Jump to topic:

Laws of logic: contingent or necessary

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 5:01:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Are the laws of logic contingent or necessary?
I only remember hearing in my high school level philosophy class that they are necessary but cannot remember the arguments for why that is.
What arguments are there for the laws of logic being necessary?
What arguments are there for the laws of logic being contingent?
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 5:48:22 PM
I would say the laws of logic serve much as the axioms of Euclidean geometry. The truth of Euclid's axioms cannot be proven using geometry (or they wouldn't be axioms), and the truth of the laws of logic cannot be proven using logic.

The reasons the laws of logic are considered necessarily true are two fold:

1) the plausibility of their general applicability
2) their utility.

1) The laws of logic are certainly plausible. They are so simple that denying them seems madness to deny them - the law of identity 'A is A' is not something a sane man would deny, at least not unless he was on DDO where everything is (rightly) disputed!

2) The utility of the laws lies outside the scope of 'pure logic'. It is an empirical observation that conclusions reached on the basis of the chosen laws matches experience. That (as every amateur logician knows) proves nothing, but it does mean there is good reason to stick with those laws. It might well be possible to construct an internally consistent system of logic on the basis that the law of identity (or of contradiction) is false, but it wouldn't match experience nearly so well.

Were the laws contingent it would be the case that in some 'possible world' they did not hold, so (for example) 'A is A' would be false. I can say (or write) 'The world where A is not A) but I don't think that a world counts as 'possible' simply by being described, does it? I'm not sure....

Is there a logician in the house?
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 6:13:42 PM
I think they would be necessary because a possible world begs the question that it is a possible world and not a non-possible world. The very concept of a possible world would make them necessary.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 7:47:28 PM
They're certainly not contingent, because in order for them to be based on something else, we would have to accept logic in order to identify a logical connection between them. In other words, logic is presumed to be true when one tries to infer it from something else.

Logic is necessary in the sense that it is crucial to the decidability of statements. Logic tells us what's inconsistent, and inconsistency just amounts to ambiguity. So logic and meaning go hand in hand.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 9:14:57 PM
At 7/21/2015 5:01:41 PM, SNP1 wrote:
Are the laws of logic contingent or necessary?
I only remember hearing in my high school level philosophy class that they are necessary but cannot remember the arguments for why that is.
What arguments are there for the laws of logic being necessary?
What arguments are there for the laws of logic being contingent?

Any proposition stating that logic is contingent is, in itself, relying on the necessity of logic, else it could have no solid grounding and thus would be self-negating.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz