Jump to topic:

Favorite Marcus Aurelius Quotes

TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 9:41:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The title of the post is self explanatory. Tell me some of your favorite Marcus Aurelius quotes (preferably relating to Stoicism), and tell me why they are your favorites.

Discuss.

My personal Favorite: Vex not thy spirit at the course of things, They heed not thy vexation.

This means a lot to me because it signifies the complete irrelevance of concerning yourself with the flow of things, and we need to learn to go hand in hand with the course of Nature.
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers

Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 4:50:46 AM
At 10/7/2015 9:41:34 PM, TheProphett wrote:
The title of the post is self explanatory. Tell me some of your favorite Marcus Aurelius quotes (preferably relating to Stoicism), and tell me why they are your favorites.

Discuss.

My personal Favorite: Vex not thy spirit at the course of things, They heed not thy vexation.

This means a lot to me because it signifies the complete irrelevance of concerning yourself with the flow of things, and we need to learn to go hand in hand with the course of Nature.

Nice. when i read that quote I think he is saying Do not concern yourself with the way things are going, because the way things are going will not change due to your worrying. I see it almost as a call to action, like the strength to change what I can, serenity to accept what I can not. Which is like your go with the flow take.

"Let not your mind run on what you lack as much as on what you have already."

here we see his use of opposites to make a point, Marcus wants to talk about the middle ground. Stoic in that he urges not to spend time contemplating what you don't have.. and don't spend time contemplating what you have (like wealth and cars and boats).

Instead I think he is suggesting to spend your time thinking about what you can achieve.
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 9:46:28 AM
They don't particularly relate to stoicism, but a couple that come to mind for me...

"Because you have chosen not to respect yourself, you have made your happiness subject to the opinions others have of you."

This one's pretty straightforward. It's the difference between internal and external validation. While it's nice to get approval and acceptance from others, and I think we all need that to a certain extent, it's important to respect yourself first.

"Remember that you don't lose any freedom by changing your mind and accepting the correction of someone who points out your error. After all, it's your initiative, your judgment, indeed your intelligence that makes change and acceptance possible."

This is one that I like to think back on once in awhile because it changed the way I looked at debates and discussions. So often people tie their egos to their beliefs and feel threatened by a different opinion, and when someone disagrees with them or exposes their ignorance of a subject they take it personally.
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 11:15:13 AM
At 10/8/2015 4:50:46 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 10/7/2015 9:41:34 PM, TheProphett wrote:

Discuss.

Nice. when i read that quote I think he is saying Do not concern yourself with the way things are going, because the way things are going will not change due to your worrying. I see it almost as a call to action, like the strength to change what I can, serenity to accept what I can not. Which is like your go with the flow take.

"Let not your mind run on what you lack as much as on what you have already."

here we see his use of opposites to make a point, Marcus wants to talk about the middle ground. Stoic in that he urges not to spend time contemplating what you don't have.. and don't spend time contemplating what you have (like wealth and cars and boats).

Instead I think he is suggesting to spend your time thinking about what you can achieve.

I think this is a good one. Marcus always said that he (and other Stoics) should aspire for greatness. The fundamentals that he practiced resemble so much of modern Christianity. Early Christians adopted some stoic thinking for their religion.

Epic Quotes:

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 11:16:14 AM
At 10/8/2015 9:46:28 AM, Cryo wrote:
They don't particularly relate to stoicism, but a couple that come to mind for me...

"Because you have chosen not to respect yourself, you have made your happiness subject to the opinions others have of you."

This one's pretty straightforward. It's the difference between internal and external validation. While it's nice to get approval and acceptance from others, and I think we all need that to a certain extent, it's important to respect yourself first.

"Remember that you don't lose any freedom by changing your mind and accepting the correction of someone who points out your error. After all, it's your initiative, your judgment, indeed your intelligence that makes change and acceptance possible."

This is one that I like to think back on once in awhile because it changed the way I looked at debates and discussions. So often people tie their egos to their beliefs and feel threatened by a different opinion, and when someone disagrees with them or exposes their ignorance of a subject they take it personally.

Haha! That last one kind of represents the mindset of modern GOP party members. I think they could learn a thing or two from Stoicism.

Epic Quotes: