Jump to topic:

Am I stupid, or am I intelligent?

Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 8:16:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is my dilemma! Grammar, punctuation and spelling are of little importance to me, as long as I am able to get my point across. I find those who harp on the topic to be small minded individuals that can't grasp a concept, so they focus on any mistakes they can find to justify their right to take part in a debate.
I have had many discussions and its rare to find anyone who grasps what I'm trying to say. Rare, but not impossible. Although there are some concepts that no other people get. Am I too stupid to grasp that these concepts are illogical or am I just unable to get them across to people? Are people too stupid to grasp these concepts? How do I find out?
Are there people who have made new discoveries and had similar issues trying to get others to comprehend?
Any input will be appreciated, except comments on my grammar, punctuation and spelling.
gods_angel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 8:29:31 PM
At 9/29/2015 8:16:57 PM, Furyan5 wrote:
This is my dilemma! Grammar, punctuation and spelling are of little importance to me, as long as I am able to get my point across. I find those who harp on the topic to be small minded individuals that can't grasp a concept, so they focus on any mistakes they can find to justify their right to take part in a debate.
I have had many discussions and its rare to find anyone who grasps what I'm trying to say. Rare, but not impossible. Although there are some concepts that no other people get. Am I too stupid to grasp that these concepts are illogical or am I just unable to get them across to people? Are people too stupid to grasp these concepts? How do I find out?
Are there people who have made new discoveries and had similar issues trying to get others to comprehend?
Any input will be appreciated, except comments on my grammar, punctuation and spelling. : :

I understand you very well my friend from the bottom of Africa.

Psalm 92
5: How great are thy works, O LORD! Thy thoughts are very deep!
6: The dull man cannot know, the stupid cannot understand this:

I Corinthians 1:
25: For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26: For consider your call, brethren; not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth;
27: but God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise, God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong,
28: God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are,
29: so that no human being might boast in the presence of God.

Psalm 94
7: and they say, "The LORD does not see; the God of Jacob does not perceive."
8: Understand, O dullest of the people! Fools, when will you be wise?
9: He who planted the ear, does he not hear? He who formed the eye, does he not see?
10: He who chastens the nations, does he not chastise? He who teaches men knowledge,
11: the LORD, knows the thoughts of man, that they are but a breath.
zok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 8:41:30 PM
At 9/29/2015 8:29:31 PM, gods_angel wrote:
Any input will be appreciated, except comments on my grammar, punctuation and spelling. : :

Psalm 92

I Corinthians 1:
25: For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26: For consider your call, brethren; not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth;
27: but God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise, God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong,
28: God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are,

Psalm 94
9: He who planted the ear, does he not hear? He who formed the eye, does he not see?
10: He who chastens the nations, does he not chastise? He who teaches men knowledge,

Why do you feel it is necessary to add this meaningless ramble on to the OP's post?
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 9:08:06 PM
Any input will be appreciated, except comments on my grammar, punctuation and spelling.

In most cases, difficult concepts are equaly difficult to transmit to people. There's also people that has everything very clear in their minds, but are horrible at transmiting ideas. I don't think any of this is related to being smart or stupid though. In my personal experience, it is better to treat people as if they were not stupid, but ignorant, when talking to them about something, as I believe that if you have their ignorance in mind, you will be able to transmit the idea more clearly.
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 9:23:49 PM
At 10/3/2015 9:08:06 PM, Otokage wrote:

In most cases, difficult concepts are equaly difficult to transmit to people. There's also people that has everything very clear in their minds, but are horrible at transmiting ideas. I don't think any of this is related to being smart or stupid though. In my personal experience, it is better to treat people as if they were not stupid, but ignorant, when talking to them about something, as I believe that if you have their ignorance in mind, you will be able to transmit the idea more clearly.

I tried that. Going through the entire process, step by step and explaining it. They just don't get it, or my ideas are illogical and I can't see it.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 9:45:22 PM
At 10/3/2015 9:23:49 PM, Furyan5 wrote:
At 10/3/2015 9:08:06 PM, Otokage wrote:

I tried that. Going through the entire process, step by step and explaining it. They just don't get it, or my ideas are illogical and I can't see it.

Maybe you think they don't get the idea, but they are getting it? For example, if your ideas are illogical, then it could be precisely because you explain them in a very well manner, that the interlocutor will understand how ilogical and super counter-intuitive the idea is, and therefore reject it. Have you thought about that?

But also I believe that the probabilities are that you are not explaining yourself properly :). Something happened to me a week ago. I had a problem at home with my electrical installation and so I called a technician. The guy saw the problem, and when I requested an explanation he gave a detailed answer, but I didn't understand a thing. Now I don't think I am stupid, but nor do I think he was stupid either. What I believe is that he mistook me by someone familiariced with electrical instalations, but I'm not familiarized with that, so probably he needed to rework his explanation and made it as if it were for the ignorant person I am. This happens to me a lot with my friends, they ask me something about ie the content of fats of some foods, and when I try to explain to them the issue they often end up saying: "dude stop, I don't understand a thing, I don't know what a protein is, h*ll I don't even really know what a cell is!!" and ironicly, this doesn't happen to me with my students, precisely because when I explain something to them, I always have in mind they are ignorant about the issue and my job is to make them understand it. In summary, I take my friends as equals, not pupils, hence my explanations for them are unconsciously worse than my explanations to my students.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 5:42:01 PM

Based on the debates that I have read that you were in, I came to the conclusion that you were stupid.
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 5:52:53 PM
At 10/4/2015 5:42:01 PM, Hayd wrote:

Based on the debates that I have read that you were in, I came to the conclusion that you were stupid.

Lol OK, thanks for clearing that up.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 5:56:17 PM
At 10/4/2015 5:52:53 PM, Furyan5 wrote:

Just kidding :)
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 6:22:28 PM
At 10/4/2015 5:56:17 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 10/4/2015 5:52:53 PM, Furyan5 wrote:

Just kidding :)

Lol you meanie! I nearly jumped off the pavement.
godsworker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 11:26:15 PM
At 10/3/2015 8:41:30 PM, zok wrote:
At 9/29/2015 8:29:31 PM, gods_angel wrote:

Psalm 92

I Corinthians 1:

Psalm 94

Why do you feel it is necessary to add this meaningless ramble on to the OP's post? : :

It's not meaningless at all but to you it is.
drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 8:13:33 PM

So this is an honest opinion and I am not trying to be mean. I read your debate about a creator and even though I believe in God, I do not think you had a very good argument. Your thoughts jumped around and did not seem to flow well. I am not saying that you are stupid, just that you do not present your position in a way that can be followed well. Too many logical leaps, too abstract, and some things that just did not seem to foster the debate.
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 10:06:31 AM
At 10/6/2015 8:13:33 PM, drpiek wrote:

So this is an honest opinion and I am not trying to be mean. I read your debate about a creator and even though I believe in God, I do not think you had a very good argument. Your thoughts jumped around and did not seem to flow well. I am not saying that you are stupid, just that you do not present your position in a way that can be followed well. Too many logical leaps, too abstract, and some things that just did not seem to foster the debate.

Thanks, if you read the comments you will find that it was done intentionally. My idea was to expand each idea individually In concurrent debates, but unfortunately my opponent pulled out. You will note that this debate is one of the most viewed debates concerning the issue and I have had numerous requests to continue. But in all honesty what I was trying to do in part one of the debate was to be illogical.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 3:21:23 AM
Posted: 12 months ago
I can't read , can't write , but I can drive a tractor alright. I'd like to take some time now to thank a great friend of mine T9 DICTIONARY . OR T9 Dicsionairy . I bet you can read good ,but not out loud , I also bet cash you wrote . Am I stupid then you paused to think Um full stop or coma ,then , or am I intelligent, then full stop . You then read back over it then deleated the full stop and put a question mark. Good game good game.
Toad-Uoff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 6:31:15 AM
Peeps = Law of oNe Control Freaks

Open System Language dictates all that's NECESSARY is to be able to convey the message, that's all.

"Faith replaces Logic when Ignorance rules the Roost, then that Ignorance based Faith supplants Common Sense with Duality Perception sourced Morals/Opinion, to then form the most perfect closed minded idiot possible, also known as a sheeple." - Old Toad Proverb (aka: Law of Fools)

Ribbit :)

Ps: The answer to your question is: "Both!" ;)
Kirigaya-Kazuto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 6:20:59 PM

Intelligent is defined as the ability to learn and apply new information. I believe you are asking if you are stupid or smart yes?

If so then, as long as you understand what your are doing, you are smart. However, and this is in no insult to you it is only going off the definition, if you cannot apply your understanding to explain it to others you are not intelligent. If, however, you find a way to explain it so others may grasp what you are explaining then you are in fact intelligent.
#Don'tlookatDATXDUDE'sprofilebecauseyoureyeswillexplode ~ Petfish
#Treebrokethechurchbells ~ Discipulus_Didicit
Don't quote me ~fire_wings
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig. ~Seventh
Yes ~Vaarka
No ~Rosalie
Ya clown ~Solon
OSU! ~Vaarka
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 9:09:59 AM
Posted: 11 months ago

Pay a state licensed psychologist to test your intelligence.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 2:22:51 PM

It depends on who you are comparing yourself to. If you are comparing yourself to Albert Einstein in the field of Physics, you are unintelligent. If you are comparing yourself to Einstein in the field of being able to tie your shoes, you are a genius.
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 9:27:08 PM
At 12/15/2015 2:22:51 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:

It depends on who you are comparing yourself to. If you are comparing yourself to Albert Einstein in the field of Physics, you are unintelligent. If you are comparing yourself to Einstein in the field of being able to tie your shoes, you are a genius.

First intelligent answer I receive. Thank you.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 10:06:25 PM
At 12/15/2015 9:27:08 PM, Furyan5 wrote:

I think you are intelligent. Your name is furyan. Is that as in the furyans off of Chronicles of Riddick? Just curious.
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 10:14:01 PM
At 12/15/2015 10:06:25 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:

I think you are intelligent. Your name is furyan. Is that as in the furyans off of Chronicles of Riddick? Just curious.

Yes. Riddicks home world is called Furyan. The 5 is from the number of times I got banned.
GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 12:50:07 AM
At 12/15/2015 10:14:01 PM, Furyan5 wrote:
At 12/15/2015 10:06:25 PM, GrittyWorm wrote:

Yes. Riddicks home world is called Furyan. The 5 is from the number of times I got banned.

I see. Lol
SuperHuman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 2:13:34 PM
I personally of the view that anyone can judge a person by how he write as each person has own considerations and understanding. Maybe anyone who write with grammatical errors is a genius in mechanics ir a doctor.. BUT the ther side of it is other people trust. Will you go to the doctor to be treated if he make rough grammatical errors? And do you trust my message when I`m writing with mistakes? Here is the real example..
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 11:53:49 AM
At 12/18/2015 2:13:34 PM, SuperHuman wrote:
I personally of the view that anyone can judge a person by how he write as each person has own considerations and understanding. Maybe anyone who write with grammatical errors is a genius in mechanics ir a doctor.. BUT the ther side of it is other people trust. Will you go to the doctor to be treated if he make rough grammatical errors? And do you trust my message when I`m writing with mistakes? Here is the real example..

Personally I read the content. Only people who don't grasp the concepts of a statement focus on the grammar. They need to do something to make up for their lower I.Q.

But that's just my opinion.
SuperHuman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 1:57:22 PM
At 12/19/2015 11:53:49 AM, Furyan5 wrote:

Personally I read the content. Only people who don't grasp the concepts of a statement focus on the grammar. They need to do something to make up for their lower I.Q.

Agree, but there are cases when those who write makes a lot of grammatical errors and the sense of his message is absent. So I think that when you have enough arguments and your rightness is clear, you can troll your opponent with his illiteracy
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 6:01:20 PM
At 12/21/2015 1:57:22 PM, SuperHuman wrote:
At 12/19/2015 11:53:49 AM, Furyan5 wrote:

Agree, but there are cases when those who write makes a lot of grammatical errors and the sense of his message is absent. So I think that when you have enough arguments and your rightness is clear, you can troll your opponent with his illiteracy

Yes you can. But don't you consider such behaviour juvenile? If your arguments make more sense, you win. By trolling you actually show that you don't trust the merit of your argument to be sufficient.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 7:46:09 PM
Just work on your communication skills. If people don't understand you, that's where you're lacking
Furyan5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 8:37:45 AM
At 12/21/2015 7:46:09 PM, Wylted wrote:
Just work on your communication skills. If people don't understand you, that's where you're lacking

Lol looks like it. We're discussing grammatical errors and you talking about comprehension issues. I obviously need to dumb down my statements.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 2:56:05 PM
At 12/22/2015 8:37:45 AM, Furyan5 wrote:
At 12/21/2015 7:46:09 PM, Wylted wrote:

Lol looks like it. We're discussing grammatical errors and you talking about comprehension issues. I obviously need to dumb down my statements.

Usually people make their statements confusing to disguise the stupidity of them. Einstein said if you can't explain a concept to your 85 year old grandma, you really don't understand that concept.