Jump to topic:

Lewisian Modal Realism

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 10:00:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The idea of modal realism seems very intriguing. What good arguments are present for/against it? Since modal realism would entail the existence of any metaphysically possible entity, it means any metaphysically possible form of supernatural entities would exist.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 4:28:32 PM
At 9/16/2015 10:00:00 AM, tejretics wrote:
The idea of modal realism seems very intriguing. What good arguments are present for/against it? Since modal realism would entail the existence of any metaphysically possible entity, it means any metaphysically possible form of supernatural entities would exist.

The reason I think it's false is what I call the "Believe It If You Can" objection. It seems rather ludicrous to conclude the existence of countless concrete worlds from your armchair just because it supposedly makes sense of modality. Especially since modal fictionalism has all its pros without its cons (at least as far as I am aware).
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 5:06:30 PM

What's the justification for believing possible worlds actually exist? I'm not very good at understanding heavy philosophical topics but they still interest me.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 4:53:33 AM

I think the only argument remotely convincing for it is that possible worlds have to refer to something for the semantics to be sound. They conclude that the something is other actual worlds.

Recall my debate with Envisage, modal realists have used that as an actual argument for MR.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 5:30:48 AM

The PSR necessitates that the only possible world is the one that actually exists.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 5:31:24 AM
At 9/17/2015 5:30:48 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

The PSR necessitates that the only possible world is the one that actually exists.

I don't even buy the PSR, though.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 5:32:23 AM
At 9/17/2015 5:31:24 AM, tejretics wrote:

Then why do you demand any justifications at all?
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 5:33:38 AM
At 9/17/2015 5:32:23 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

I believe most things require explanations, but some brute facts exist as well.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 1:32:15 PM
At 9/17/2015 5:33:38 AM, tejretics wrote:

Why are brute facts brute facts? If you don't justify their existence in any way by requiring a cause, how can you explain their existence and their non-nonexistence?

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 3:08:20 PM
At 9/17/2015 1:32:15 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 9/17/2015 5:33:38 AM, tejretics wrote:

Why are brute facts brute facts? If you don't justify their existence in any way by requiring a cause, how can you explain their existence and their non-nonexistence?

You're begging the question -- why does there have to be an explanation for brute facts?
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2015 3:57:33 PM
That's why they are called brute facts. You can't explain them. You can only understand them.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic