Jump to topic:

What is reality?

GilgameShiva
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 8:29:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have personally struggled with this question, and I simply don't think "I think therefore I am" cuts it. Why does everything in the universe seem to "line up" such as our planet being habitable or the mass of an atom, but so much just....doesn't. Like dark matter, or even our own history. Is reality simply what we perceive or is there more to it? It seems like no matter how small we go, (cells make up body, atoms make up cells, build giant machine to smash atoms to see what makes up them) or how big we go (big bang theory, string theory, brane theory, infinite universes) it seems answers are always just out of reach. Is everyone a reflection of me, or am I a reflection of everyone else? Why does the golden rule and various religious teachings seem to support this? Is physical perception the bottom line? If so, do certain people and animals experience a different reality? I believe that in order to truly understand anything or everything, we must first define the most basic of all perceptions. What is reality?
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 9:43:42 AM
Sgt. Barnes
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 3:21:51 PM
At 8/29/2015 8:29:37 AM, GilgameShiva wrote:
I have personally struggled with this question, and I simply don't think "I think therefore I am" cuts it. Why does everything in the universe seem to "line up" such as our planet being habitable or the mass of an atom, but so much just....doesn't. Like dark matter, or even our own history. Is reality simply what we perceive or is there more to it? It seems like no matter how small we go, (cells make up body, atoms make up cells, build giant machine to smash atoms to see what makes up them) or how big we go (big bang theory, string theory, brane theory, infinite universes) it seems answers are always just out of reach. Is everyone a reflection of me, or am I a reflection of everyone else? Why does the golden rule and various religious teachings seem to support this? Is physical perception the bottom line? If so, do certain people and animals experience a different reality? I believe that in order to truly understand anything or everything, we must first define the most basic of all perceptions. What is reality?

"I think therefore I am isn't the question here. That is a question of existence, this is a question of reality. Reality is everything that exists, the realm of existence.
Epica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 6:14:53 PM

Just because people experience perceptual relativity doesn't entail that physical perception doesn't tell us what reality is. If one experiences an illusion, that doesn't entail he is directly aware of that object of reality. The reason say a stick seems to be bent when in water isn't because we are aware of the entirety of the stick. It possess a corrupted medium (water) preventing us from being aware of the entire stick.
fromantle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 7:38:25 PM
While we are living we only have our five senses and they have evolved by natural selection. Steven Pinker in his book How the Mind Works believes our minds could well be limited and there is much that they cannot unravel.
'Given that the mind is a product of natural selection, it should not have a miraculous ability to comune with all truths.' Steven Pinker
Alfred Wallace a friend of Darwin who also discovered natural selection
did not limit the human mind but he questioned its origin. Wallace believed the human mind could not be accounted for by natural selection.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 1:47:32 PM

In characterizing realities no less than in taking positions on issues, consciousness generalizes, i.e. genericizes: in articulating or formulating, it reduces things, even our own selves, to forms, abstractions, idealizations, types, archetypes, simplisms. "Thinking" is an activity that ultimately grounds or resolves itself in the satisfying, self-certain form of orthodoxies, preconceptions, uncriticized and imperative norms; and it is overwhelmingly inept to recognize just how pathetic, parasitic or placental is its relation to its "own" fundamental norms of understanding and valuation. Rarely if ever does any act of thinking grow so laserlike or iconoclastically intensive as to escape from the dense miasma of what is acceptable. To think what actually is is even more contranatural for humans than to see what actually is: as subjectivizing as "seeing" is, "thinking" is many degrees or magnitudes more saturated with conditioned biases, delusions, self-deceptions. A program of hygiene or asepsis for the sanity, acuity and clarity of syncretic or wholesided thinking"a discipline of orthotics for sobering, grounding and polemicizing of well-formed gnoseonoesis"is needless to say unknown in modernity. Not just language but virtually all of intellect, education, culture, etc. have been adapted into utilities, tools whose very aspectivity militates against the nakedness of "evidence," which is to say, against candor and against truth: regardless of what it may be called, "evidence," even the most obvious and blatant, is in actuality not so "evident" to most people, and the modern development of "sophistication" or "education" typically worsens the obscurantism.
lostandfound
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 3:52:55 PM
I have personally struggled with this question, and I simply don't think "I think therefore I am" cuts it. Why does everything in the universe seem to "line up" such as our planet being habitable or the mass of an atom, but so much just....doesn't. Like dark matter, or even our own history. Is reality simply what we perceive or is there more to it? It seems like no matter how small we go, (cells make up body, atoms make up cells, build giant machine to smash atoms to see what makes up them) or how big we go (big bang theory, string theory, brane theory, infinite universes) it seems answers are always just out of reach. Is everyone a reflection of me, or am I a reflection of everyone else? Why does the golden rule and various religious teachings seem to support this? Is physical perception the bottom line? If so, do certain people and animals experience a different reality? I believe that in order to truly understand anything or everything, we must first define the most basic of all perceptions. What is reality? : :

Each created being has a different experience than another but since all created beings came from the same exact source which is invisible energy, the source must be the creator of all our experiences. How would it be possible for us to create that energy?

This means that our true reality is our Creator of the source we all came from. Our experiences are unique to each individual created being and the only way we can know each other's experiences is if we share our stories.

The universe that we know of today is only known because of all the people sharing their experiences to each other. The universe as a whole will never be experienced by one individual created being because it's infinite. Infinity means that we'll never run out of unique individual experiences.
lostandfound
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 3:56:12 PM
At 8/29/2015 5:51:17 PM, janesix wrote:
i STRUGGLE WITH THIS TOO. i HAVE NO ANSWERS. i'M HOPING SOME DAY i'LL FIGURE IT OUT. : :

Only the source of the universe can give you answers but you have to listen to his voice, which most people don't listen to.
Heterodox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 8:34:58 AM

I would say reality is what you perceive combined with a whole lot of assumptions.
Karan_m
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 10:38:51 AM
Reality means what is actually there or what actually it is or we can say fact .It is definitely not a relative term because its not gonna change by anyone's opinion or view.As for example,with respect for the women,breast is organ that adds beauty to the women which is an actual fact.But a conservative mind will say that no its a bad thing.So,by that person's opinion the actual fact is not gonna change.So,I don't think that reality is what we feel or think it is about what it is in actual.
neoryan1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 9:19:20 PM
To answer your question about our earth lining up, it's simply just a chance. Yes it is around a 1/1,000,000+ chance but this is not proof of anything.

To explain: Let's say that there is in fact exactly a 1 in 1,000,000 chance our earth is habitable. In 999,999 scenarios we don't exist. In one we do. It just so happens we're in the 1 that we do. If we were in the others, we wouldn't be aware of it because, well, we obviously wouldn't exist.
deetoodee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 12:00:53 AM
I have personally struggled with this question, and I simply don't think "I think therefore I am" cuts it. Why does everything in the universe seem to "line up" such as our planet being habitable or the mass of an atom, but so much just....doesn't. Like dark matter, or even our own history. Is reality simply what we perceive or is there more to it? It seems like no matter how small we go, (cells make up body, atoms make up cells, build giant machine to smash atoms to see what makes up them) or how big we go (big bang theory, string theory, brane theory, infinite universes) it seems answers are always just out of reach. Is everyone a reflection of me, or am I a reflection of everyone else? Why does the golden rule and various religious teachings seem to support this? Is physical perception the bottom line? If so, do certain people and animals experience a different reality? I believe that in order to truly understand anything or everything, we must first define the most basic of all perceptions. What is reality? : :

What appears real to you is your own unique experiences that you gather through your senses. Your reality isn't my reality because I have a whole different set of unique experiences that you will never experience in the same exact way.

If you and I share our experiences, then our realities come together. If you and I don't share our experiences, you will never know what I experienced, which is much different than your experiences.

The universe only exists because of our individual unique experiences that we share with each other through verbal story telling, books, videos, pictures, etc. If none of us shared our experiences with each other, we would not understand anything other than our own unique experiences.

When we listen to someone's experiences, we can only believe their story because we can never experience the same exact experiences. There are many experiments I could show you to convince you of this fact. But you have to be very open-minded to understand it.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 10:36:53 PM
Does reality exist independent of minds, is the question unfolded a bit.

If reality does exist devoid of human perception, if we remove human perception, how would we resolve the question, "does reality exist" if we are unable to experience it?
Nac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 12:25:38 AM

I am a pyrrhonian skeptic, so I do not know the true answers to any of your questions.

This feeling is hard to cope with, but I see no answer more honest than this.
TanzaFights
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 10:37:53 AM
To be honest, we think too much.
Think about it (see?).
We have evolved and grown and fought and lived and died, etc. Where has that brought us? With a majority of the population classified as obese, we are one of the laziest species in the world, because we fill our heads with the unnecessary elements of life. We forget about the things we need and focus on the futile. This leaves space for honest, hard-working people who know when to stop eating, but where does that leave the population? Divided because of our aims in life? We're not completely sure.
But look at cats...
I know, I know, but look ...
They have evolved to the point of perfection. Intelligent, agile, FLUFFY and also EVIL. They have managed to find the perfect life; go out and have fun all day, then come home to free,delicious food, a warm, safe place to sleep, and an owner who spoils you rotten. It sounds crazy, but there is a ring of truth to it. Cats have charmed their way into our lives. Cats are awesome.
EXPLOSIONS