Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

What's the Point of Philosophy?

unitedandy
Posts: 1,173
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 9:09:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Broadly speaking, I guess to examine subjects (and reality itself) at the most fundamental level; to highlight problems in important issues all other subjects take for granted and to frame concepts or debates in a more precise way.

More specifically, analytic philosophy is probably best described as bring a reason-based approach to issues which cannot be solved by purely looking at the data. Or something.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 10:51:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
"Philosophy is like trying to open a safe with a combination lock: each little adjustment of the dials seems to achieve nothing, only when everything is in place does the door open."

-Ludwig Wittgenstein
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Skynet
Posts: 674
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 11:59:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/7/2015 8:46:02 PM, SolonKR wrote:
What's the Point of Philosophy?

Discuss.

"Yes, yes...whhhyyy??"
Philosopher strokes chin and squints at ceiling.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
SolonKR
Posts: 4,041
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 1:45:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The general consensus seems to be finding personal answers of some kind. I suppose I'll follow up my question, then:

To what end?
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 2:00:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/8/2015 1:45:22 AM, SolonKR wrote:
The general consensus seems to be finding personal answers of some kind. I suppose I'll follow up my question, then:

To what end?

There is no end.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
SolonKR
Posts: 4,041
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 2:05:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/8/2015 2:00:53 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 10/8/2015 1:45:22 AM, SolonKR wrote:
To what end?

There is no end.

*mind explodes*
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
SolonKR
Posts: 4,041
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 2:43:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/8/2015 2:00:53 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
There is no end.

But, in seriousness, what does that even mean?
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 2:47:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/8/2015 2:43:11 AM, SolonKR wrote:
At 10/8/2015 2:00:53 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
There is no end.

But, in seriousness, what does that even mean?

What end is there to the pursuit of knowledge? There's really no point that we can know everything - so philosophy is inherently infinite.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
SolonKR
Posts: 4,041
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 2:56:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/8/2015 2:47:49 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
What end is there to the pursuit of knowledge? There's really no point that we can know everything - so philosophy is inherently infinite.

In what way is philosophy the pursuit of knowledge? Is it empirical?
To clarify, a lot of the reason why I find philosophy very hard to understand is that I don't see the point in trying to obtain abstract concepts of meaning, when I find it beyond the scope of human comprehension (i.e., I equate the "infinite" nature of philosophy with being rather pointless, as there is no concrete end to achieve). I'm not saying that to argue anything, but, rather, to elaborate on the fact that I genuinely do not understand the goals of philosophy or why it matters.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 3:02:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/8/2015 2:56:25 AM, SolonKR wrote:
At 10/8/2015 2:47:49 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
What end is there to the pursuit of knowledge? There's really no point that we can know everything - so philosophy is inherently infinite.

In what way is philosophy the pursuit of knowledge? Is it empirical?
To clarify, a lot of the reason why I find philosophy very hard to understand is that I don't see the point in trying to obtain abstract concepts of meaning, when I find it beyond the scope of human comprehension (i.e., I equate the "infinite" nature of philosophy with being rather pointless, as there is no concrete end to achieve). I'm not saying that to argue anything, but, rather, to elaborate on the fact that I genuinely do not understand the goals of philosophy or why it matters.

Philosophy is love of knowledge, so the pursuit of knowledge goes with philosophy.

There are more abstract ventures to take in philosophy, yes. I don't think it should be delved into that much, though - at least until the more directly affecting things in life are solved. See: my thread on the Parable of the Poisoned Arrow.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
kp98
Posts: 729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:07:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
the point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one will believe it.

Not me - Bertrand Russel.
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 3:10:35 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Intellectual vanity.

Hopefully, if you can get past that, enlightenment.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
SM2
Posts: 546
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 7:48:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
1. Philosophy as a subject is useless, being little more than intellectual wank.

2. As a common noun, a philosophy is just a framework to fit stuff into.

Number 1 should be avoided like the plague. Number 2 should be chosen carefully.