Total Posts:4|Showing Posts:1-4
Jump to topic:

Do preconceptions affect us on any lvl?

skipsaweirdo
Posts: 1,863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 4:55:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have always wondered if even some of the simplest ideas are affected by our preconceptions. Consider the following in your response..

If it is true that John is in London, then John is not in the state of Texas
John is in London
Therefore John is not in the state of Texas

Now I could be talking about john as a toilet, lol, I think though this would mean I would have to say A John, regardless of how self evident this is, what about preconceptions?
And refer to the example please, what does everyone think?
witness2
Posts: 33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 7:39:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/11/2015 4:55:03 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
I have always wondered if even some of the simplest ideas are affected by our preconceptions. Consider the following in your response..

If it is true that John is in London, then John is not in the state of Texas
John is in London
Therefore John is not in the state of Texas

Now I could be talking about john as a toilet, lol, I think though this would mean I would have to say A John, regardless of how self evident this is, what about preconceptions?
And refer to the example please, what does everyone think? : :

If skipsaweirdo, are all weirdosnamedskip?
skipsaweirdo
Posts: 1,863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 8:13:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/11/2015 7:39:49 PM, witness2 wrote:
At 9/11/2015 4:55:03 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
I have always wondered if even some of the simplest ideas are affected by our preconceptions. Consider the following in your response..

If it is true that John is in London, then John is not in the state of Texas
John is in London
Therefore John is not in the state of Texas

Now I could be talking about john as a toilet, lol, I think though this would mean I would have to say A John, regardless of how self evident this is, what about preconceptions?
And refer to the example please, what does everyone think? : :

If skipsaweirdo, are all weirdosnamedskip? There are no weirdos just because I claim it.
witness2
Posts: 33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 8:18:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/11/2015 8:13:14 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 9/11/2015 7:39:49 PM, witness2 wrote:
At 9/11/2015 4:55:03 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
I have always wondered if even some of the simplest ideas are affected by our preconceptions. Consider the following in your response..

If it is true that John is in London, then John is not in the state of Texas
John is in London
Therefore John is not in the state of Texas

Now I could be talking about john as a toilet, lol, I think though this would mean I would have to say A John, regardless of how self evident this is, what about preconceptions?
And refer to the example please, what does everyone think? : :

If skipsaweirdo, are all weirdosnamedskip? There are no weirdos just because I claim it. : :

We can only believe each other's claims. There is no objective evidence that everyone on this planet can agree on.