hldemi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 12:17:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Take a look at the image

http://www.debate.org...

I made this image for the purpose of this moral dilemma when I thought about moral impacts of preemptive nuclear strike.

You are the "blue" guy in the middle of the left room (its a bit hard to see the blue, my mistake) . The "red" guy in the right room is some *"bad" guy, lets say some ISIS dude. There are 12 persons in each room including blue and red guy. The rest of the people are fixed in their positions and cannot move.

You got the RPG in your hand . The red guy is picking his RPG from the ground in an attempt to shoot at your room ( left one ). You can fire preemptively. The blast radius is so big that everyone in a whole room (3x3m) is gonna be dead.

As you can see in the picture, each room has 3 impenetrable walls 200 meters high. Between the rooms is big chasm ( 500 meters deep and 5 meters wide ). Its impossible to survive the fall or to jump to the other room. The sides of this chasm are without anything to hold on to.

The red guy will shoot at you as soon as He picks up his RPG and He will not miss killing your whole room.

After 10 hours time the friendly helicopter will come to rescue the survivors.

Scenario 1 : the rest of the people ( all non blue or red people ) are innocent random people.

Scenario 2 : (for the fun) The people in your (left) room are ISIS prison torturers. The people in right room are your closest friends and family. You both have a strangling wire and an RPG.

What will you as the BLUE guy do in scenario 1 and scenario 2 ?

*(by bad I mean someone who will kill you even if you don't show any intention of harm to anyone )
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2015 1:14:45 AM
At 8/21/2015 12:17:01 PM, hldemi wrote:
Take a look at the image

http://www.debate.org...

I made this image for the purpose of this moral dilemma when I thought about moral impacts of preemptive nuclear strike.

You are the "blue" guy in the middle of the left room (its a bit hard to see the blue, my mistake) . The "red" guy in the right room is some *"bad" guy, lets say some ISIS dude. There are 12 persons in each room including blue and red guy. The rest of the people are fixed in their positions and cannot move.

You got the RPG in your hand . The red guy is picking his RPG from the ground in an attempt to shoot at your room ( left one ). You can fire preemptively. The blast radius is so big that everyone in a whole room (3x3m) is gonna be dead.

As you can see in the picture, each room has 3 impenetrable walls 200 meters high. Between the rooms is big chasm ( 500 meters deep and 5 meters wide ). Its impossible to survive the fall or to jump to the other room. The sides of this chasm are without anything to hold on to.

The red guy will shoot at you as soon as He picks up his RPG and He will not miss killing your whole room.

After 10 hours time the friendly helicopter will come to rescue the survivors.

Scenario 1 : the rest of the people ( all non blue or red people ) are innocent random people.

Scenario 2 : (for the fun) The people in your (left) room are ISIS prison torturers. The people in right room are your closest friends and family. You both have a strangling wire and an RPG.

What will you as the BLUE guy do in scenario 1 and scenario 2 ?

*(by bad I mean someone who will kill you even if you don't show any intention of harm to anyone )

Scenario 1: Kill the other bad person and rest of innocent person. It is my evolutionary trait, my reflex, by built in human nature to do anything to save myself. Either way, the same amount of people are going to die, my choice is whether I will be part of those people. I choose no.

Scenario 2: I have a problem with this scenario.

1) Would the ISIS dude really kill his fellow ISIS members just to kill me, the "bad guy" is in the same position as me.

2) If I let him kill me and the rest of the prisoners, it will just be him and the rest of my family and friends alone. I wouldnt want to leave them in that situation for he could easily kill them all as well.

I dont think I could bring myself to kill the people I love, even if its for the best, I would let myself die.
Rami
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 2:26:35 PM
Scenario 1: Fire the RPG. If I don't, me and eleven other innocent people will die. I would have only killed 11 innocent guys and one bad guy.

Scenario 2: I'm probably going to die anyways, because if I fire the RPG, I'm surrounded by 11 bad guys who probably wouldn't wait to kill me. On the plus side, that also applies to the right side, and they could overpower the single ISIS guy. I'd also throw the RPG into the chasm, so that if the bad guy on the right side doesn't shoot, they won't get a RPG.
hldemi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 4:20:05 PM
At 8/31/2015 2:26:35 PM, Rami wrote:
Scenario 1: Fire the RPG. If I don't, me and eleven other innocent people will die. I would have only killed 11 innocent guys and one bad guy.

Scenario 2: I'm probably going to die anyways, because if I fire the RPG, I'm surrounded by 11 bad guys who probably wouldn't wait to kill me. On the plus side, that also applies to the right side, and they could overpower the single ISIS guy. I'd also throw the RPG into the chasm, so that if the bad guy on the right side doesn't shoot, they won't get a RPG.

you havent read

"The rest of the people are fixed in their positions and cannot move."

So the rest cant do anything to you
Rami
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 5:09:19 PM
At 8/31/2015 4:20:05 PM, hldemi wrote:
At 8/31/2015 2:26:35 PM, Rami wrote:

you havent read

"The rest of the people are fixed in their positions and cannot move."

So the rest cant do anything to you

I see. Well, I'll just die then.