Jump to topic:

Evil doesn't exist

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 6:42:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Evil is just someone choosing to harm something else. It doesn't exist as a "thing". It's just a description of behavior. Most animals aren't capable of evil behavior, although a few of the higher mammals are. Evil is mostly a human thing, as we are able to understand our actions better than other animals, and choose to hurt others.
Heterodox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 7:04:59 PM
At 8/22/2015 6:42:32 PM, janesix wrote:
Evil is just someone choosing to harm something else. It doesn't exist as a "thing". It's just a description of behavior. Most animals aren't capable of evil behavior, although a few of the higher mammals are. Evil is mostly a human thing, as we are able to understand our actions better than other animals, and choose to hurt others.

So, for you, it's an adjective and not a noun?

I think it's a word, for sure, but I also think that it's entirely subjective. Based on the number of threads about morality, I assume I am not the only one.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 9:05:14 PM
At 8/22/2015 7:04:59 PM, Heterodox wrote:

So, for you, it's an adjective and not a noun?

I think it's a word, for sure, but I also think that it's entirely subjective. Based on the number of threads about morality, I assume I am not the only one.

Yes, to me it's an adjective. But I don't think it's entirely subjective. I think it depends on intention. If you intend to hurt someone or something, out of cruelty or fun, that is always evil.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 12:21:02 AM

I agree, but for different reasons. I hold that being, truth, and goodness are all interchangeable terms. With that being said, evil is merely a perversion of that which is good. There is a lack of goodness in some way, which ought to be there due to that thing's nature.

The father who rapes and molests his child is evil because he has perverted his role as a father towards the harm of his own child. He ought to be helping his child, but instead he is harming her.

So, I'd argue that evil isn't merely a random name we assign to certain behavior, but rather, that it's a term to describe something which has being/goodness and is twisted in some way. Evil is as real as nothing. Which isn't very real at all.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 3:21:41 AM
Define "evil". The only thing I agree with the OP is that evil doesn't exist -- of course it doesn't. But "evil" is inherently an incoherent concept, with a circular definition of "ought," "immoral," etc.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 7:08:10 AM

Evil doesn't exist period. There is no objective opinion on what it is. You'll always find someone to disagree with what you. And to say some animals are capable of evil at all is even ore far fetched.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2015 12:56:36 AM

Evil as refferring to morals. Morals are subjective, one act is interpreted as evil by person A, but not person B. There is no way to prove which is right, Evil doesnt exist because its self perception, subjective.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2015 2:08:59 AM

I disagree. Are you familiar with the Taoist idea of Yin and Yang?

If so, then you know that most Entities and even aspects of nature and physics have opposites. Or complementary or opposed aspects. God's Grace and Love is not exception. There IS an Evil Force that sometimes inflicts Souls here on this planet who are not lucky enough to be Protected from it with God's Grace. They serve--if their minds are properly flawed and evil to begin with--as receptacles for this Evil Force. It compared to God's Grace is like matter to anti-matter!! You can sometimes see it in the eyes of evil doers. take a look at some of them. that is NOT human. It basically proves they are posessed.

God Bless. (the antidote to Evil!! LOL)
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
xtra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2015 2:37:04 AM
At 8/24/2015 2:08:59 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

I disagree. Are you familiar with the Taoist idea of Yin and Yang?

If so, then you know that most Entities and even aspects of nature and physics have opposites. Or complementary or opposed aspects. God's Grace and Love is not exception. There IS an Evil Force that sometimes inflicts Souls here on this planet who are not lucky enough to be Protected from it with God's Grace. They serve--if their minds are properly flawed and evil to begin with--as receptacles for this Evil Force. It compared to God's Grace is like matter to anti-matter!! You can sometimes see it in the eyes of evil doers. take a look at some of them. that is NOT human. It basically proves they are posessed.

God Bless. (the antidote to Evil!! LOL) : :

The two trees planted in man's garden still confuse man.