Jump to topic:

What happens after we die?

Dookieman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 2:09:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Post your thoughts/beliefs below. My own view is that death is an eternal sleep so to speak, and that we simply cease to exist.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 6:55:23 AM
At 8/3/2015 2:09:46 AM, Dookieman wrote:
Post your thoughts/beliefs below. My own view is that death is an eternal sleep so to speak, and that we simply cease to exist.

It can't be an eternal sleep and cease to exist. It's one or the other, and no sleeping in no way resembles not existing. We don't die everytime we close our eyes to go to sleep.

As far as I'm concerned regarding death, is that the world stops existing when I die.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 7:17:33 AM
At 8/3/2015 6:55:23 AM, Wylted wrote:

As far as I'm concerned regarding death, is that the world stops existing when I die.

Yeah, I think that that's one of the most helpful ways to think of it.

There's also the idea of living on in the thoughts of others, in the influence that a person has had. My favorite quote on it is from Seneca:

"The deep flood of time will roll over us; some few great men will raise their heads above it, and, though destined at last to depart into the same realms of silence, will battle against oblivion and maintain their ground for long."
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
bobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 7:28:46 AM
Post your thoughts/beliefs below. My own view is that death is an eternal sleep so to speak, and that we simply cease to exist. : :

In order to understand death, you need to know how God created everything.

Think of God's creation as information on a CD-ROM called Eternal Life, a program designed with man, beasts, stars, planets, moons, trees, rocks, water, grass, and life experiences. Each created being within this program comes alive as the program is being played out.

The first part of this program is called the first generation, or first age. This part of the program was designed to teach us who we are and how we were created. It was also designed to teach us what our future is in the next generation, or next age known as the New Heaven and Earth.

Each character in this program, man or beast, exists as information but as the program is played out, each created being experiences a world with visible objects and senses to make him appear real.

Death will only exist in this first age but only as an illusion. This means that death is not our final existence. Each created being has a perspective formed from the created senses so after death, this created being will wake up in new bodies ( flesh ) and begin experiencing a new world that will be completely different than the world he experienced during this first age.

I have lots of knowledge about how we'll experience life in the New Heaven and Earth so if you're interested, let me know.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 7:33:59 AM
The same thing that happens before we're born. Nothing.

My imagination paints a different picture though - one where we first go through hell, forced to witness the ramifications of each and every bad choice we made - followed by a period of heaven, where we witness the ramifications of each and every good choice we made. Then, we either reincarnate into this plane of existence once again for further teachings of the soul, or transcend into a higher state of existence. The end-game being one where our soul is perfectly aligned with the state of Universal God-hood, or perfection.

Of course, this is just my imagination... the realistic side of me can't help but think it'll be nothing more than how it was pre-birth - nothingness. Plus my imagination depends on dualism - which is a human construct.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 8:15:26 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that there is a sentient afterlife with God. The reason I believe this is because of the multiple testimonies of near-death experiences.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 12:40:09 PM

My spacetime worm ends.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 5:07:17 PM
After we die, our morphogenic field loses cohesion. Our life energy is then passed on to other organisms and molecules.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 5:29:03 PM
At 8/3/2015 8:15:26 AM, Philocat wrote:
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that there is a sentient afterlife with God. The reason I believe this is because of the multiple testimonies of near-death experiences.

good point. all those near death stories are the same, huh? all with the white light and the feeling of being with God? the warm glow. meeting all your past loved ones who died. so if that is not true and not about being on your way to heaven than why would everybody have the exact same story?
Explain THAT one atheists who don't believe in afterlife! LOL
God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
TurleDoveSammie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 9:24:39 PM

Thats kind of a sad way to looking at yourself after you die. To, "cease to exist", mmm... nah, Id rather think I might have some home in another dimension thats beyond our dreams and our insightful little minds.
TurleDoveSammie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 9:27:54 PM
At 8/3/2015 7:33:59 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
The same thing that happens before we're born. Nothing.
Mmm, before we are born we have to have been created somehow, so technically nothing really means something. Which means it took "something" to create us to who we are and what we became to be. No such thing as nothing in the sense of being made-alive. or put to death.

My imagination paints a different picture though - one where we first go through hell, forced to witness the ramifications of each and every bad choice we made - followed by a period of heaven, where we witness the ramifications of each and every good choice we made. Then, we either reincarnate into this plane of existence once again for further teachings of the soul, or transcend into a higher state of existence. The end-game being one where our soul is perfectly aligned with the state of Universal God-hood, or perfection.

Of course, this is just my imagination... the realistic side of me can't help but think it'll be nothing more than how it was pre-birth - nothingness. Plus my imagination depends on dualism - which is a human construct.

I see what your saying, the idea of nothingness is to a lack of our memory to which we have no trace of because we are unable to remember the time of pre-birth. And even before pre-birth we cannot see into that idea. Its a hard thing to grasp.
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 9:41:04 PM
I'd rather think I might have some home in another dimension

I'm sure a lot of us atheists would rather think that too! But we can't think it because it's nothing more than wishful thinking.

Life is tough. If we were not genetically programmed to really, really want to live we'd give up at the first set-back in our lives. As it is, it takes a lot to get a person to want to die - we want to live. But death is inevitable, so the idea of 'life after death' is very attractive. But not everyone can put aside logic and don the rose-tinted glasses needed to think that there is anything meaningful after death, however beguiling the idea is.
Berend
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 7:29:28 AM
At 8/3/2015 6:55:23 AM, Wylted wrote:

It can't be an eternal sleep and cease to exist. It's one or the other, and no sleeping in no way resembles not existing. We don't die everytime we close our eyes to go to sleep.

I'm almost certain that people use it as a colloquial statement.

As for what happens, or what I think, it is simple. I do not know. I assume nothing. I don't know. That simple.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 5:28:04 PM

Hell or Heaven (with a probable lengthly detour through pergatory - if this is where I'll end up).
glory_lyfe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 2:54:57 AM
As for what happens, or what I think, it is simple. I do not know. I assume nothing. I don't know. That simple.

That is one way to look at it but the world is not that complex. There is nothing in the world that cannot be observed. Humans have the ability to observe near anything... but not the future or the past. One must also consider Occam's razor (https://en.wikipedia.org... or http://www.merriam-webster.com...'s%20razor). To assume that god exists, and heaven or hell exists is a clear violation of this rule. This is not meant to mean ANY offense to those who believe in god. I am just stating that since nothing of that can be observed it is not scientifically legitimate to consider it true. So what this is not new, science and religion do not agree in general. Occam's razor lends the scientific method to the simplest answer. This is not any religious answer which requires the assumption of a creator or in a polytheistic religion a creation which disagrees with observations. The simplest answer is going to be whichever answer requires no assumptions. In the end the answer which agrees with science is the answer given by Dookieman at the beginning of this debate.

No human can remember what life was like before birth. One could define this as death. After you are alive you are dead (http://www.merriam-webster.com...). Every definition includes no longer and one uses "deprived of life". True none of these can be applied to a baby but a scientific definition would probably be when an animal is incapable of interacting with the world. When you have never lived can you be called an animal? Yes. The currently accepted theory of reality (Einsteins relativity) includes spacetime which declares that the universe is very much predetermined. In layman's terms the future exists over the course of an uncountably infinite points, like perfect quality sounds, on a fourth axis, time is merely the motion of beings through this fourth axis. So you will always exist, we just haven't got there yet. You are already dead, we are just moving to slow to know it.

So you are dead before you are alive and there is no knowledge or memory of this time, the same is true with afterwards. So it requires no assumptions and complies with Occams razor to say that the human mind will interpret death... in no way whatsoever as there will be no mind to interpret death. Humans have no memory of death, or anything before about three years of age. So maybe you did exist then and you can't remember. But again that is an assumption, just like what I said, it doesn't really matter though. Science is on my side whether this is true or not. Because to assume that you can experience life before birth means that you must have a mind outside of the body, which clearly defies all of science as we know it.
You have enemies? Good that means you have stood up for something in your life.
-Winston Churchill
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 6:55:28 AM

There are two conclusions. What you said and the what if ... See, people aren't thinking about this "what if" question correctly. It can be anything. However, if i had to guess what it is, i can just from observance of people now.

We are all characters. Some bright some not. We all do something while we are here. This plane of existence can easily be correlated with a movie. One watches a movie and they are lost in it for 2hrs. That is 2hrs of their life that they lived somewhere else. I am human. I am living this movie. Same idea can be applied. 75years of my life that i lived somewhere else. We are all "gods" if you can see this picture.

Why would the "what if" be logical. Bc if someone asked the universe if it had humans living in it ... the likely answer is no. All an outside observer would see is rocks, fire, and planets. To prove humans, not only must one find this random rock, you must zoom in even closer to see a human. We live in a wonders place, don't stop wondering too easily.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 8:46:43 AM

Our bodies turn to dust and life goes on in the world without us.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 9:07:02 AM

Ok, since I know the secret to existence I feel obligated to explain. Duality is necessary for existence. You can't know what love is without knowing the opposite, Just like you can't know what good is without evil. The problem is with wisdom. In order to gain the wisdom necessary for knowing good and evil and how to properly respond to it, our souls within this body must experience what existing without God is like (evil at differing levels) In order to gain the wisdom of what being without God would again result in if we chose so after death. This life teaches the wisdom of knowing good and evil and how to chose the former as a preferred state. Its the only way to ensure that Satan is the only one to rebel against God out of vanity After life we become wise so as to not become arrogant or vain but to become appreciative of the glory of existing free from evil actions. We will understand evil as absurdity to the point it would be equivalent to an adult embracing the idea that 1 plus 1 equals 1 million. a default learning that is necessary to prepare us for a purity of soul in the afterlife.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 9:07:10 AM

When we die we cease to exist as human beings. I don't believe our consciousness vanishes though. Our memories degrade at death and we wont remember being human, and we will no longer be one consciousness, but many as our body decays into numerous liberated items and joins up with the surrounding environment. Some of our consciousness (I suppose in my theory you can even treat consciousness like chunks of matter; a theory of the conservation of consciousness?) will even go on to become incorporated into the consciousness of other organisms.

Really the only that keeps our identity intact as time ellapses, besides the influence from tangible physical components, such as the chemicals and hormones in our body, are memories.

Memories is one maintain us as individuals from one moment to the next. Without memories, we are new and different individuals with each new passing increment of time. But memories preserve our conscious identities.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 9:11:01 AM
Correction:

When we die we cease to exist as human beings. I don't believe our consciousness vanishes though. Our memories degrade at death and we wont remember being human, and we will no longer be one consciousness, but many as our body decays into numerous liberated items and joins up with the surrounding environment. Some of our consciousness (I suppose in my theory you can even treat consciousness like chunks of matter; a theory of the conservation of consciousness?) will even go on to become incorporated into the consciousness of other organisms.

Really the only that keeps our identity intact as time ellapses, besides the influence from tangible physical components, such as the chemicals and hormones in our body, are memories.

Memories maintain us as individuals from one moment to the next. Without memories, we are new and different individuals with each new passing increment of time. But memories preserve our psychological--(spiritual?)-- identities.
fromantle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 5:38:39 PM

I agree with this view, but many including the non- religious dread the very thought. Others knowing they will be gone seek to leave something of themselves behind. We must overcome this conceited belief in our own importance to face death with a clear mind.
iam_free
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 6:10:41 PM
Post your thoughts/beliefs below. My own view is that death is an eternal sleep so to speak, and that we simply cease to exist. : :

After the body that's writing this post has died, I will remain as invisible information ( wavelengths of energy ) until I awaken in new bodies and experience an infinite number of illusions that God has planned for His men and beasts.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 10:10:40 PM
What happens after we die? No one knows and no living human being will ever know. Anyone who thinks they know is using self affirming bias based on 0 facts and 0 evidence. People who were "clinically dead" and came back didn't die. A lack of oxygen to the brain causes the same sensation in all examples. Hardly evidence.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2015 1:48:38 PM
At 8/11/2015 10:10:40 PM, sadolite wrote:
What happens after we die? No one knows and no living human being will ever know. Anyone who thinks they know is using self affirming bias based on 0 facts and 0 evidence. People who were "clinically dead" and came back didn't die. A lack of oxygen to the brain causes the same sensation in all examples. Hardly evidence.

This world teaches the wisdom of knowing what is good and evil to your soul. After you die your soul, armed with this wisdom, has one last spiritual trial to overcome to solidify your wisdom. The knowledge of knowing good and evil isn't sufficient enough, we all must obtain wisdom to understand and react to them both accordingly. It's a failsafe so that none will ever become as vain as Satan, believing they are better than God. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Logical-mind
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2015 11:02:01 PM
At 8/3/2015 5:29:03 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

good point. all those near death stories are the same, huh? all with the white light and the feeling of being with God? the warm glow. meeting all your past loved ones who died. so if that is not true and not about being on your way to heaven than why would everybody have the exact same story?
God Bless.

Here we go. An article you may find of interest. In short, near death experiences are nothing except a dying brain playing tricks. That's why there are so many stories with similar themes.
http://listverse.com...
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 1:24:00 AM
At 8/15/2015 11:02:01 PM, Logical-mind wrote:
At 8/3/2015 5:29:03 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

God Bless.

Here we go. An article you may find of interest. In short, near death experiences are nothing except a dying brain playing tricks. That's why there are so many stories with similar themes.
http://listverse.com...

Hmm..not really. You'd be suprised how many neurosurgeons have become believers after they began as atheists. In fact N-surgeons might lead the rest of their colleagues for the specialty of MDs who believe in God. Im not sure on this, Id have to research it but I have read a couple books from Neurosurgeons who are Believers. Funny...the ONE MD discipline that deals closest with the Afterlife and they just happen to be the most frequent believers of their peers. wonder why? LOL. God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
Surrealism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 2:54:43 AM
I would say "the end of conscious sensation", but I can't actually imagine what that would entail. It's along similar lines of trying to imagine things in higher than three dimensions. The human mind simply isn't equipped with plainly understanding them.

I can imagine a simple lack of sensation, but I can't imagine lack of consciousness.

In short, I really don't know.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.