Total Posts:43|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The ethics series: Case one.

LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 10:20:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
A low income ten year old girl is raped. She has no money, but she wants to prevent conception. Does she have the right to the Plan B pill even if she cannot afford it? I will not post my answer in this description, because I want the results to be neutral.
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 10:45:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
*looks at the thread name *looks at OP's name
"I bet it's going to be about the right to life of the unborn"

You never disappoint lol.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 11:25:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Yes. I mean, the government already spends money protecting our rights through police and prisons. Someone is being forced to have a baby they don't want, and you can spend to prevent that. How is this different than spending money on police whose job it is to prevent people from being violated?
Dookieman
Posts: 130
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 11:29:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/12/2015 10:20:21 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
A low income ten year old girl is raped. She has no money, but she wants to prevent conception. Does she have the right to the Plan B pill even if she cannot afford it? I will not post my answer in this description, because I want the results to be neutral.

Emergency contraception is permissible even on a pro-life perspective. Contraception *prevents* a human organism from coming into existence; it does not destroy one that already exist.
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 11:49:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/12/2015 10:45:33 PM, Fkkize wrote:
*looks at the thread name *looks at OP's name
"I bet it's going to be about the right to life of the unborn"

You never disappoint lol.

Reported for trolling.
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 11:53:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/12/2015 11:25:48 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
Yes. I mean, the government already spends money protecting our rights through police and prisons. Someone is being forced to have a baby they don't want, and you can spend to prevent that. How is this different than spending money on police whose job it is to prevent people from being violated?

Exactly. I am prolife, but I support contraceptive rights.
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 11:54:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/12/2015 11:29:34 PM, Dookieman wrote:
At 11/12/2015 10:20:21 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
A low income ten year old girl is raped. She has no money, but she wants to prevent conception. Does she have the right to the Plan B pill even if she cannot afford it? I will not post my answer in this description, because I want the results to be neutral.

Emergency contraception is permissible even on a pro-life perspective. Contraception *prevents* a human organism from coming into existence; it does not destroy one that already exist.

I agree. I am prolife and I used Plan B.
kasmic
Posts: 1,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 11:56:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/12/2015 10:20:21 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
A low income ten year old girl is raped. She has no money, but she wants to prevent conception. Does she have the right to the Plan B pill even if she cannot afford it? I will not post my answer in this description, because I want the results to be neutral.

Off the top of my head.

No, she does not have a right to the Plan B pill, though she would be morally justified in using one. It would perhaps be in societies interest to accommodate.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
BlackFlags
Posts: 904
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 11:58:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/12/2015 10:20:21 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
A low income ten year old girl is raped. She has no money, but she wants to prevent conception. Does she have the right to the Plan B pill even if she cannot afford it? I will not post my answer in this description, because I want the results to be neutral.

No.
BlackFlags
Posts: 904
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2015 12:01:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Can you explain what good contraception is after the egg has already been hit by sperm and you have became pregnant? Unless you want to use the strong stuff before you are pregnant and completely kill the fertility of your eggs.
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2015 12:05:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/12/2015 11:56:52 PM, kasmic wrote:
At 11/12/2015 10:20:21 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
A low income ten year old girl is raped. She has no money, but she wants to prevent conception. Does she have the right to the Plan B pill even if she cannot afford it? I will not post my answer in this description, because I want the results to be neutral.

Off the top of my head.

No, she does not have a right to the Plan B pill, though she would be morally justified in using one. It would perhaps be in societies interest to accommodate.

You you are saying that a ten year old rape victim should be forced to give birth or have an abortion?
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2015 12:08:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/12/2015 11:58:42 PM, BlackFlags wrote:
At 11/12/2015 10:20:21 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
A low income ten year old girl is raped. She has no money, but she wants to prevent conception. Does she have the right to the Plan B pill even if she cannot afford it? I will not post my answer in this description, because I want the results to be neutral.

No.

So you are saying that a ten year old rape victim should be forced to give birth or have an abortion?
BlackFlags
Posts: 904
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2015 12:08:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/13/2015 12:05:30 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
You you are saying that a ten year old rape victim should be forced to give birth or have an abortion?

She isn't being forced to do anything. You do have options in this world. This is a really bad example too. Is she incompetent given the fact that she cannot get contraceptives.
kasmic
Posts: 1,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2015 12:13:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/13/2015 12:08:14 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 11/12/2015 11:58:42 PM, BlackFlags wrote:
At 11/12/2015 10:20:21 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
A low income ten year old girl is raped. She has no money, but she wants to prevent conception. Does she have the right to the Plan B pill even if she cannot afford it? I will not post my answer in this description, because I want the results to be neutral.

No.

So you are saying that a ten year old rape victim should be forced to give birth or have an abortion?

Nice straw man.... you cant have a right to something that is not available. You cant give someone something you dont have.

I do think the government may be morally obligated to help, but that =/= the right to..
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2015 12:21:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/13/2015 12:13:15 AM, kasmic wrote:
At 11/13/2015 12:08:14 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 11/12/2015 11:58:42 PM, BlackFlags wrote:
At 11/12/2015 10:20:21 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
A low income ten year old girl is raped. She has no money, but she wants to prevent conception. Does she have the right to the Plan B pill even if she cannot afford it? I will not post my answer in this description, because I want the results to be neutral.

No.

So you are saying that a ten year old rape victim should be forced to give birth or have an abortion?

Nice straw man.... you cant have a right to something that is not available. You cant give someone something you dont have.

I do think the government may be morally obligated to help, but that =/= the right to..

It is not a strawman. You answered no when I asked if she should have the Plan B pill anyway.
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2015 12:22:35 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/13/2015 12:13:15 AM, kasmic wrote:
At 11/13/2015 12:08:14 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 11/12/2015 11:58:42 PM, BlackFlags wrote:
At 11/12/2015 10:20:21 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
A low income ten year old girl is raped. She has no money, but she wants to prevent conception. Does she have the right to the Plan B pill even if she cannot afford it? I will not post my answer in this description, because I want the results to be neutral.

No.

So you are saying that a ten year old rape victim should be forced to give birth or have an abortion?

Nice straw man.... you cant have a right to something that is not available. You cant give someone something you dont have.

I do think the government may be morally obligated to help, but that =/= the right to..
Contraception is a right.
kasmic
Posts: 1,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2015 12:23:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/13/2015 12:21:08 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 11/13/2015 12:13:15 AM, kasmic wrote:
At 11/13/2015 12:08:14 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
At 11/12/2015 11:58:42 PM, BlackFlags wrote:
At 11/12/2015 10:20:21 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
A low income ten year old girl is raped. She has no money, but she wants to prevent conception. Does she have the right to the Plan B pill even if she cannot afford it? I will not post my answer in this description, because I want the results to be neutral.

No.

So you are saying that a ten year old rape victim should be forced to give birth or have an abortion?

Nice straw man.... you cant have a right to something that is not available. You cant give someone something you dont have.

I do think the government may be morally obligated to help, but that =/= the right to..

It is not a strawman. You answered no when I asked if she should have the Plan B pill anyway.

lol, ok bud.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2015 1:20:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/13/2015 1:11:43 AM, BlackFlags wrote:
At 11/13/2015 12:22:35 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Contraception is a right.

Ha, whatever you say!

You need to stop trolling and debate the facts.
BlackFlags
Posts: 904
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2015 1:21:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/13/2015 1:20:12 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
You need to stop trolling and debate the facts.

The facts are that contraception is NOT a right
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2015 3:54:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Good question.

I think she should have the right. If we go by the assumption that everyone is entitled to life, liberty, and a pursuit of happiness, then we could argue that the lingering consequence of rape is a detriment to her liberties and pursuit of happiness (if not her life as well, since giving birth around 10 or 11 could easily be life-threatening).
Midnight1131
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 8:39:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/12/2015 10:20:21 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
A low income ten year old girl is raped. She has no money, but she wants to prevent conception. Does she have the right to the Plan B pill even if she cannot afford it? I will not post my answer in this description, because I want the results to be neutral.

Does she not have access to non profit organizations that would help her?
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 8:58:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/14/2015 8:39:47 PM, Midnight1131 wrote:
At 11/12/2015 10:20:21 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
A low income ten year old girl is raped. She has no money, but she wants to prevent conception. Does she have the right to the Plan B pill even if she cannot afford it? I will not post my answer in this description, because I want the results to be neutral.

Does she not have access to non profit organizations that would help her?

Yes or no: Does she have the right to avoid being pregnant by her rapist?
Midnight1131
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 9:00:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/14/2015 8:58:26 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Does she not have access to non profit organizations that would help her?

Yes or no: Does she have the right to avoid being pregnant by her rapist?

Yes... but does she or does she not have access to non profit organizations that would help her?
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 9:01:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/13/2015 3:54:38 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Good question.

I think she should have the right. If we go by the assumption that everyone is entitled to life, liberty, and a pursuit of happiness, then we could argue that the lingering consequence of rape is a detriment to her liberties and pursuit of happiness (if not her life as well, since giving birth around 10 or 11 could easily be life-threatening).

Well said, I agree. .
Cobalt
Posts: 991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 9:03:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm not sure the girl has a right to receive Plan B from the government, however she certainly has the the right to go to a privately operated free clinic where they will be happy to assist her, free of charge.

More importantly, how can you be pro-life and yet for Plan B? You do realize plan B destroys the egg after fertilization?
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 9:06:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/13/2015 1:21:00 AM, BlackFlags wrote:
At 11/13/2015 1:20:12 AM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
You need to stop trolling and debate the facts.

The facts are that contraception is NOT a right

Yes contraception is a right, and would you really force a 10 year old rape victim to give birth?
LiberalProlifer
Posts: 803
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 9:08:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/14/2015 9:00:37 PM, Midnight1131 wrote:
At 11/14/2015 8:58:26 PM, LiberalProlifer wrote:
Does she not have access to non profit organizations that would help her?

Yes or no: Does she have the right to avoid being pregnant by her rapist?

Yes... but does she or does she not have access to non profit organizations that would help her?

There are no charities that help with this issue.
Cobalt
Posts: 991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2015 10:27:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Contraception prevents pregnancy. Plan B terminates a pregnancy. A woman is pregnant the moment the egg becomes fertilized. There is a clear difference between the two.

And Planned Parenthood is an organization that would perform this service at no cost for a 10 year old rape victim.