Jump to topic:

Art

OracleofDelphi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 1:58:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Do you consider anything within the STEM criteria e.g. physics, engineering, mathematic to be a an artistic activity?
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 3:15:01 PM
At 6/8/2015 1:58:31 PM, OracleofDelphi wrote:
Do you consider anything within the STEM criteria e.g. physics, engineering, mathematic to be a an artistic activity?

Sure.

The first of those disciplines you mentioned that often utilizes artistic-type methods--at least IMHO--would be Genetics. Gene splicing; Genetic Modification; Yes...the much maligned GMO! LOL

The way those guys mix and enhance and eradicate and add genes I think can be construed as artistic. As they are creating something. Even something that can arguably called "beauty."

When physicists and Mathematicians create an especially efficient and streamlined Equation--or proof, they sometimes refer to it as "elegant." I like this term and think it has art-like qualities.

Same deal with the software geeks: the coders. There is an art in creating an especially elegant and effective program. And if this program has to do with video, like in those wonderful image-driven movies we love, like Avatar or Jurassic Park or the Avengers..then man, that is definitely art! CGI.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
tarkovsky
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 9:53:28 PM
I sometimes joke math is more art than art. Very often 'doing' math entails coming up with some new and inventive way of looking at something. It just so happens that that something is a mathematical object.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 1:17:02 AM

I consider any action to take a medium and create a new object that conveys a message or appeal not inherent in the mediums components to be art.

So yes.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 4:36:41 AM

Mathgeekjoe would answer with an emphatic 'yes', though he hasn't logged in for a week.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...