Are we the same person a year ago?

lostandfound
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 3:42:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/31/2015 2:37:30 PM, Rami wrote:
Since atoms are replaced, does that mean we aren't the same person as a we were? I that becoming old ptoves that wrong. : :

An atom is not a simple object so using this term doesn't give credit to what a person consists of.

Every move and thought a person makes is different so we're forever changing. It's impossible for a person to be the same person a year later or even a moment later.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 8:42:53 PM
Since atoms are replaced, does that mean we aren't the same person as a we were? I that becoming old ptoves that wrong.

We have temporal counterparts in the past, but we are not strictly identical.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Epica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 4:22:12 PM
Since atoms are replaced, does that mean we aren't the same person as a we were? I that becoming old ptoves that wrong.

You can easily bypass this by positing a theory that you are you because of the continuation of atoms. I hardly think anyone would defend that your atoms at any given point is you and only you.
Surrealism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 4:50:48 PM

The atoms are just used to fill an abstraction. The idea of a specific person is formed based on behavioral tendencies and physical traits. We don't identify other people from the specific atoms they're made of. We identify people based on their actions and appearances. Ergo, as long as the atoms fit the criteria for your actions and appearances, they are, for all intents and purposes, you.

This is akin to wondering if equations and identities are different if we write them with roman numerals instead of arabic digits.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Heterodox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 11:35:04 PM
At 8/31/2015 3:42:13 PM, lostandfound wrote:
Since atoms are replaced, does that mean we aren't the same person as a we were? I that becoming old ptoves that wrong. : :

An atom is not a simple object so using this term doesn't give credit to what a person consists of.

Every move and thought a person makes is different so we're forever changing. It's impossible for a person to be the same person a year later or even a moment later.

Not impossible. Just impossible, for now, for us.
Gesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 6:23:47 AM
A person is mainly defined by his deeds that are actually the outcome of his thoughts, these obviously keep changing by every moment.

You can hold multiple thoughts in a single moment. Of course, definition or duration of moment can vary with each plane. Invariably, your thoughts do affect your actions and that is how you keep evolving as a person.
Gesis
Gesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 6:25:56 AM
Couldn't agree more on this statement - Not impossible. Just impossible, for now, for us.

We cannot make absolute statements in this relative space.
Everything is momentary and specific to just one plan of thinking and one plane of living.

At 9/2/2015 11:35:04 PM, Heterodox wrote:
At 8/31/2015 3:42:13 PM, lostandfound wrote:

Not impossible. Just impossible, for now, for us.
Gesis
Karan_m
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2015 10:17:55 AM
You have to be specific in this matter that in what sense have we remained same compared to a year ago.And if its overall personality and character then it differs from person to person.This is because time force the people to change and what has happened or faced by the person in this one year decides whether he/she has changed or not.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 6:25:21 PM

If you are raised by your parents until 18yrs and then you don't see them for thirty years, are they still not your parents and are you still not their same child.

This thought experiment proves that you are the same person throughout your life, although the body changes the person within remains the same.
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 1:43:59 AM

I've thought about this one a bit, and I think the answer isn't 100% one way or the other. You have to look at what gets replaced and what stays behind. Our brains are mostly water, and water molecules go in and out all the time, as do other substances (e.g. simple ions). However, neurons are the longest living cells in the body, and many of them stay for life. Some cellular structures are not subjected to this phenomenon (e.g. DNA being well protected) or, alternatively, the structures only experience it to a nominal degree (e.g. cellular membrane; mitochondria).

So, I figure that we mostly get replaced since our brains are mostly water, but there is something that remains constant. How significant that "something" is isn't clear to me, but it's comforting to know that it's there. Otherwise I might decide to start living like I've got a week before I fade away.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 3:11:36 AM

Your view that a human being is simply a collection of atoms is correct but with that said. It is simplistic and devoid.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%