Jump to topic:

Doing the wrong things but for justice

stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 11:22:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Is it so wrong if you do the wrong thing for the right reasons. Maybe but I think if the reason is good the it justifys the means. Think about it some rules are ment to be broken sometimes. Sometimes you have to do the wrong thing. For example your best friend is on a railroad track, and the train is comeing. He can not get off the railroad track in time, but there is another track that you can swich to. But on that silde there are three people who are drunk on it. You will have to make the call about who will die, and no matter how you put it isn't that wrong. Wouldn't you want to creat a prefect would?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 1:14:38 AM
At 6/19/2015 11:22:19 AM, stargate wrote:
Is it so wrong if you do the wrong thing for the right reasons. Maybe but I think if the reason is good the it justifys the means. Think about it some rules are ment to be broken sometimes. Sometimes you have to do the wrong thing. For example your best friend is on a railroad track, and the train is comeing. He can not get off the railroad track in time, but there is another track that you can swich to. But on that silde there are three people who are drunk on it. You will have to make the call about who will die, and no matter how you put it isn't that wrong. Wouldn't you want to creat a prefect would?

Which is a more perfect world.. A: a world where no choice has a negative consequence or B: a world where logic is consistent and actions have predictable outcomes?
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 7:02:00 AM
At 6/21/2015 1:14:38 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

Which is a more perfect world.. A: a world where no choice has a negative consequence or B: a world where logic is consistent and actions have predictable outcomes?

To me it is a world were logic is consistent and actions have predictable outcomes.
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 2:08:04 PM

It is wrong to do the wrong thing. But you've said it may be justified if the reason is good. In the example you made, couldn't the choice be justified no matter what call is made?
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 2:11:39 PM
At 6/21/2015 2:08:04 PM, difference wrote:

It is wrong to do the wrong thing. But you've said it may be justified if the reason is good. In the example you made, couldn't the choice be justified no matter what call is made?

That was the point in that example, but hear is another. For example if you had the power to stop crime, and wars for ever would you do it? Most of you would say yes, but would you still do it if you knew that it would me the deaths of billions upon billions of people?
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 2:17:54 PM
At 6/21/2015 2:11:39 PM, stargate wrote:

That was the point in that example, but hear is another. For example if you had the power to stop crime, and wars for ever would you do it? Most of you would say yes, but would you still do it if you knew that it would me the deaths of billions upon billions of people?

Oh, yeah I see what you mean now. Seems it doesn't matter what you do. No, I wouldn't do it.
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 3:57:13 PM
At 6/21/2015 2:17:54 PM, difference wrote:

Oh, yeah I see what you mean now. Seems it doesn't matter what you do. No, I wouldn't do it.

Why, you would be createing a world that is prefect, a world that is safe.
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 4:53:20 PM
At 6/21/2015 3:57:13 PM, stargate wrote:

The reason why I wouldn't is because I don't believe it'd make a difference. A world without war and crime can still be dangerous. Also, what do you mean by perfect?
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 5:22:10 PM
At 6/21/2015 4:53:20 PM, difference wrote:
At 6/21/2015 3:57:13 PM, stargate wrote:

The reason why I wouldn't is because I don't believe it'd make a difference. A world without war and crime can still be dangerous. Also, what do you mean by perfect?

By the prefect world I mean a world that is a uptopia. A world were there is no disasters, diseases. A world were we no longer have to fight to protect a peaceful world. Once war and crime is gone, humanity can move forward, and focus on what really matters. Also who knows maybe we could even start colonzing the stars awhile we are at it.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 7:51:14 PM
At 6/21/2015 7:02:00 AM, stargate wrote:

To me it is a world were logic is consistent and actions have predictable outcomes.

Then the ability to choose between two "bad" things is part of a perfect world.
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 8:42:32 PM
At 6/21/2015 7:51:14 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Maybe, but I want to creat a prefect world before a disaster happens. I want to fix all the worlds problems, and unite us under one flag. I want a world without war, a world without crime, a world without disease, a world where humanity will finally see the bigger picture. I dream of a world where war, and crime are none existent. But I know that will not happen without force. I know that you would be seen as the villain, but I truly believe that the only way to active that dream would be to kill the criminals, and force the world to unite. I know many would die, but I belive that it would be for the greater good human kind.
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 8:44:17 PM
At 6/21/2015 8:42:32 PM, stargate wrote:
At 6/21/2015 7:51:14 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Maybe, but I want to creat a prefect world before a disaster happens. I want to fix all the worlds problems, and unite us under one flag. I want a world without war, a world without crime, a world without disease, a world where humanity will finally see the bigger picture. I dream of a world where war, and crime are none existent. But I know that will not happen without force. I know that you would be seen as the villain, but I truly believe that the only way to active that dream would be to kill the criminals, and force the world to unite. I know many would die, but I belive that it would be for the greater good human kind.

It is ment to say Create a prefect world.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 10:51:42 PM

I saw the title. I thought of Code Geass. I see your profile picture, and it all makes sense.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 10:54:09 PM
At 6/21/2015 10:51:42 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

I saw the title. I thought of Code Geass. I see your profile picture, and it all makes sense.

(I think Code Geass would do it better though).
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 10:58:53 PM
At 6/21/2015 10:54:09 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Do what better?

Regardless,

All hail Lelouch!
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 11:00:01 PM
At 6/21/2015 10:58:53 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

Do what better?

Save the world.

Regardless,

All hail Lelouch!

Excellent. You will not be Geassed.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 11:05:47 PM
If something brings justice, it's not wrong in the first place.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 11:13:27 PM
At 6/21/2015 11:05:47 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Consider this:
You're an FBI agent and in your custody you have a man who you think knows the location of a bomb that will kill at least 3 people.
To find the bomb and save 3 people, you must torture the location out of this man.

But what if he won't soill the location no matter how hard you torture him? What if the onky way for him to tell you the location is if you torture his innocent 7 year old daughter?

Is torturing the innocent 7 year old girl right or wrong?
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 11:14:42 PM

Is it any good? I'm really bored this summer and am considering watching an anime.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 11:19:32 PM
At 6/21/2015 11:13:27 PM, Defro wrote:

Consider this:
You're an FBI agent and in your custody you have a man who you think knows the location of a bomb that will kill at least 3 people.
To find the bomb and save 3 people, you must torture the location out of this man.

But what if he won't soill the location no matter how hard you torture him? What if the onky way for him to tell you the location is if you torture his innocent 7 year old daughter?

Let me rephrase:

Whatever is the most just, is the least wrong.

Torturing an innocent seven year old is not just.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 6:32:46 AM
At 6/21/2015 11:14:42 PM, Defro wrote:

Is it any good? I'm really bored this summer and am considering watching an anime.

It is really good, it is my favorite anime.
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 6:33:10 AM

True
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 6:35:46 AM

Consider this:

I could not torture his daughter, to me that is wrong. I want to create a prefect world but I do not want to lose myself along the way. I would torture him though, just not his daughter.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 9:16:13 AM
At 6/22/2015 6:35:46 AM, stargate wrote:

Consider this:

I could not torture his daughter, to me that is wrong. I want to create a prefect world but I do not want to lose myself along the way. I would torture him though, just not his daughter.

This counters the entire point of your thread. In this scenario, you no longer believe the ends justify the means. You would no longer commit this action even though it is the only way to achieve justice, in this case.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 9:21:09 AM

Consider this:

What if instead of 3 people, the bomb can kill 100 people? Wouldn't torturing the daughter be the right thing to do to save 100 people?
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 9:22:26 AM
At 6/22/2015 9:16:13 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Consider this:

This counters the entire point of your thread. In this scenario, you no longer believe the ends justify the means. You would no longer commit this action even though it is the only way to achieve justice, in this case.

Maybe I would do, I do not for that one. But wouldn't that make me as bad as the people I am trying to stop? Who know maybe I would do it. Now that I am thing about it I would. But, if I did do that I would hate myself afterwords.
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 9:22:57 AM
At 6/22/2015 9:21:09 AM, Defro wrote:

Consider this:

What if instead of 3 people, the bomb can kill 100 people? Wouldn't torturing the daughter be the right thing to do to save 100 people?

Yes at that point I would do no matter what.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 9:23:32 AM
At 6/21/2015 11:14:42 PM, Defro wrote:

Yes, I highly recommend it. The story and development is amazing, and imo it has one of the bests ending I've ever seen.

It's major downside, however, is it's animation/art style. Some people don't like how the characters look since some look skinny. Personally, though, I got used to it rather quickly. After reading One Piece, I kind of got used to weird characters ...
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 9:29:15 AM
At 6/22/2015 9:21:09 AM, Defro wrote:

Consider this:

I know I would do it, but would you?