Jump to topic:

Neo-Natalism

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 7:55:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Neo-Natalism: the idea that the existing energy reserves of the Universe should be used towards having the maximum possible number of sentient life forms (living under fairly comfortable conditions) exist. Not all at one time, though.
In order to achieve this, one must waste as little of the Universe's energy supplies as you can without subjecting yourself to a life of unbearable austerity.

You see, there's a limited amount of energy in the Universe. It should be spent on producing as many people as possible and allowing them to live decent lives. A decent amount stretching across as many generations as possible.
Thoughts?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 5:57:58 AM
At 7/19/2015 7:55:26 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Neo-Natalism: the idea that the existing energy reserves of the Universe should be used towards having the maximum possible number of sentient life forms (living under fairly comfortable conditions) exist. Not all at one time, though.
In order to achieve this, one must waste as little of the Universe's energy supplies as you can without subjecting yourself to a life of unbearable austerity.

You see, there's a limited amount of energy in the Universe. It should be spent on producing as many people as possible and allowing them to live decent lives. A decent amount stretching across as many generations as possible.
Thoughts?

Producing as many people as possible................................why ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 6:51:00 AM

Because V.V. is 21 years old with operating hormones.

When he gets to my age I suspect he'll feel differently.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 8:12:42 AM

Thoughts?
Why not increase the average happiness instead of the total?
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 8:47:04 AM
At 7/20/2015 5:57:58 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Thoughts?

Because it's arguably the best use of the matter in the Universe for the maximum possible number of humans to experience full life.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 8:47:24 AM
At 7/20/2015 6:51:00 AM, kp98 wrote:

Because V.V. is 21 years old with operating hormones.

When he gets to my age I suspect he'll feel differently.

lol

The DDO Blog:

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 9:10:14 AM
At 7/20/2015 8:47:04 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Thoughts?

Because it's arguably the best use of the matter in the Universe for the maximum possible number of humans to experience full life.

That is a subjective statement.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 2:25:27 AM
At 7/20/2015 8:47:04 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Thoughts?

What's the justification for that stance?

Disclaimer: I'm an antinatalist and I don't think that I should care about anything that happens past the moment of my death, so you're going to have to expound upon your framework a bit more.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 3:01:45 AM
At 7/21/2015 2:25:27 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
Disclaimer: I'm an antinatalist and I don't think that I should care about anything that happens past the moment of my death, so you're going to have to expound upon your framework a bit more.

An objectivist antinatalist? Is death your standard of value??
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 3:28:42 AM
At 7/23/2015 3:01:45 AM, sdavio wrote:

Precisely the opposite - I value autonomy so much that I don't see a justification for putting anyone in the position to choose between living and suicide. I don't think that life itself is horrible or not worthwhile, just that putting someone in the position to make that judgement call is an act of unnecessary force.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 8:01:29 AM
At 7/23/2015 3:28:42 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 7/23/2015 3:01:45 AM, sdavio wrote:

Precisely the opposite - I value autonomy so much that I don't see a justification for putting anyone in the position to choose between living and suicide. I don't think that life itself is horrible or not worthwhile, just that putting someone in the position to make that judgement call is an act of unnecessary force.

So it follows from the absolute value of autonomy that we should put an end to the thing that's the precondition for autonomy?
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx