Jump to topic:

Transcendence of God and Militant Agnosticism

Chrysaor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 2:36:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
A fundamental problem in philosophy is the question of God's existence. I am -- and have been for a long time -- a militant agnostic (as might have been conveyed by my opinion arguments on this site). The transcendence of God can escape nearly every argument on God's existence easily. God's transcendence entails that God escapes the bounds of human cognition. Sans the universe, there is no "time," or any such concept, and sans these concepts, human cognition can be transcended by God. So formulating any reason to think theological belief or secular belief is true fails simply because such arguments are bound by human cognition, logic, and reason. Thus, I hold to a position of agnosticism.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 3:28:25 PM
At 11/9/2015 2:36:09 PM, Chrysaor wrote:
A fundamental problem in philosophy is the question of God's existence. I am -- and have been for a long time -- a militant agnostic (as might have been conveyed by my opinion arguments on this site). The transcendence of God can escape nearly every argument on God's existence easily. God's transcendence entails that God escapes the bounds of human cognition.

How do you know this? God escapes human cognition, remember? That includes your notions about what transcendence entails (i.e. the unknowability of God's attributes, etc).

Sans the universe, there is no "time," or any such concept, and sans these concepts, human cognition can be transcended by God. So formulating any reason to think theological belief or secular belief is true fails simply because such arguments are bound by human cognition, logic, and reason.

Do you think your theological belief about God's transcendence is true?

Thus, I hold to a position of agnosticism.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Chrysaor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 4:25:37 PM
At 11/9/2015 3:28:25 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 11/9/2015 2:36:09 PM, Chrysaor wrote:
A fundamental problem in philosophy is the question of God's existence. I am -- and have been for a long time -- a militant agnostic (as might have been conveyed by my opinion arguments on this site). The transcendence of God can escape nearly every argument on God's existence easily. God's transcendence entails that God escapes the bounds of human cognition.

How do you know this? God escapes human cognition, remember? That includes your notions about what transcendence entails (i.e. the unknowability of God's attributes, etc).

Fair enough. I agree.

Sans the universe, there is no "time," or any such concept, and sans these concepts, human cognition can be transcended by God. So formulating any reason to think theological belief or secular belief is true fails simply because such arguments are bound by human cognition, logic, and reason.

Do you think your theological belief about God's transcendence is true?

When I said "theological belief," I meant belief that God exists. My apologies for the poor phrasing.

Thus, I hold to a position of agnosticism.