Jump to topic:

Love for Oneself but Hate for the World

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2015 3:55:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I used to believe a person hated the world because he, or she, hated oneself. However, I've come to realize a person hates the world because he, or she, loves oneself too much.

In loving oneself and despising the world, the individual does not wish to escape himself, or herself, through physical and emotional isolation, neither is he, or she, trying to hide from the rest of the world for shame or embarrassment, but the individual is trying to shut out that which he, or she, hates, namely, the "world". By "world", I mean his, or her, society. The individual is not unhappy because he, or she, dislikes oneself; the individual is unhappy because he, or she, dislikes a world that does not match the world of his, or her, ideals. His, or her, associations are loved and desired in as much as they share like-minded ideologies.
Lovetheworld4real
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 1:48:56 AM
I can confidently say I love myself, but I don't hate the world (as is said by my title), I hate the people that ruin it. I find it impossible to watch it burn. I once thought of going off the grid and abandoning the world, but I can't, because the world needs every helper it can get; that would be quitting.
Live Love Laugh
riveroaks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 6:29:19 AM
At 8/20/2015 3:55:07 AM, s-anthony wrote:
I used to believe a person hated the world because he, or she, hated oneself. However, I've come to realize a person hates the world because he, or she, loves oneself too much.

In loving oneself and despising the world, the individual does not wish to escape himself, or herself, through physical and emotional isolation, neither is he, or she, trying to hide from the rest of the world for shame or embarrassment, but the individual is trying to shut out that which he, or she, hates, namely, the "world". By "world", I mean his, or her, society. The individual is not unhappy because he, or she, dislikes oneself; the individual is unhappy because he, or she, dislikes a world that does not match the world of his, or her, ideals. His, or her, associations are loved and desired in as much as they share like-minded ideologies.

This theory (actually a hypothesis at this early point) of yours sounds simply like narcissism.

Have you studied and read about narcissism yet?

It is normally the first step in a downward spiral through psychosis which leads through borderline personality disorder, then socio-pathology, then finally psychopathology. This is how serial killers develop.

Clue ... .
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 3:39:29 PM
I can confidently say I love myself, but I don't hate the world (as is said by my title), I hate the people that ruin it. I find it impossible to watch it burn. I once thought of going off the grid and abandoning the world, but I can't, because the world needs every helper it can get; that would be quitting.

Hating the people that comprise the world is hating the world.

You would not wish to abandon something you love.

In changing the world you hate, it is clear you wish to conform it to your ideals.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 4:00:26 PM
This theory (actually a hypothesis at this early point) of yours sounds simply like narcissism.

Have you studied and read about narcissism yet?

It is normally the first step in a downward spiral through psychosis which leads through borderline personality disorder, then socio-pathology, then finally psychopathology. This is how serial killers develop.

Clue ... .

I agree disproportionately loving oneself too much is narcissistic. A healthy individual balances the love for oneself with a love for others. Not only is selfishness, if taken too far, unhealthy for the individual by promoting isolation and loneliness but, on a larger scale, it goes toward the disintegration of society.
Lovetheworld4real
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 4:06:57 PM
That is true in some aspects that I do want to somehow change the world, but hating the people that compromise it is not hating the world. It's like having your house being slowly destroyed by other people. You love your house but you hate the people that destroy it. So therefore I do not hate earth, but the people who destroy it.
Live Love Laugh
j50wells
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 9:11:25 PM

I think knowledge can lead to someone hating the world. When a person comes to an understanding of things, they will then see how stupid and insane everyone else is. Many people who reach this understanding become hermits because they can't bear the agony of seeing real life people in action. Many of these hermits become sages. And then, if they are seekers, they fall back in love with the world. It is then that they go with a message to help people out. This is probably what happened with Jesus. We know it is what happened to Buddha.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 6:24:31 AM
That is true in some aspects that I do want to somehow change the world, but hating the people that compromise it is not hating the world. It's like having your house being slowly destroyed by other people. You love your house but you hate the people that destroy it. So therefore I do not hate earth, but the people who destroy it.

The only problem I see with this logic is the fact the earth is not distinctly your own. Secondly, you are in competition for natural resources (In other words, you consume them) just like everyone else. Why is it OK for you to have a carbon footprint but not for others?

In saying that, I must say this: I agree; there are people, selfish people, who consume, horde, and waste more than their fair share; and, their greed is deserving of your hate. However, I believe the bulk of humanity is simply trying to survive. We who are affluent could always do more to share and conserve.
Lovetheworld4real
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 3:51:12 AM
I do not view the world as my own, and people can choose to make a "carbon footprint" of their own. What I am trying to get across to you is that this world is worth saving and if you look around you might see why. I would appreciate it if you stopped contradicting my views please.
Live Love Laugh
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 11:53:51 AM

The word "hate" is a bit overused in my opinion. I dislike a lot of things about this world, but this is because I have logical reasons to dislike this things, and as you have said, the way these things are, clash with the way I think they should be. But this doesn't mean i "hate" these things. Nonconformism is not necessarily a position of "hatred towards", in my case, it is instead of "constructive criticism towards".

About the "i hate myself and thus I hate the world" issue. I believe this can perfectly be the case. In my personal experience, I have seen a lot of guys that are angry with themselves, and thus they can not help but being angry with the world.