Jump to topic:

Is Life Meaningless?

shaddamcorrinoIV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2015 9:02:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I just finished reading Albert Camus: The Stranger and I started thinking, I get Camus' idea of the absurd hero but he's going on the assumption that life is meaningless. I however began to wonder; can it be proven that life is meaningless? Life might, upon inspection appear meaningless, but just because it appears meaningless doesn't mena that life is meaningless in an objective sense.
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2015 10:26:27 PM
At 6/28/2015 9:02:05 PM, shaddamcorrinoIV wrote:
I just finished reading Albert Camus: The Stranger and I started thinking, I get Camus' idea of the absurd hero but he's going on the assumption that life is meaningless. I however began to wonder; can it be proven that life is meaningless? Life might, upon inspection appear meaningless, but just because it appears meaningless doesn't mena that life is meaningless in an objective sense.

It's been maybe been twenty years but I remember the same idea but looking at the objective absurd you might find that the subjective perception is gifted, though be it limited by the laws of the objective absurd. In other words, I may be limited but that doesn't mean I need be miserable.

Try Sartre's "No Exit" Endless drama in Hell that will give you nightmares .
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
Yusuf94
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 2:02:46 AM
Well how long do you live life? 60-80 years?
Now, what is that when you compare it with the age of universe. Or when you compare yourself with the universe itself, we're lilliputians against it.
In the end everybody is going down(Grave) every person shall taste death.
No matter how they lived their life.

Example Hitler, killed millions and died without any proper justice being done to those he killed. So there is no proper justice in this world.
No proper love, nothing.

Take some time out and reflect upon your surroundings, upon nature, upon life, search for the ultimate truth. And the truth shall set you free!
Everything is nothing with a twist.
- Kurt Vonnegut
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 7:41:42 AM

if you were to survey all 6 plus billion people on earth on what meaning their life has you would find that many would have no meaning.

The bigger question is whether there is any meaning despite what the individual perceives as the meaning or lack of meaning.

If the perception of the individual is the important view point then it is objectively clear that meaning is what ever you want to make of it or are allowed to make of it as a culmination of your past experiences and overall health.

If the meaning is external to the individual then one would have to have knowledge of that external source to properly identify meaning. It is also objectively clear from a self reported view point that those who claim to have knowledge of the external source that there is no way to identify the accuracy of the claim because there are so many different incompatible claims.

Therefore from our view point meaning is solely derived from the individual. People spend life times of prayer or meditation in search of meaning and never discover the "true" meaning and that is because they were looking external from themselves.
spontaneousASHLEE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 2:14:26 AM
At 6/29/2015 2:02:46 AM, Yusuf94 wrote:
Now, what is that when you compare it with the age of universe. Or when you compare yourself with the universe itself, we're lilliputians against it.

Example Hitler, killed millions and died without any proper justice being done to those he killed. So there is no proper justice in this world.
No proper love, nothing.

Take some time out and reflect upon your surroundings, upon nature, upon life, search for the ultimate truth. And the truth shall set you free!

This is by far one of the most meaningful thing i've read this whole day.
Is that a bird? Is that a plane? Nope, it's just me.
anonymouswho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 12:39:43 AM

Yes, life is meaningless. There have been billions of people who lived before we did, and there are billions of people in the world right now. Excuse me if this is inappropriate, but we all just pop out of our mothers vagina one day, and from that point on we move around and do stuff, such as eat and drink, laugh and cry, live, and then die.

Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity." Ecclesiastes 1:2

I highly recommend Ecclesiastes. The author takes on this very question. He was a king who indulged himself with every lust and desire. In the end, he looked back at all he had accomplished and all the Wisdom he had obtained, and it was all Vanity,

"Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do: and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and there was no profit under the sun." Ecclesiastes 2:11

However, just because our individual lives are meaningless does not mean that there is not an overall purpose.

"For the creature was made SUBJECT TO VANITY, NOT WILLINGLY, but by REASON of HIM who hath SUBJECTED the same in HOPE,
Because the creature itself also shall be DELIVERED from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the CHILDREN OF GOD." Romans 8:20

All is of God. We are all God's Children, and He is making us in His Image. All is Vanity now, but He will deliver the entire world from this vanity that He has subjected us to, and we will all know His Love. Thank you my friend.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 3:48:31 PM

Since Darwin teleology is basically dead. So no, there is no purpose in nature. However contrary to Camus I think one can give her life meaning by herself. Camus called this rejection of the absurd "mutilation of the soul", so I guess you have to decide what makes more sense to you.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 5:27:56 PM
Life is meaningless, cruel, beautiful and short.

We live in a world where the rich are born into lives of luxury and happiness, and the poor into lives of poverty and sadness.

Who emerges as the greater Man? The one who truly lived, who truly experienced life. The more Human one. You decide which of the two that is.

But ultimately, both die, leaving no interesting or lasting impact on the world.
Alpha3141
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 6:21:26 PM
At 7/3/2015 5:27:56 PM, smelisox wrote:
Life is meaningless, cruel, beautiful and short.

We live in a world where the rich are born into lives of luxury and happiness, and the poor into lives of poverty and sadness.

Who emerges as the greater Man? The one who truly lived, who truly experienced life. The more Human one. You decide which of the two that is.

But ultimately, both die, leaving no interesting or lasting impact on the world.

Wow, that's sad
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 10:27:39 AM
As anyone who has ever been on a debate site knows, two things which are impossible to reconcile with 'science' and 'logic' are 'the meaning of life' and 'free-will'. I can assume readers are familiar with several arguments that show that in a universe dominated by physical laws, there is no 'meaning' nor 'free-will' - at best they are illusions.

I won't argue with such arguments - they are for the most part logically sound. But - and its a serious but - life does have meaning, and we do have free will! So what is going on?

It could be that people like me who insist on the reality/existence of meaning and free will are simply deluding ourselves, but in that case I don't know why people who disagree with me tend to be so passionate about it - after all, according to them it doesn't matter anyway so why get so worked up? Perhaps (lacking free will) they just can't help themselves.

If an argument leads a false conclusion, it could be the argument is logically flawed, but I don't think the arguments against meaning and freewill are faulty as such, at least not all of them. Rather the problem is that they are based on faulty assumptions. If the assumptions of the arguments aginst meaning and freewill are faulty then the conclusions will be wrong even if the argument itself is logically sound. I don't say that is the case, but it could be.

So - for me - the fact that there are good arguments against the reality/existene of meaning and free will flies in the face of the obvious fact that life does have meaning and we do have free will. That means we have to examine the fundamental assumptions on which those 'apparently' sound arguments are based - the first step of which is to identify what those assumptions are.

There is a third thing that seems to be in the same class - consciousness. We are all conscious, but despite centuries of examination and cogitation we have no idea how consciousness arises in a brain (which is essentially a lump of meat). It seems logically impossible for consciousness to happen, but as Galileo might have said 'Yet it does'. There is something wrong either with our world-view, or our logic or our assumptions about the physical world that prevents us solving the problem of where consciousness comes from. I think it very likely the same error is what makes it possible to 'prove' (wrongly) that life is meaningless and that there is no such thing as free will.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2015 9:39:03 PM
Is Life Meaningless?

I would say yes if all you do is live and die. Having all the suffering and learning to mean nothing in the end is really quite pointless.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2015 11:04:43 PM
The Buddha taught that the three poisons that lead to suffering are Ignorance, attachment, and aversion.

To ask, "What is the meaning of life?"

Desire for meaning is by nature an attachment. Can life not express itself? Does the idea of a life without meaning seem unpleasant? Perhaps you have an aversion to meaninglessness. The question is absurd, as there doesn't seem to be a clear cut way to answer the question with any well... meaning.

Fundamentally, these thoughts are rooted in ignorance of the true nature of creation.

The noblest pursuit is Truth. The Truth exposes the illusion for the magic that it is, frees you from its bondage, grants the secret to eternal life, and blesses with a peace that surpasses all understanding.

To live for creation is to live with a hole in your heart that can never be filled.. Those who live for creation will not find rest until The Uncreated Truth manifests itself to them and is made real.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 4:39:27 AM
"Meaning" is an incredibly vague term that needs to be defined.

Is there some kind of purpose for humans, as planned by some ethereal entity? No. In that sense, there's no inherent meaning to life. If you consider self-defined purpose as meaning, though, life has meaning if you give it meaning.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 4:42:56 AM
At 7/3/2015 3:48:31 PM, Fkkize wrote:

Since Darwin teleology is basically dead. So no, there is no purpose in nature. However contrary to Camus I think one can give her life meaning by herself. Camus called this rejection of the absurd "mutilation of the soul", so I guess you have to decide what makes more sense to you.

Was Sartre against making one's own meaning in general? I was under the impression that his whole point was that life is inherently an active rebellion against the absurd that never succeeds, as in Sisyphus and the boulder. He was surely against "philosophical suicide" via faith, but I don't think he was opposed to the creation of meaning in such a way that one does not try to ignore the Absurd in the process.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 8:04:43 AM
At 7/8/2015 4:42:56 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 7/3/2015 3:48:31 PM, Fkkize wrote:

Was Sartre
I think you mean Camus.

against making one's own meaning in general? I was under the impression that his whole point was that life is inherently an active rebellion against the absurd that never succeeds, as in Sisyphus and the boulder. He was surely against "philosophical suicide" via faith, but I don't think he was opposed to the creation of meaning in such a way that one does not try to ignore the Absurd in the process.

Let me contrast both views:

Is there meaning or value to be found in life?
Existentialism: Yes
Absurdism: Yes

Is there inherent meaning/value in the world?
E: No.
A: Maybe but mankind will never know.

Is clinging to such inherent values pointless?
E: Yes
A: Yes

Can individuals give meaning/value to their life?
E: Yes, it is essential to do this.
A: Yes, but it is not essential.

Is holding to such values pointless?
E: No, it is the point of existentialism.
A: Maybe.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 9:56:12 PM

I believe your question is answered by Douglas Adams in his most famous novel.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 11:42:47 AM

I think skepticism of existentialism is a sound position. So the assumption that life is meaningless is the "default assumption," since we have no reason to believe it has meaning. Skepticism is rational and default, so I would be skeptical of existentialism.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 9:08:59 PM

Well, life is like a canvas. Meaning is like the paint. Paint your own meaning on the canvas of life, instead of trying to find meaning on a canvas with no paint on it.... :)
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 5:13:54 PM
To live is to experience things, not sit around pondering the meaning of life.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 5:24:02 PM
Well, life is like a canvas. Meaning is like the paint. Paint your own meaning on the canvas of life, instead of trying to find meaning on a canvas with no paint on it.... :)

That's quite good... its an excelent metaphor for my feelings on the matter which I will steal shamelessly.
Lighting
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 11:04:03 AM
There is this archaic notion that still exists today. It is the notion that human beings are special. If you belief that we are somehow separate from all life in earth then that will lead you to the idea of why that is and little by little you will be seeking meaning for all of us.

If you don't belief in this notion you are less likely to ask this question because if you do you have to think about all other life forms and their meaning and whether their meaning is to help us figure out ours.

Do you see the nonsensicality (not sure if this is a word lol) of the question of meaning now?

Now there is a better question to ponder on, I think and it is " is our existence worthless or invaluable?"

Thank you,
Lovetheworld4real
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2015 7:16:58 AM
No. Life is what you make it, if you make your life meaningless that's your choice. But think about how life was created and how it exists today. It's a gift but not a given right, treat it as such. In the wild everything's sole purpose is to reproduce. But with humans it's different, we choose to milk life like other species may not. Life is one of earth's beautiful ornaments that has no reason to appear but does anyways. That's the riveting mystery of life that almost no one can figure out.
Live Love Laugh
Heterodox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2015 8:44:56 AM

Your life doesn't matter to me, I do not know you.
My friend/family lives do.
The value of your lives is based on my own interests.
Not sure I would call that objective.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2015 10:23:48 AM

As you get older life means less, your bank (assets,etc.)account means more.
riveroaks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 4:02:02 AM

Philosophically speaking, life seems to have no purpose other than to preserve and propagate further life.

If we were put here by a Superior Life Form, on purpose, we therefore seem to be accomplishing the purpose of that Superior because we have continued to propagate ourselves for the past 2.6 million years according to archeology.

After somehow placing us here, or seeing that we evolved here, He/She/They gave us each varying motivations to preserve and propagate ourselves. We seek warmth and dryness and cover ourselves in habitations and with clothing to accomplish warmth. We hunt, gather, raise and grow foods to feed ourselves. We drink fresh waters and juices to quench our thirst. We are socially and sexually attracted to each other and form relationships that result in unions, families, clans, tribes, nations, and populations.

We study problems and derive solutions which in turn adds to the growth of knowledge which we record with pictographic and phonetic symbols called writing.

We create tools and instruments which enlarge our knowledge and our physical and mental powers.

Those are all things that we do. For some of us these activities become our purpose. For most mere survival on this planet where we live is our purpose. In death it all eventually comes to an end. Our legacy then becomes that which we have left behind to others in their memories of us or in their use of our inventions.

Whether the Superior who placed us here on this planet is happy or amused with us as a result, we have yet to find out.

In ancient Greek mythology, the Gods created mortal humans merely for their own amusement because immortal life day in and day out was too boring for these Immortals. And thus we find these ancient Greek Gods and Goddesses loving humans and consorting with us as a diversion from their own tedious immortal lives.

That could be the answer. Maybe the ancient Greeks had indeed stumbled upon the truth.

Maybe our true immortal purpose is simply to be loved by the Gods.
riveroaks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 4:15:51 AM
At 8/15/2015 7:16:58 AM, Lovetheworld4real wrote:
No. Life is what you make it, if you make your life meaningless that's your choice. But think about how life was created and how it exists today. It's a gift but not a given right, treat it as such. In the wild everything's sole purpose is to reproduce. But with humans it's different, we choose to milk life like other species may not. Life is one of earth's beautiful ornaments that has no reason to appear but does anyways. That's the riveting mystery of life that almost no one can figure out.

This too is one of my beliefs as well -- that life is a gift and we should enjoy it.

Being that it seems to be a gift, it would seem that there is a Giver of the gift as well.

Thus, if life truly is a gift, which it seems to be, with its many pleasures mixed with pains, then it seems equally true there is a Giver as well.

I believe you are correct about both observations -- that life is a gift and that it was given to us by Someone greater than we are.
riveroaks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 4:17:59 AM
At 7/13/2015 9:08:59 PM, Pase66 wrote:

This is just another way of saying that the accomplishment of one's daily needs is the purpose of life.

It falls short however of explaining the big picture unfortunately.
riveroaks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 4:25:49 AM
At 6/29/2015 2:02:46 AM, Yusuf94 wrote:

No proper love, nothing.

Fast forward to Adolf Hitler (Austrian born German chancellor 1933 to 1945). He did receive justice. He received it by his own hands. He was forced to take his own life to preclude the rest of the world from seizing him, putting him on trial for his many crimes, and executing him. He could not face such submission and lack of self control so he became his own judge, jury, and executioner of himself.

Don't think he escaped justice -- he did not.

The German people of his generation who supported him suffered as well.

Your premise that there was no justice is false.

Now if you were to fast forward to Joseph Stalin, then I would say you were largely correct -- that Stalin who died of a stroke died peacefully after an indulgent and cruel life -- there was no justice for him.

However you cannot be so sure there will be no justice for Stalin in the afterlife, if there is an afterlife. And if there is no afterlife, then Stalin accomplished the forging of a strong nation, second only in strength to the USA, by very harsh means for which he escaped justice. This is rare however. There have been very few Stalins on this planet since the Caesars of ancient Rome.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 9:32:40 PM
Life is a condition. You are alive or you are not. Meaning is something we all must find for ourselves, whether it's in having a family and raising children, being a mentor to others, becoming learned in a field where your work will improve the lot of mankind, or just being a good person and helping others when you can. It's not rocket science, it's the human condition.