a) infinite nothingness
b) heaven/hell
c) reincarnation
d) some other sort of noncorporeal existence
e) exactly what/who you are now

Let's hear those answers!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 8:49:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/20/2015 8:29:11 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Lets play!

Before life, there was:

a) infinite nothingness
b) heaven/hell
c) reincarnation

After life, there will be:

a) infinite nothingness
b) heaven/hell
c) reincarnation

I was going to answer this, but then I noticed your avatar.

Did you... did you pull a Kim Kardashian and crop your own child out of your selfie?
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 2:15:07 AM
I've had general anesthesia before. They put you in to a coma and it's rather odd because when you wake up you have no idea how much time has gone by. I figure being dead is a similar experience to being in a coma. It's just nothing.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 2:28:45 AM
Lets play!

Before life, there was:

a) infinite nothingness
b) heaven/hell
c) reincarnation

a) infinite nothingness
b) heaven/hell
c) reincarnation

If by "nothingness" you mean "lack of perception" and not "the nonexistence of everything", then A for both. There's more than enough reason to believe in a causal link between the mind and the body (for instance, drink a few shots and try to explain the effects), so, if the body is destroyed, the mind, the entity which perceptions rely on, would also cease to be, leaving a void wherein nothing is felt or experienced.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 3:41:00 AM
After my death I shall be as I was before birth.... nothing. I will not exist. I can't say the idea is particularly attractive, but being an atheist isn't about taking the easy option is it?
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 8:41:45 AM
Lets play!

Before life, there was:

a) infinite nothingness
b) heaven/hell
c) reincarnation

a) infinite nothingness
b) heaven/hell
c) reincarnation

Can I contest the idea of there being such a thing as "before" and "after" life?
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 1:09:06 PM
Lets play!

Before life, there was:

a) infinite nothingness
b) heaven/hell
c) reincarnation

a) infinite nothingness
b) heaven/hell
c) reincarnation

Are you talking individually or life on earth as a whole?
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 4:49:45 PM
At 7/20/2015 8:49:09 PM, Such wrote:

Did you... did you pull a Kim Kardashian and crop your own child out of your selfie?

Well it's not my child, and it's not a selfie, so I guess that's a "no."
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 4:54:10 PM
At 7/21/2015 2:15:07 AM, Death23 wrote:
I've had general anesthesia before. They put you in to a coma and it's rather odd because when you wake up you have no idea how much time has gone by. I figure being dead is a similar experience to being in a coma. It's just nothing.

These are the closest conditions to being dead, but I have a hard time believing sleeping, coma, and anesthesia are representative of being completely dead. And as far as people who are slightly or temporarily dead, these measures are only for our subjective usage; what death really is, as well as what life really is, remains completely unknown. The best science can do is give a list of attributes of life and death, it cannot capture the essence of it in the least bit.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 5:02:00 PM
At 7/21/2015 2:28:45 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

If by "nothingness" you mean "lack of perception" and not "the nonexistence of everything", then A for both. There's more than enough reason to believe in a causal link between the mind and the body (for instance, drink a few shots and try to explain the effects), so, if the body is destroyed, the mind, the entity which perceptions rely on, would also cease to be, leaving a void wherein nothing is felt or experienced.

A good answer... your distinction between perception and everything seems to imply that you are interpreting a) as a solipsist approach, unless I misunderstand. Are you asking whether I mean that everything is destroyed once I die, as opposed to just me? Or are you asking whether I am completely nonexistent versus simply incapable of perception? I see that I am going to have to expand my options for answers, which I certainly did hope for and expect.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 5:09:13 PM
At 7/21/2015 3:41:00 AM, kp98 wrote:
After my death I shall be as I was before birth.... nothing. I will not exist. I can't say the idea is particularly attractive, but being an atheist isn't about taking the easy option is it?

Definitely what I would have said earlier in life. So if nothingness will come again, do you believe life will not also come again?

I would imagine a Christian would also view themself as taking the road of more difficulty...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 5:13:40 PM
At 7/21/2015 8:41:45 AM, SNP1 wrote:

Can I contest the idea of there being such a thing as "before" and "after" life?

Ah yes, definitely. So how will we go about removing such things? Possibilities off the top of my head:

1) I only perceive my life as having beginning and end. In fact I am always alive, somewhere in between. I can perceive others being born and dying in a relative fashion only because they are not me.

2) The conscious arrow of time, only existing within this universe, is not present before and after death so it is inappropriate for such labels. My consciousness exists outside the universe and is timeless.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 5:16:00 PM
At 7/21/2015 8:44:03 AM, Wylted wrote:
A. And I lie awake at night having panic attacks about it.

Your panic attacks are due to you believing in outcomes which defy logic. Let us come up with some more possibilities that are more logical, and less frightening.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 5:17:17 PM
At 7/21/2015 1:09:06 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Are you talking individually or life on earth as a whole?

My ideas were for the individual, but if there is another perspective I am losing sight of then we should discuss it!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 5:18:20 PM
At 7/21/2015 5:13:40 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Ah yes, definitely. So how will we go about removing such things? Possibilities off the top of my head:

1) I only perceive my life as having beginning and end. In fact I am always alive, somewhere in between. I can perceive others being born and dying in a relative fashion only because they are not me.

2) The conscious arrow of time, only existing within this universe, is not present before and after death so it is inappropriate for such labels. My consciousness exists outside the universe and is timeless.

B-Theory of Time. Noumenally, there is no arrow of time or tensed facts (thus there is no absolute before or absolute after, only subjective ones).
#WarOnDDO
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 6:28:19 PM
At 7/21/2015 5:18:20 PM, SNP1 wrote:

B-Theory of Time. Noumenally, there is no arrow of time or tensed facts (thus there is no absolute before or absolute after, only subjective ones).

Well I think that is a given from a physics-perspective; time is relative and the dimensions of space we inhabit are not as fundamental as we once supposed. But how exactly do you use the phenomenon of tense-less time to explain the noumenon of consciousness at points of time that don't fall within one's life? I mean I will accept that we can fast-forward and rewind subjectively the 34 years I have been alive, but what is my state of affairs in 1800 AD? Or am I not understanding B-Theory well-enough...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 6:50:17 PM
At 7/21/2015 6:28:19 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Well I think that is a given from a physics-perspective; time is relative and the dimensions of space we inhabit are not as fundamental as we once supposed. But how exactly do you use the phenomenon of tense-less time to explain the noumenon of consciousness at points of time that don't fall within one's life? I mean I will accept that we can fast-forward and rewind subjectively the 34 years I have been alive, but what is my state of affairs in 1800 AD? Or am I not understanding B-Theory well-enough...

Well, is 1800 before or after now? Without an arrow of time the ideas of "before" and "after" become absurd. Under the B-Theory of Time there is no arrow of time. We invent one to make sense of our observations, so based off out subject, phenomenal experience 1800 is before now, but under noumenal reality there is no arrow of time and thus it cannot be "before" anything. Even if the consciousness that is me does not exist in 1800 that does not make 1800 before or after me.
#WarOnDDO
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2015 12:29:54 AM
At 7/21/2015 5:02:00 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

A good answer... your distinction between perception and everything seems to imply that you are interpreting a) as a solipsist approach, unless I misunderstand. Are you asking whether I mean that everything is destroyed once I die, as opposed to just me? Or are you asking whether I am completely nonexistent versus simply incapable of perception? I see that I am going to have to expand my options for answers, which I certainly did hope for and expect.

I was talking about the former - whether you meant that everything ceased to be as soon as you did. The latter would be harder for me to argue about because it's very hard to pin down what "I" means in the first place.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2015 1:09:56 AM
At 7/21/2015 5:16:00 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Your panic attacks are due to you believing in outcomes which defy logic. Let us come up with some more possibilities that are more logical, and less frightening.

I think non existence after death is. The biggest possibility. I don't think my panic attacks defy logic at all.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2015 10:52:50 PM
At 7/21/2015 6:50:17 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 7/21/2015 6:28:19 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Well, is 1800 before or after now? Without an arrow of time the ideas of "before" and "after" become absurd. Under the B-Theory of Time there is no arrow of time. We invent one to make sense of our observations, so based off out subject, phenomenal experience 1800 is before now, but under noumenal reality there is no arrow of time and thus it cannot be "before" anything. Even if the consciousness that is me does not exist in 1800 that does not make 1800 before or after me.

Are 'before and after' absurd because time is somehow looped? There is no front and back to a circle. In this case, we would simply wait around each time until we were born again... However I find it absurd that I would live the same exact life repeatedly. Aside from it being somewhat repulsive an idea, quantum mechanics seems to suggest the universe is intrinsically statistical and uncertain. I don't see that jiving with this idea very much.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2015 10:55:15 PM
At 7/22/2015 12:29:54 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 7/21/2015 5:02:00 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

I was talking about the former - whether you meant that everything ceased to be as soon as you did. The latter would be harder for me to argue about because it's very hard to pin down what "I" means in the first place.

Well I meant the latter myself, but I think the former is a good possibility that I failed to include in my list of options...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 6:44:56 AM
At 7/22/2015 1:09:56 AM, Wylted wrote:

I think non existence after death is. The biggest possibility. I don't think my panic attacks defy logic at all.

Well, putting aside the gross illogic of panicking in the first place, I think it is hard to assert that we could just become nothing when we are now clearly something. Things in this universe don't tend to disappear, they tend to change but remain in existence.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 7:24:31 AM
At 7/23/2015 6:44:56 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Well, putting aside the gross illogic of panicking in the first place, I think it is hard to assert that we could just become nothing when we are now clearly something. Things in this universe don't tend to disappear, they tend to change but remain in existence.

I consider consciousness to be a something and I identify as this consciousness that my brain as well as other parts of my anatomy help form. Even if the individual pieces go on to do something else, the consciousness didn't exist at one point, exists now and will cease to exist at some point. It is this non existence that I (identifying as my consciousness) fears.

I think people are just so traumatized by the thought of not existing anymore that they seek religion or immortality through deeds, or they go into denial and think that just because the energy that makes up the anatomy which causes their consciousness will go on, than they too will go on.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 9:00:22 PM
At 7/23/2015 7:24:31 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 7/23/2015 6:44:56 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

I consider consciousness to be a something and I identify as this consciousness that my brain as well as other parts of my anatomy help form. Even if the individual pieces go on to do something else, the consciousness didn't exist at one point, exists now and will cease to exist at some point. It is this non existence that I (identifying as my consciousness) fears.

As you age you are going to discover that life isn't that great - your body and mind start to deteriorate, you lose people and things that you hold dear, and the excitement of being alive becomes dulled with repetition. While death is often viewed as the ultimate loss, and even the ultimate punishment (hence, the villain always dies at the end of stories), it can also be the ultimate release.

I think people are just so traumatized by the thought of not existing anymore that they seek religion or immortality through deeds, or they go into denial and think that just because the energy that makes up the anatomy which causes their consciousness will go on, than they too will go on.

That's true, many people do. Many people insist on more than they have evidence for because it's in their best interest to believe so. But there are others who have just as vicious of reasoning, and these people create a vacuum and plunge their souls into it.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 8:33:24 PM
Lets play!

Before life, there was:

a) infinite nothingness
b) heaven/hell
c) reincarnation

a) infinite nothingness
b) heaven/hell
c) reincarnation

I need an "F" answer option for none of the above.

My take......Before Life there was?

Do you mean before life on Earth that beganthree billion years ago when we were single-cells? If yes than, before life there was a lifeless Earth--but maybe not in the Universe--that began with the Big Bang 14 billion years ago. Before the Big Bang there was God. Who is Eternal.

After Life there will be.....

You mean after our human life? Answer: it depends. Some of us like me who have been Saved by the Grace of God will move on up (like the Jeffersons!) to the next level. What some call Heaven. But some will not, for them there will be Nothing.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 4:29:21 PM
Lets play!

Before life, there was:

a) infinite nothingness
b) heaven/hell
c) reincarnation

a) infinite nothingness
b) heaven/hell
c) reincarnation

I've always thought that once I am dead I will have no impact on my life.

So I don't think about it. Instead I concern myself with what I will do while living.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 11:10:42 PM
Lets play!

Before life, there was:

a) infinite nothingness
b) heaven/hell
c) reincarnation

a) infinite nothingness
b) heaven/hell
c) reincarnation

One cannot argue that the body causes the mind unless you presuppose that the body exists fundamentally outside of mind to begin with (you are begging the question against Monistic Idealism). Either way, there is a strong correlation between certain neural activity and certain mental states. This doesn't mean that neural activity causes mental states. Bernardo Kastrup has an interesting view that I find appealing. Essentially, the brain is the image of the localization process of mind (similar to how "flames" are the image of the process of combustion). If you were to wack me upside the head, this would correlate with my mental life being disturbed. You take this to mean that you wacking me upside the head caused my mental life to be disturbed. It could very well be that the image of you wacking me upside the head is simply what our mental lives interacting looks like from a second-person perspective. If this view is true, then neural activity does not cause the corresponding mental states, the neural activity is just what those mental states look like from an outside view.

So, since the neural activity is simply what the localization of mind looks like, then less neural activity would simply mean an delocalization (expansion) of conscious awareness. Once all the neural activity is dead, then this would mean my consciousness has declenched and become one with the universal consciousness.

There are actually experiments that, prima facie at least, support this view (National Academy of Sciences of the USA, vol 109, No.6, page 2139). They gave patients psilocybin that expanded their consciousness, but decreased their CBF. This would be unlikely if consciousness is dependent on brain activity...However, if brain activity is just what the localization of mind looks like, then the delocalization of consciousness (expansion) should correspond with less neural activity.

This also explains NDEs better than the current materialistic explanation, but I won't get into that because that can open up a whole new can of worms.