Jump to topic:

<1 time dimensions

kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 9:11:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Does any one get a mental picture in their head if they try to imagine living in a universe with a second dimension of time? I don't get anything at all... that is to say I don't get any intutions about what sort of experiences I would have in such a universe or what the physical consequences of >1 time dimensions would be.

Does that mean that a universe with more than one dimension of time is inherently incoherent, or that I am limited in my imagination?
HarrisonJHamilton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 9:25:01 AM
At 8/10/2015 9:11:47 AM, kp98 wrote:
Does any one get a mental picture in their head if they try to imagine living in a universe with a second dimension of time? I don't get anything at all... that is to say I don't get any intutions about what sort of experiences I would have in such a universe or what the physical consequences of >1 time dimensions would be.

Does that mean that a universe with more than one dimension of time is inherently incoherent, or that I am limited in my imagination?

You're not thinking about it right. Your mind can never comprehend anther dimension because you only exist in this one. You could never be in two different timeframes. space and time are both altered in a different dimension, therefore you would not be who you are in this dimension in another dimension.
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 9:33:08 AM
So - if I understand you - you are saying it's because I can't imagine more then one time dimension, not that extra time dimensions are inherently impossible.
iam_free
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 4:48:01 AM

Does that mean that a universe with more than one dimension of time is inherently incoherent, or that I am limited in my imagination? : :

What makes you believe that time is something real?

I know we have clocks and the rotation of earth to see the sky changing over a period of time but do you really understand what time is?
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 5:56:48 AM
At 8/11/2015 4:48:01 AM, iam_free wrote:

Does that mean that a universe with more than one dimension of time is inherently incoherent, or that I am limited in my imagination? : :

I know we have clocks and the rotation of earth to see the sky changing over a period of time but do you really understand what time is?

I agree with i-am free. The fact that humans express time numerically is pure happenstance. The idea that a physicist who believes time can be incorporated into a mathematical formula to express anything other than maybe the concept of speed is somewhat equivalent to their claim as to a belief in God. Some human said time exists therefore its true? Show the physical evidence for the existence of time. Would the idea of time change if it were expressed in letters? If we were taught that say A F equals 6 o'clock, A being the big hand F being the short hand would that change what we think time is. I also find it funny when people say a year on, say Saturn, is a lot longer than a year on earth. This is fallacious reasoning. A year is how long the EARTH takes to make one revolution around the Sun. It isn't how long ANY PLANET takes to make 1 revolution around the sun. Time is a physicists' god. The fact that people are positing a 4th dimension seems rather old hat. Is it not true that people have said for a long time that the spiritual world Is a 4th dimension?
iam_free
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 6:06:15 AM
At 8/11/2015 5:56:48 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 8/11/2015 4:48:01 AM, iam_free wrote:

I agree with i-am free. The fact that humans express time numerically is pure happenstance. The idea that a physicist who believes time can be incorporated into a mathematical formula to express anything other than maybe the concept of speed is somewhat equivalent to their claim as to a belief in God. Some human said time exists therefore its true? Show the physical evidence for the existence of time. Would the idea of time change if it were expressed in letters? If we were taught that say A F equals 6 o'clock, A being the big hand F being the short hand would that change what we think time is. I also find it funny when people say a year on, say Saturn, is a lot longer than a year on earth. This is fallacious reasoning. A year is how long the EARTH takes to make one revolution around the Sun. It isn't how long ANY PLANET takes to make 1 revolution around the sun. Time is a physicists' god. The fact that people are positing a 4th dimension seems rather old hat. Is it not true that people have said for a long time that the spiritual world Is a 4th dimension? : :

Have you noticed that the sense of time changes when you stand at a street corner waiting for the light to turn green and after crossing the street, you meet a friend and talk for two hours?