Jump to topic:

If you had a time machine...

kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 4:18:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
See the big bang, or watch life emerge? Visit Palestine 2000 years ago? What would you choose? And what would you report on return?
Lovetheworld4real
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 1:40:43 AM
If I had a time machine I would destroy it, paradoxes scare me and I don't want to screw up the world. But if I used it I would go to the age of dinosaurs to se what they REALLY looked like.
Live Love Laugh
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 8:37:18 AM
At 8/19/2015 4:18:25 PM, kp98 wrote:
See the big bang, or watch life emerge? Visit Palestine 2000 years ago? What would you choose? And what would you report on return?

I have a time machine, its called a clock. It has neat gears and springs and numbers and hands. Hell,some people even think it actually reflects an existing thing. Hint: it doesn't..
Heterodox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 7:10:52 PM

I'd go to the future where they have realistic sex bots. I'd try and bring a few back with me. Not only for personal use, but so that I could sell one (for a ton of money) or have it reverse engineered and sell millions (for a ton of money). However, if I could only take one back I would probably just keep it for personal use...Who knows how long it would take for it to be reverse engineered.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 2:33:03 PM
I would visit not just one but many turning points in history. Yes, Palestine 2000 years ago to see if any of those biblical miracles did happen. The Big Bang might be problematic since time and space would be a lot different as you got closer in time, not to mention the heat right afterward. A time viewer, now, might be a better idea. The ability to observe but not change would prevent those paradoxes that seem so dangerous and preserve the present.

Let's see, watch Da Vinci paint the Mona Lisa, Michelangelo paint the Cistine Chapel, the Montgolfier brothers and their balloons, Lillienthal and his gliders, so many things to see that it would take a lifetime and more.
Mr_Anderson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 10:17:00 PM
I would go back to maybe the early 18th century and bring with me any new tech and science that I could, launch them forward intellectually, and then see what today looks like.
Rami
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 10:55:40 PM
I agree with the second one; paradoxes shouldn't be trifled with. Because of the butterfly effect, the littlest things you do completely change the future.
Dookieman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 1:09:37 AM

I would definitely love to see the big bang happen. That would be an incredible experience.
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 2:01:40 AM
I would go back in time and write the Back to the Future movies myself... No reporting back...I can't get caught!!!!
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 10:15:53 PM

I would use it to buy the winning tickets for this week's euro millions lottery and win "100 million! If I could use it for a second time It would be great to travel into the future. It would be great to see what the world is like in the year 3000!
Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 9:44:06 PM

Go forward in time to witnesses the heat death of the universe.
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 9:51:50 PM
At 9/6/2015 9:44:06 PM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:

Go forward in time to witnesses the heat death of the universe.

That sounds like it's be a bit melancholy.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 10:32:32 PM
At 9/6/2015 9:51:50 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Go forward in time to witness the heat death of the universe.

I don't think so. I think it would be deep. Even deeper than watching the beginning of the universe, perhaps. Looking out as the trillions of lights slowly flicker out one by one, victims of the unstoppable expansion, thinking about all that has been accomplished in the entire human history being just an infinitesimal fraction of just one of those lights. And that's even if we colonized yhe entire galaxy.

Looking out at the rest of the universe and thinking how much more may have been accomplished out there billions of years before or after human life ceased to exist. The millions of other civilizations that may have come and gone like us by that point, did they make the same mistakes we did? Did they share our tears of sorrow? of joy? pain? laughter? Or did they simply give in to hopelessness like so much of mankind was prone to do, thinking of this moment I now experience and thinking because of this inevitable heat death that their lives were wasted or pointless? How wrong they were!

And as it neared the point where I would have to turn back or else disappear forever my hand would hover over the time machines button and after just a split second of hesitation I would announce out loud, to nobody in particular, "All good stories must come to an end." Before pressing down lightly, willing the device to return me home to my own time.

"But not yet."

Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 10:59:53 PM
At 9/6/2015 10:32:32 PM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:

I don't think so. I think it would be deep. Even deeper than watching the beginning of the universe, perhaps. Looking out as the trillions of lights slowly flicker out one by one, victims of the unstoppable expansion, thinking about all that has been accomplished in the entire human history being just an infinitesimal fraction of just one of those lights. And that's even if we colonized yhe entire galaxy.

Looking out at the rest of the universe and thinking how much more may have been accomplished out there billions of years before or after human life ceased to exist. The millions of other civilizations that may have come and gone like us by that point, did they make the same mistakes we did? Did they share our tears of sorrow? of joy? pain? laughter? Or did they simply give in to hopelessness like so much of mankind was prone to do, thinking of this moment I now experience and thinking because of this inevitable heat death that their lives were wasted or pointless? How wrong they were!

And as it neared the point where I would have to turn back or else disappear forever my hand would hover over the time machines button and after just a split second of hesitation I would announce out loud, to nobody in particular, "All good stories must come to an end." Before pressing down lightly, willing the device to return me home to my own time.

"But not yet."

Well then.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 11:07:25 PM
At 9/6/2015 10:59:53 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

"But not yet."

Well then.

Yeah. Way too much time on my hands =/

Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 11:26:36 PM
At 9/6/2015 11:07:25 PM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:
At 9/6/2015 10:59:53 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

"But not yet."

Well then.

Yeah. Way too much time on my hands =/

Lol

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 11:33:08 PM
I like this time period. My number one priority is finding hygienic women to fvck, and women from the past are dirty. I do like dark skin chicks though, so maybe during the Roman Empire. I think the Romans probably bathed an adequate amount of times, and I would enjoying fvcking some Italian woman with good hygiene .
Karan_m
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 5:21:24 AM
If I had one,I would like to re-enjoy all the joyful moments of my life till now.Also,I would like to see the revolution happened by various inventions in past.
TanzaFights
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 10:26:56 AM
As any fellow Whovian would tell you, this would be inadvisable. You could easily step on a plant or an insect or sneeze somewhere and disrupt the entire timeline, as the fifth Treehouse of Horror episode (The Simpsons) so liberally demonstrated. You could even erase yourself...
Going forward in time would also be risky. Since the 'present' is always changing the future prior to becoming the past, you would probably be thrown into millions of different versions of the future, each one so utterly confusing and simple at the same time that you may well turn into a pineapple on the spot (if spots exist in this time...thing). So, an observational time machine in which you cannot interact with the past (and vice versa) would be the best. Sadly, this means the TARDIS wouldn't be a sensible option...
But what is sensible, anyway?
EXPLOSIONS