actions in such a way as to not offend certain groups of people, it's merely an attempt to make sure our words and our actions don't disadvantage certain groups. If use of a term is experienced as prejudicial by a group of people you apply that term to, then as a matter of courtesy, why not adjust your language accordingly. What's so wrong with that?

I work with people who are handicapped, it's more politically correct to say "people who are handicapped" as opposed to "handicapped people" because they would like to be seen first and foremost as people, and referring to them as people who are handicapped is less offensive. It's not a big deal to reorder your words in an attempt to be kind, and it's pretty damn hypocritical to try to claim that you are the victim if you are simply asked to reorder your words accordingly.

If you really feel you have a right to be a bigoted offensive prick, and you want to defend that right, then I guess you are also OK with being labeled a bigoted offensive prick....hey, it's your right, and we may as well not try to be PC about it.

"why not adjust your language accordingly. What's so wrong with that?"

Because normal people don't spend their time thinking about every little thing that might offend someone somewhere. They just say what they mean. Furthermore what if they forget to be PC? That's the end of their career and ability to earn a living for the next ten or so years. PC is a verminous poison to humanity, the same goes for multiculturalism. Absolute poisons.

Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 8:10:09 PM
At 6/13/2015 6:40:59 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 6/11/2015 8:47:56 AM, Sidewalker wrote:

"why not adjust your language accordingly. What's so wrong with that?"

Because normal people don't spend their time thinking about every little thing that might offend someone somewhere.

Wrong, normal people do think about what they say, and normal people don't want to unnecessarily offend anyone. It's not normal to be socially retarded.

They just say what they mean. Furthermore what if they forget to be PC? That's the end of their career and ability to earn a living for the next ten or so years. PC is a verminous poison to humanity, the same goes for multiculturalism. Absolute poisons.

Oh pulease, it's not "the end of your career and ability to earn a living for the next ten years or so" if you aren't PC....we are simply talking about common courtesy, it's about being considerate of other people's feeling, don't be such a drama queen.
Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 5:59:42 AM
At 6/12/2015 3:29:36 PM, slo1 wrote:

It's no guise, most right wing stances are genuinely common sense.

lol

Wow, what a profound post.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 6:39:46 AM
So much metapragmatics in this forum post!
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...