Jump to topic:

Existential Crisis

Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2015 9:10:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I feel so purposeless. I think about all the work I put into that little paper potential employers will look at, and I think about how meaningless it all is. No matter what I do and no matter what extent of effort I go to, I will ultimately be a pile of bones underground. I most likely won't even have the luxury of a rock with my name on it either.
What am I doing?
What am I doing?
Why?
To what end?
Senpai has noticed you.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2015 10:10:23 AM
At 11/2/2015 9:10:42 AM, Beginner wrote:
I feel so purposeless. I think about all the work I put into that little paper potential employers will look at, and I think about how meaningless it all is. No matter what I do and no matter what extent of effort I go to, I will ultimately be a pile of bones underground. I most likely won't even have the luxury of a rock with my name on it either.
What am I doing?
What am I doing?
Why?
To what end?

Yes but before that the world needs to get out of you a few things.

Religion needs its believers....

Politics needs its ruled.........

And the economic system needs those who do the work and filter the wealth up to the owners.........(ie not you)

And to keep it going don't forget to breed............

Then after 50 -90 years of all that..............then you have my permission to die.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
SM2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2015 11:04:12 AM
What am I doing?
What am I doing?
Why?
To what end?

If you're waiting for some divine being to tell you your purpose, then you will be waiting a very long time. The point of your life is whatever point you choose to make with it.

"Sow a thought, and you reap an act;
Sow an act, and you reap a habit;
Sow a habit, and you reap a character;
Sow a character, and you reap a destiny."
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2015 11:25:14 AM
What am I doing?
What am I doing?
Why?
To what end?

Careful this can be habit forming or lead to self medicating. Gratitude, attitude and put another goal ahead of you.
What might you say to someone, you care for, in the same position or what might Lincoln say to you if he were with you.
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2015 2:33:48 PM
At 11/2/2015 11:04:12 AM, SM2 wrote:
What am I doing?
What am I doing?
Why?
To what end?

If you're waiting for some divine being to tell you your purpose, then you will be waiting a very long time. The point of your life is whatever point you choose to make with it.

What is that from?
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2015 6:02:20 PM
At 11/2/2015 10:10:23 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
What am I doing?
What am I doing?
Why?
To what end?

Yes but before that the world needs to get out of you a few things.

Religion needs its believers....
Religion wants believers.

Politics needs its ruled.........
THe world doesn't need governing. Human life/happiness doesn't ultimately have objective significance. The value of human life is subjective and pointless.

And the economic system needs those who do the work and filter the wealth up to the owners.........(ie not you)
Economics exist to help humans and maybe the global ecosystem, but none of the two matter above a subjective desire for them to matter.

And to keep it going don't forget to breed............
Yes. Because our animal instincts and desire to live and propagate will really make me a happier person when I'm decomposing underground.

Then after 50 -90 years of all that..............then you have my permission to die.

It doesn't matter how long I live. When the Sun blows up, the result is the same.
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2015 6:04:34 PM

I've seen this before.
I just can't find an objective reason to do anything. I cater to my subjective desires and wants (helping humanity, breeding, socializing, etc.), and it just feels so... empty.
I read that genuine interest propagates success and happiness, but I can't find that genuine interest in anything.
All my interests feel non-genuine.
Senpai has noticed you.
fire_man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2015 10:09:15 PM
At 11/2/2015 6:04:34 PM, Beginner wrote:

I've seen this before.
I just can't find an objective reason to do anything. I cater to my subjective desires and wants (helping humanity, breeding, socializing, etc.), and it just feels so... empty.
I read that genuine interest propagates success and happiness, but I can't find that genuine interest in anything.
All my interests feel non-genuine. : :

Many people are experiencing the same kind of thoughts you are. God chose these people to be that way, just like he chose some people to have thousands of different desires who can never be satisfied.

The answer to life isn't in the life you experience. The answer can be given to you if you listen to the voice of the one who created your life. Then you may get a strong desire to live forever.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2015 10:12:19 PM

I've seen this before.

Then be dead to this world.

Just don't forget the rest of us still in this mud pit.
SM2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2015 10:53:40 PM
At 11/2/2015 2:33:48 PM, ben2974 wrote:

What is that from?

It originates from the late 19th century, and has been wrongly attributed to many different authors. It seems to have just been a common saying at the time.

I've seen this before.

I'm going through a similar thing right now. I've burned all my bridges, shattered all my dreams, and flushed my soul down the toilet. I feel like a fraud and a failure. I've also screwed up my university education, and probably won't become a scientist after all. My current goal is just to be free of the shackles of academia. That's 6 months down the track.

6 months. Try that. Think where you want to be in 6 months. One thing you want then that you don't have now. Work towards that one thing, no matter how small or trivial it is. When you achieve that thing, find another thing. Rinse and repeat.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2015 11:25:46 PM
At 11/2/2015 10:53:40 PM, SM2 wrote:
I'm going through a similar thing right now. I've burned all my bridges, shattered all my dreams, and flushed my soul down the toilet. I feel like a fraud and a failure. I've also screwed up my university education, and probably won't become a scientist after all. My current goal is just to be free of the shackles of academia. That's 6 months down the track.

6 months. Try that. Think where you want to be in 6 months. One thing you want then that you don't have now. Work towards that one thing, no matter how small or trivial it is. When you achieve that thing, find another thing. Rinse and repeat.

I know what you're talking about. I have a little under two years left before I earn my degree. I have no idea what I plan to do with it. Get a job? Sure. Sit at a desk. Do empty projects that may or may not help humanity. Earn money. Subsist. Survive. The future just looks so bleak.
Now I'm not pursuing traditional science like you are, but my major - comp-sci - is pretty close.
I'm glad to hear your story, but I don't know if I can do the same since all goals just feel really subjective and whimsical.
Thanks for sharing, SM2. I wish you best of luck in whatever you endeavor to do.
Senpai has noticed you.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2015 12:44:13 AM
What am I doing?
What am I doing?
Why?
To what end?

Have you read any actual existentialist literature? If not, read Nausea asap.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2015 12:57:21 PM
What am I doing?
What am I doing?
Why?
To what end?

"When people are bored, it is primarily with their own selves that they are bored." -- Eric Hoffer
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2015 2:50:01 PM
What am I doing?
What am I doing?
Why?
To what end?

Does this bother you?
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2015 6:05:17 PM
At 11/3/2015 12:44:13 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

Have you read any actual existentialist literature? If not, read Nausea asap.

Le Nausee is existential canon yo.
But no I haven't read it. I'll check it out. :P
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2015 6:09:25 PM
At 11/3/2015 2:50:01 PM, difference wrote:
What am I doing?
What am I doing?
Why?
To what end?

Does this bother you?

Should it not?
Senpai has noticed you.
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2015 6:32:47 PM
At 11/3/2015 6:09:25 PM, Beginner wrote:
At 11/3/2015 2:50:01 PM, difference wrote:
What am I doing?
What am I doing?
Why?
To what end?

Does this bother you?

Should it not?

It doesn't matter if it should or shouldn't. I don't know personally, but a friend of family member might say you shouldn't feel purposeless in the first place.