Total Posts:68|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Who are your favorite philosophers?

Dookieman
Posts: 130
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 7:50:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Here's my list:

1. Peter Singer. He convinced me to become vegan and got me interested in ethics.

2. Jeff McMahan. McMahan's book "The Ethics of Killing" is brilliant and I find his Time-Relative interest account of the badness of death to be cogent.

3. David Boonin. Boonin provides the best defense of abortion ever put forth.

4. Michael Tooley. He has the most persuasive evidential argument from evil and provides good refutations of arguments for the existence of God.

5. Judith Jarvis Thomson. She devised the violinist analogy which is the most famous thought experiment in moral philosophy.

6. Jeremy Bentham. He is the founder of utilitarianism and was an advocate for the legal rights of women, homosexuals and animals during a time when those kinds of views were radical.
n7
Posts: 1,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 8:06:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
* John Searle
* Michael Huemer (when it comes to perception)
* William Rowe
* Ludwig Wittgenstein
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
unitedandy
Posts: 1,173
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 8:52:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
In no particular order:

1. Alvin Goldman - Pioneer in epistemology. Pretty much single-handedly sparked the externalist position in response to Gettier problems.

2. David Boonin/Don Marquis - Undoubtedly the two best thinkers on the abortion debate. Don't think there's a philosopher who treats opponents as charitably as Boonin, and Marquis constructed easily the best argument against the moral permissibility of abortion.

3. William Rowe - His paper on the evidential argument from evil is probably the most influential piece of philosophy I've ever read.

4. Bill Craig - Dizzyingly well versed in philosophy, cosmology and historical literature. Plus, a phenomenal debater. Disagree with him most of the time, and he can be outrageous at times, but undeniably impressive.

5. John Corvino - Gay rights advocate and persistently good thinker on the issue.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 9:38:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
George Berkeley - The most famous Idealistic philosopher. While the Idealism I adhere to is post-Berkeley (as many of his ideas can be refuted), his influence is undeniable.

William Lane Craig - The thorn in every Atheists side.

Alvin Plantinga - Many good ideas coming from him.

Richard Swinburne - Many good ideas coming from him as well.

Quentin Smith - He is never scared to think outside the box, you have to respect that.

Shelly Kagan - His views on Ethics are really fascinating.
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 4:48:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Peter Singer - Was the first philosopher I read. He convinced be to become vegan and that I should live an ethical life.

Richard Joyce - Convinced me that moral obligations make no sense.

William Rowe - Has the best problem of evil out there.

Susan Haack - Her epistemology is genius.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
n7
Posts: 1,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 5:53:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/27/2015 9:38:37 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
George Berkeley - The most famous Idealistic philosopher. While the Idealism I adhere to is post-Berkeley (as many of his ideas can be refuted), his influence is undeniable.

William Lane Craig - The thorn in every Atheists side.

I thought you found his arguments unconvincing. Something change your mind?
Alvin Plantinga - Many good ideas coming from him.

Richard Swinburne - Many good ideas coming from him as well.

Quentin Smith - He is never scared to think outside the box, you have to respect that.

Shelly Kagan - His views on Ethics are really fascinating.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 5:59:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/27/2015 7:50:27 PM, Dookieman wrote:
Here's my list:

1. Peter Singer. He convinced me to become vegan and got me interested in ethics.

2. Jeff McMahan. McMahan's book "The Ethics of Killing" is brilliant and I find his Time-Relative interest account of the badness of death to be cogent.

3. David Boonin. Boonin provides the best defense of abortion ever put forth.

4. Michael Tooley. He has the most persuasive evidential argument from evil and provides good refutations of arguments for the existence of God.

5. Judith Jarvis Thomson. She devised the violinist analogy which is the most famous thought experiment in moral philosophy.

6. Jeremy Bentham. He is the founder of utilitarianism and was an advocate for the legal rights of women, homosexuals and animals during a time when those kinds of views were radical.

Ewwww, the people you listed are the people my philosophers respond to in disagreement.
Nolite Timere
sadolite
Posts: 8,837
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 1:20:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Who are your favorite philosophers? Donald Trump
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
tejretics
Posts: 6,086
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 4:11:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
PHILOSOPHERS

1. Graham Oppy

He poses the strongest objections to the majority of ontological and cosmological arguments. His debate with W.L. Craig over peer-reviewed journals is an ongoing, fierce battle between legends of analytic philosophy on the kalam cosmological argument.

2. Peter Singer

Legend, and my role model since before I joined DDO. His compelling support of utilitarianism, and his masterpiece, "Animal Liberation," have inspired me in my fight for animal rights, and eventually led into me joining Debate.org to argue in favor of animal rights.

3. Michael Martin

The late Michael Martin, who passed away this year, shall be remembered as another legend of analytic philosophy. His "Atheism: A Philosophical Justification" is a piece of art, nothing less.

4. William Lane Craig

Whether or not you agree with him, it's impossible to *not* be a fan of his. As atheists have said before, every atheist *should* be a "philosophically unsympathetic fan of his". He is, as RT rightly said, a thorn on the side of multiple atheists, with a strong defense of the Principle of Sufficient Reason and the impossibility of infinite regression in his multiple peer-reviewed articles. Personally, I feel it's not his arguments for God that make him a legend as his arguments for philosophical concepts in ontology, metaphysics, and epistemology.

5. Alvin Plantinga

As Craig says, Plantinga is among the most formidable opponents of atheism. His modal ontological argument is rejected by many simply because they don't understand the deep logic behind it -- I myself understood it only recently -- and while it is flawed, it is, nonetheless, a stronger argument than any of Craig's arguments. His reformed epistemology is also a formidable position.

6. Susan Haack

I never thought anyone could come up with a form of epistemic justification that may not face Munchhaussen trilemma. Of course, I know now. Foundherentism -- her epistemology -- is truly, as Fkkize described it, genius. Everybody has to admire this genius of epistemology who attempts -- and may succeed -- in solving one of the deepest problems in epistemology.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
CorieMike
Posts: 67
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 6:22:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
My top 10!

1. Alan Watts
2. Jiddu Krishnamurti
3. Friedrich Nietzsche
4. Bertrand Russell
5. David Hume
6. Carneades
7. Rene Descartes
8. John Locke
9. Sextus Empiricus
10. Immanuel Kant
****Wisdom Begins In Wonder - Socrates****
The path of sound credence is through the thick forest of skepticism - George Jean Nathan
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 6:41:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/29/2015 6:22:26 PM, CorieMike wrote:
My top 10!

1. Alan Watts
2. Jiddu Krishnamurti
3. Friedrich Nietzsche
4. Bertrand Russell
5. David Hume
6. Carneades
Enslaver of Souls, Destroyer of Gods, and Last Great Scholarch of the Academy!

7. Rene Descartes
8. John Locke
9. Sextus Empiricus
10. Immanuel Kant
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 6:44:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/29/2015 4:11:52 PM, tejretics wrote:
PHILOSOPHERS

1. Graham Oppy

He poses the strongest objections to the majority of ontological and cosmological arguments. His debate with W.L. Craig over peer-reviewed journals is an ongoing, fierce battle between legends of analytic philosophy on the kalam cosmological argument.

2. Peter Singer

Legend, and my role model since before I joined DDO. His compelling support of utilitarianism, and his masterpiece, "Animal Liberation," have inspired me in my fight for animal rights, and eventually led into me joining Debate.org to argue in favor of animal rights.

3. Michael Martin

The late Michael Martin, who passed away this year, shall be remembered as another legend of analytic philosophy. His "Atheism: A Philosophical Justification" is a piece of art, nothing less.

4. William Lane Craig

Whether or not you agree with him, it's impossible to *not* be a fan of his. As atheists have said before, every atheist *should* be a "philosophically unsympathetic fan of his". He is, as RT rightly said, a thorn on the side of multiple atheists, with a strong defense of the Principle of Sufficient Reason and the impossibility of infinite regression in his multiple peer-reviewed articles. Personally, I feel it's not his arguments for God that make him a legend as his arguments for philosophical concepts in ontology, metaphysics, and epistemology.
I think he actually knows what he's talking about, as long as it's not about religion or ID.

5. Alvin Plantinga

As Craig says, Plantinga is among the most formidable opponents of atheism. His modal ontological argument is rejected by many simply because they don't understand the deep logic behind it -- I myself understood it only recently -- and while it is flawed, it is, nonetheless, a stronger argument than any of Craig's arguments. His reformed epistemology is also a formidable position.

6. Susan Haack

I never thought anyone could come up with a form of epistemic justification that may not face Munchhaussen trilemma. Of course, I know now. Foundherentism -- her epistemology -- is truly, as Fkkize described it, genius. Everybody has to admire this genius of epistemology who attempts -- and may succeed -- in solving one of the deepest problems in epistemology.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
kasmic
Posts: 1,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 6:49:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
John Stuart Mill hands down my favorite. He made great contributions in many areas of philosophy. His writing is intelligent yet light to read compared to others. I identify personally with some of his life experience and struggles.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
Geogeer
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2015 8:44:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/27/2015 7:50:27 PM, Dookieman wrote:
Here's my list:

1. Peter Singer. He convinced me to become vegan and got me interested in ethics.

2. Jeff McMahan. McMahan's book "The Ethics of Killing" is brilliant and I find his Time-Relative interest account of the badness of death to be cogent.

3. David Boonin. Boonin provides the best defense of abortion ever put forth.

4. Michael Tooley. He has the most persuasive evidential argument from evil and provides good refutations of arguments for the existence of God.

5. Judith Jarvis Thomson. She devised the violinist analogy which is the most famous thought experiment in moral philosophy.

6. Jeremy Bentham. He is the founder of utilitarianism and was an advocate for the legal rights of women, homosexuals and animals during a time when those kinds of views were radical.

Modern:
Peter Kreeft

Older:
Thomas Aquinas

Older yet:
Jesus of Nazareth
ShabShoral
Posts: 3,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 6:54:02 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/27/2015 7:50:27 PM, Dookieman wrote:
5. Judith Jarvis Thomson. She devised the violinist analogy which is the most famous thought experiment in moral philosophy.
Really? I would think that the trolley problem is more widely known.

On-topic:

1. Ayn Rand

2. Aristotle/Aquinas (extensions of the same ideas)

3. Spinoza (minus the extreme rationalism)

4. Locke (and, by extension, Nozick) (minus the epistemology - ethics only)

5, Sartre/Nietzsche/the rest of the existentialists
(Discounting most of their metaphysics and ethics and focusing on sheer will and authenticity)
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
ShabShoral
Posts: 3,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 7:37:18 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/2/2015 7:13:44 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
Peter Singer? Really?

Yeah, seriously... he may be one of the worst philosophers who's actually taken seriously.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 7:54:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/2/2015 6:54:02 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 7/27/2015 7:50:27 PM, Dookieman wrote:
1. Ayn Rand

Shocking.

2. Aristotle/Aquinas (extensions of the same ideas)

3. Spinoza (minus the extreme rationalism)

4. Locke (and, by extension, Nozick) (minus the epistemology - ethics only)

5, Sartre/Nietzsche/the rest of the existentialists
(Discounting most of their metaphysics and ethics and focusing on sheer will and authenticity)

http://www.amazon.com...

^ If you were to ever have children, or a close relative of yours has children (because I saw you say that you're an antinatalist recently), get that for them.

---

I guess the people I'm most interested in at the moment are existentialists.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ShabShoral
Posts: 3,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 8:13:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/2/2015 7:54:25 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/2/2015 6:54:02 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 7/27/2015 7:50:27 PM, Dookieman wrote:
1. Ayn Rand

Shocking.
I know, right?
2. Aristotle/Aquinas (extensions of the same ideas)

3. Spinoza (minus the extreme rationalism)

4. Locke (and, by extension, Nozick) (minus the epistemology - ethics only)

5, Sartre/Nietzsche/the rest of the existentialists
(Discounting most of their metaphysics and ethics and focusing on sheer will and authenticity)

http://www.amazon.com...

^ If you were to ever have children, or a close relative of yours has children (because I saw you say that you're an antinatalist recently), get that for them.
"you'll be sighing with joy as you work on them"
This is hilarious. I would love to have that on my coffee table.
---

I guess the people I'm most interested in at the moment are existentialists.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Philocat
Posts: 728
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 8:14:16 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
1. J.S Mill: he reads very easily, and is by far the most cogent utilitarian I've ever came across. Pretty much my whole political philosophy is based on his combination of rule utilitarianism and rights-theory.

2. William Lane Craig: an invaluable voice in the contemporary debate over God's existence. Without him, the likes of Dawkins and Hitchens would not have a theist counterpart who is actually relatively well known outside of philosophical circles.

3. Richard Swinburne: provides some of the most detailed and thoughtful theistic arguments.

4. Don Marquis: one of the best critiques of abortion ever formulated, and expertly refutes the arguments from the likes of Boonin and Thomson.

5. David Hume: whilst I disagree with a lot of his points, his defence of empiricism is brilliant. His ideas shape a plethora of philosophical debates, including the philosophy of the mind, empiricism, philosophy of language and moral philosophy.
ironslippers
Posts: 511
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 11:00:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/27/2015 7:50:27 PM, Dookieman wrote:
1. Nathan Krusmark
2. Ashleigh Brilliant
3. Wavy Gravy
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers