If you never felt guilt

RedWhiteBlueBlooded
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 1:12:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The lawyer is standing at the gate to Heaven and St. Peter is listing his sins:

1) Defending a large corporation in a pollution suit where he knew they were guilty.

2) Defending an obviously guilty murderer because the fee was high.

3) Overcharging fees to many clients.

4) Prosecuting an innocent woman because a scapegoat was needed in a controversial case.

And the list goes on for quite awhile.

The lawyer objects and begins to argue his case. He admits all these things, but argues, "Wait, I"ve done some charity in my life also."

St. Peter looks in his book and says,"Yes, I see. Once you gave a dime to a panhandler and once you gave an extra nickel to the shoeshine boy, correct?"

The lawyer gets a smug look on his face and replies, "Yes."

St. Peter turns to the angel next to him and says, "Give this guy 15 cents and tell him to go to hell."
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 1:17:24 PM
At 10/6/2015 12:57:34 PM, difference wrote:
Never have, never will, are you pure good or pure evil?

Inconclusive, but given the absolute choices, I would lean towards neither. If your actions will never do anything to warrant guilt, then that is a different story than if your actions do warrant guilt but you are merely incapable of it. Or you are a master at justification.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 4:53:32 AM

Such a person would be Guilty.
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 7:54:46 AM
It rather depends what you have done. If you don't feel guilt becuase you haven't done anything wrong (theoretically possible!) that is different kettle of fish from not feeling guilty after wiping out all the men, women and children in a village.

Alternatively, Imagine a baby dying one hour after birth - which of the two offered alternative apply there? It's not a well posed question as it stands.
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 11:40:37 AM
At 10/8/2015 7:54:46 AM, kp98 wrote:
It rather depends what you have done. If you don't feel guilt becuase you haven't done anything wrong (theoretically possible!) that is different kettle of fish from not feeling guilty after wiping out all the men, women and children in a village.

Alternatively, Imagine a baby dying one hour after birth - which of the two offered alternative apply there? It's not a well posed question as it stands.

I figured the same thing as Chaosism - neither.
The question may not be very open ended, but given the answers so far, it seems that good and bad can't be determined by guilt alone. Could you know that you've done anything wrong if you didn't feel guilt?
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 11:43:04 AM
At 10/6/2015 1:17:24 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Inconclusive, but given the absolute choices, I would lean towards neither. If your actions will never do anything to warrant guilt, then that is a different story than if your actions do warrant guilt but you are merely incapable of it. Or you are a master at justification.

I think the only way to know which actions warrant guilt would be to feel which actions warrant guilt. If you couldn't feel guilt, you'd only have other people's say, however meaningful that may be.
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 11:44:18 AM
At 10/8/2015 11:43:04 AM, difference wrote:
At 10/6/2015 1:17:24 PM, Chaosism wrote:

I think the only way to know which actions warrant guilt would be to feel which actions cause guilt. If you couldn't feel guilt, you'd only have other people's say, however meaningful that may be.
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:01:00 PM
The inability to feel guilt is one of the features of psychopathy, isn't it? It is (I would suggest) impossible for anyone to be a psychopath from choice (one may behave badly on purpose, but I don't think you can control how you feel about what you have done so easily). If someone is a genuine psychopath it must be case that their brain is somhow 'abnormal'.

That suggests that a genuine psychopath has no choice about not feeling guilty- he is a victim of whatever caused his brain to be defective. Does that mean a psychopath is evil? Or is it only what he does that is evil?

Socrates argued that no man does evil on purpose. Even genociders and the like don't think what they do is at all evil - they consider their crimes to be 'necessary measures' towards a more desirable state of affairs. Inquistors and mass-murderers honestly think they are doing good things - it is their jugement of what is good and bad that is odd, not their desire for evil per se.