Jump to topic:

Pantheism

Dookieman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 2:33:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I've noticed that when philosophy of religion is discussed virtually no one talks about pantheism. What are your thoughts on this religious or philosophical worldview?
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 2:43:27 AM
At 7/29/2015 2:33:36 AM, Dookieman wrote:
I've noticed that when philosophy of religion is discussed virtually no one talks about pantheism. What are your thoughts on this religious or philosophical worldview?

Few people advocate it, hence the lack of discussion on the subject. And of those that advocate it, they tend to push it less than others, though how much of that is just because there's fewer of them, vs. just because they tend to be less pushy, is up for debate.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 2:45:27 AM
It seems to be naturalism with semantics. I don't see any ontological difference in a world where Pantheism is true and another where naturalism is true.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 4:55:08 AM
Pantheism is a very inexact term which is why I don't think it should be used. You think God is the universe? Great, but what does that mean?
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 9:04:19 AM
At 7/29/2015 2:45:27 AM, n7 wrote:
It seems to be naturalism with semantics. I don't see any ontological difference in a world where Pantheism is true and another where naturalism is true.

Spinozan pantheism holds that the universe is an intelligent, conscious, omnipotent, omniscient being.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 5:24:45 PM
At 7/30/2015 9:04:19 AM, tejretics wrote:

Spinozan pantheism holds that the universe is an intelligent, conscious, omnipotent, omniscient being.

Yeah, but that's technically panENtheism.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 5:49:52 PM
At 7/30/2015 5:24:45 PM, n7 wrote:

Panentheism holds that God is the same as and beyond the universe. Spinozan pantheism says the universe has those attributes, and is all that exists.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 6:51:27 PM
At 7/30/2015 5:49:52 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 7/30/2015 5:24:45 PM, n7 wrote:

Panentheism holds that God is the same as and beyond the universe. Spinozan pantheism says the universe has those attributes, and is all that exists.

"Spinoza has been described as a pantheist " God is nature " a view identified by many as atheism. But Spinoza denied that he was a pantheist. In a letter to Henry Oldenburg he wrote that "as to the view of certain people that I identify god with nature (taken as a kind of mass or corporeal matter), they are quite mistaken." The confusion is understandable given Spinoza's description of the god he believes in.

By God I understand a being absolutely infinite, i.e., a substance consisting of an infinity of attributes, of which each one expresses an eternal and infinite essence.

There is only one substance in the universe; it is God; and everything else that is, is in God.

The second point above clearly has God and "everything else" as different entities."

http://www.fsmitha.com...