Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Neo-Natalism

Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 7:55:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Neo-Natalism: the idea that the existing energy reserves of the Universe should be used towards having the maximum possible number of sentient life forms (living under fairly comfortable conditions) exist. Not all at one time, though.
In order to achieve this, one must waste as little of the Universe's energy supplies as you can without subjecting yourself to a life of unbearable austerity.

You see, there's a limited amount of energy in the Universe. It should be spent on producing as many people as possible and allowing them to live decent lives. A decent amount stretching across as many generations as possible.
Thoughts?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 5:57:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/19/2015 7:55:26 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Neo-Natalism: the idea that the existing energy reserves of the Universe should be used towards having the maximum possible number of sentient life forms (living under fairly comfortable conditions) exist. Not all at one time, though.
In order to achieve this, one must waste as little of the Universe's energy supplies as you can without subjecting yourself to a life of unbearable austerity.

You see, there's a limited amount of energy in the Universe. It should be spent on producing as many people as possible and allowing them to live decent lives. A decent amount stretching across as many generations as possible.
Thoughts?

Producing as many people as possible................................why ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
kp98
Posts: 729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 6:51:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Producing as many people as possible................................why ?

Because V.V. is 21 years old with operating hormones.

When he gets to my age I suspect he'll feel differently.
Fkkize
Posts: 2,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 8:12:42 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/19/2015 7:55:26 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Neo-Natalism: the idea that the existing energy reserves of the Universe should be used towards having the maximum possible number of sentient life forms (living under fairly comfortable conditions) exist. Not all at one time, though.
In order to achieve this, one must waste as little of the Universe's energy supplies as you can without subjecting yourself to a life of unbearable austerity.

You see, there's a limited amount of energy in the Universe. It should be spent on producing as many people as possible and allowing them to live decent lives. A decent amount stretching across as many generations as possible.
Thoughts?
Why not increase the average happiness instead of the total?
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 8:47:04 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/20/2015 5:57:58 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 7/19/2015 7:55:26 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Neo-Natalism: the idea that the existing energy reserves of the Universe should be used towards having the maximum possible number of sentient life forms (living under fairly comfortable conditions) exist. Not all at one time, though.
In order to achieve this, one must waste as little of the Universe's energy supplies as you can without subjecting yourself to a life of unbearable austerity.

You see, there's a limited amount of energy in the Universe. It should be spent on producing as many people as possible and allowing them to live decent lives. A decent amount stretching across as many generations as possible.
Thoughts?

Producing as many people as possible................................why ?

Because it's arguably the best use of the matter in the Universe for the maximum possible number of humans to experience full life.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 8:47:24 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/20/2015 6:51:00 AM, kp98 wrote:
Producing as many people as possible................................why ?

Because V.V. is 21 years old with operating hormones.

When he gets to my age I suspect he'll feel differently.

lol
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Envisage
Posts: 3,648
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 9:10:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/20/2015 8:47:04 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 7/20/2015 5:57:58 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 7/19/2015 7:55:26 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Neo-Natalism: the idea that the existing energy reserves of the Universe should be used towards having the maximum possible number of sentient life forms (living under fairly comfortable conditions) exist. Not all at one time, though.
In order to achieve this, one must waste as little of the Universe's energy supplies as you can without subjecting yourself to a life of unbearable austerity.

You see, there's a limited amount of energy in the Universe. It should be spent on producing as many people as possible and allowing them to live decent lives. A decent amount stretching across as many generations as possible.
Thoughts?

Producing as many people as possible................................why ?

Because it's arguably the best use of the matter in the Universe for the maximum possible number of humans to experience full life.

That is a subjective statement.
ShabShoral
Posts: 4,004
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 2:25:27 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/20/2015 8:47:04 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 7/20/2015 5:57:58 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 7/19/2015 7:55:26 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Neo-Natalism: the idea that the existing energy reserves of the Universe should be used towards having the maximum possible number of sentient life forms (living under fairly comfortable conditions) exist. Not all at one time, though.
In order to achieve this, one must waste as little of the Universe's energy supplies as you can without subjecting yourself to a life of unbearable austerity.

You see, there's a limited amount of energy in the Universe. It should be spent on producing as many people as possible and allowing them to live decent lives. A decent amount stretching across as many generations as possible.
Thoughts?

Producing as many people as possible................................why ?

Because it's arguably the best use of the matter in the Universe for the maximum possible number of humans to experience full life.

What's the justification for that stance?

Disclaimer: I'm an antinatalist and I don't think that I should care about anything that happens past the moment of my death, so you're going to have to expound upon your framework a bit more.
I would prefer not to.
sdavio
Posts: 1,934
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 3:01:45 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/21/2015 2:25:27 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
Disclaimer: I'm an antinatalist and I don't think that I should care about anything that happens past the moment of my death, so you're going to have to expound upon your framework a bit more.

An objectivist antinatalist? Is death your standard of value??
be humble
ShabShoral
Posts: 4,004
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 3:28:42 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/23/2015 3:01:45 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 7/21/2015 2:25:27 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
Disclaimer: I'm an antinatalist and I don't think that I should care about anything that happens past the moment of my death, so you're going to have to expound upon your framework a bit more.

An objectivist antinatalist? Is death your standard of value??

Precisely the opposite - I value autonomy so much that I don't see a justification for putting anyone in the position to choose between living and suicide. I don't think that life itself is horrible or not worthwhile, just that putting someone in the position to make that judgement call is an act of unnecessary force.
I would prefer not to.
sdavio
Posts: 1,934
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 8:01:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/23/2015 3:28:42 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 7/23/2015 3:01:45 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 7/21/2015 2:25:27 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
Disclaimer: I'm an antinatalist and I don't think that I should care about anything that happens past the moment of my death, so you're going to have to expound upon your framework a bit more.

An objectivist antinatalist? Is death your standard of value??

Precisely the opposite - I value autonomy so much that I don't see a justification for putting anyone in the position to choose between living and suicide. I don't think that life itself is horrible or not worthwhile, just that putting someone in the position to make that judgement call is an act of unnecessary force.

So it follows from the absolute value of autonomy that we should put an end to the thing that's the precondition for autonomy?
be humble