Jump to topic:

Why you believe (or not) in a creator

carterlp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 5:58:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I would like to see where and why people stand on their belief or disbelief in an intelligent creator(s).

I would appreciate no Ad Hominem Fallacies, or Bigoted Comments. I want this to be purely a discussion not a battleground for people to be personally targeted for their standpoint.

I'm a Christian. I know others may see the world differently. I believe in God as an intelligent creator due to many factors.

I was raised in a Christian household, and yes it may seem I just believe because my parents stuffed it down my throat, however they didn't. For Christians my parents are kind of laid back and understanding, but strict when needed. I was raised with the belief that God created the world and everything in it. At the age of 15 I basically took on a more deistic way of thinking and walked away from my parents religion. My life spiraled into a downward trend and I contemplated killing myself. One night, while on a youth group trip, I was feeling extremely depressed, I prayed to my God and I didn't hear a verbal reply but I did feel the urge to open the bible I had brought along to a random page. It happened to fall onto a page in the book of Romans.

Romans 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.

I found this verse among the chapter it had landed on, I read it over and over again and it ended giving my hope that If I keep going no matter how hard it will be my God would be there for me.

If you would like to know my other reasons feel free to ask.
Emgaol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 9:04:36 AM
At 11/27/2015 5:58:48 AM, carterlp wrote:
I would like to see where and why people stand on their belief or disbelief in an intelligent creator(s).

I would appreciate no Ad Hominem Fallacies, or Bigoted Comments. I want this to be purely a discussion not a battleground for people to be personally targeted for their standpoint.

I'm a Christian. I know others may see the world differently. I believe in God as an intelligent creator due to many factors.

I was raised in a Christian household, and yes it may seem I just believe because my parents stuffed it down my throat, however they didn't. For Christians my parents are kind of laid back and understanding, but strict when needed. I was raised with the belief that God created the world and everything in it. At the age of 15 I basically took on a more deistic way of thinking and walked away from my parents religion. My life spiraled into a downward trend and I contemplated killing myself. One night, while on a youth group trip, I was feeling extremely depressed, I prayed to my God and I didn't hear a verbal reply but I did feel the urge to open the bible I had brought along to a random page. It happened to fall onto a page in the book of Romans.

Romans 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.

I found this verse among the chapter it had landed on, I read it over and over again and it ended giving my hope that If I keep going no matter how hard it will be my God would be there for me.

Hi carterlp,
My main worry is that at one time you seriously considered suicide.
If wise words by someone have convinced you otherwise then I'm truly glad.

Do you believe that when you opened the Bible that was your God's way of answering your prayers?
Was it because you walked away from your parent's religion that your life spiralled into a downward trend?

I've read many things that have made me change the way I think. For example, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke. But just because his sentence opened up a different way for me to think, doesn't mean that I take everything he has written as if it should be carved in stone such that everyone will become enlightened.

Whether there is, or is not an intelligent creator is less important than how we react to whatever concept is offered from whatever source.

When I read your quote; "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.". I actually thought of the difficulties I experienced sometimes when I was at school. Some of the things my teachers were trying to explain, simply didn't make sense to me. I tried and tried, but never felt that I really understood. What I realised later is that I was expecting to just be told answers. But they were often the answers to questions I hadn't thought to ask. So, I wasn't questioning those answers, just trying to remember them so that I could repeat them when asked.

It wasn't until I was walking home from school that I noticed a particular tree. I remember that at one stage it had no leaves, yet now, it was full of leaves and looked really healthy. I wondered why it was that trees can do something that people can't do; grow new parts after they have lost some of their existing parts.

To this day, I believe that it was that tree and my question which led me on a journey to ask questions to seek an understanding about life. Since then, I've been amazed by what has been revealed. But it's a revelation only because of the work I put in and the questions I asked from many, many different sources.
One thing I did find, is that no two trees are identical, even those of the same species, even though they may all start out as apparently identical seeds. And so my tree is unique in oh so many ways.

You think differently to me and for that I'm grateful. For how else am I to learn?
So continue asking questions, but if the answer doesn't then invoke asking even more questions, then reconsider the value of the answer.

You ask what other people believe about your God. I ask, what does it matter what they believe? Is it your God that you believe in or is it someone else's? If your God will always be there for you then what more do you want? If your God is real to you and makes you feel safe, then why would you need someone else's approval? If your God will stop you from committing suicide, then I say; may your God lift up your heart. However, it may be better that you spend more time asking how your intelligent creator's creations actually work rather than pleading with your God for answers. But then I don't know your God because, I don't have one.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 5:45:15 PM

I am not sure if God is a creator, or if we are just a part of a giant organism called the Universe.
toretorden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 9:48:25 PM
I don't believe in a god. The most parsimonious explanation behind religion is that it's all created in the human mind and has no real, objective existence behind it. As far as I can tell, a hinduist may have a religious experience and so can a muslim or a christian or a buddhist. It seems the ability to connect with religion is common across all religions, so it generally seems to me that it has something to do with humans rather than the specifics of whatever religion they follow.

An interesting thing these days to me is that islam and christianity have a common origin, having diverged at some point in history. If someone tells a story and that story spreads, it will also mutate, and hence the stories in the bible and the quoran are sometimes different versions of the same story. From a certain point of view, that means that members of ISIS may kill and do terrorism in the name of god and then other people pray for their victims to that same god. After all, it's not like islam or christianity ever swapped their deity for another and so it should be the same god that you could trace back through each religions history back to when they were one and the same. So same god, different religions. Which is the right one?

So to me, the whole world seems crazy about religion - quite literally - but it doesn't seem very reflected to me. I get the feeling religious people often shy away from the difficult questions I feel they should be asking themselves, but I guess religion is sometimes so tied up in a person's being that questioning it is too much like questioning the core of one's self and I assume that's unpleasant. It's not something people tend to do. Rather, they settle in their beliefs like a groove in an old couch. Also, religions commonly see questioning beliefs as sinful to some extent, which makes sense. After all, prohibiting questioning should make a religion more persistent and competitive and so this idea is sure to spread.

So, various religions are like mind traps. If you have a mind free of religion somewhere in the world, some religion is bound to try and snatch it up. Probably several of them. And if you have learned a bit about the world and you know some biology, know a bit of psychology, know some meme theory and how people may be prone to manipulation like suggestion, know about the mutability of stories and so on .. It's easy to see that these are mind traps. But knowing about all these things takes time and education and by the time you get there, your mind may already have been snatched.

So those are my final 5 cents of the day.
SM2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 11:01:00 PM
As with all supernatural stuff, I'm inclined towards skepticism. However, M-theory does allow the possibility that some advanced civilization could create universes, so we cannot yet rule out the possibility of a creator. However, since universes are enormous, it's unlikely that any technological creator would be able to micro-manage it, assuming they could intervene at all.
carterlp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2015 6:23:53 AM
At 11/30/2015 9:04:36 AM, Emgaol wrote:
Hi carterlp,
My main worry is that at one time you seriously considered suicide.
If wise words by someone have convinced you otherwise then I'm truly glad.

Do you believe that when you opened the Bible that was your God's way of answering your prayers?
Was it because you walked away from your parent's religion that your life spiralled into a downward trend?

I've read many things that have made me change the way I think. For example, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke. But just because his sentence opened up a different way for me to think, doesn't mean that I take everything he has written as if it should be carved in stone such that everyone will become enlightened.

Whether there is, or is not an intelligent creator is less important than how we react to whatever concept is offered from whatever source.

When I read your quote; "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.". I actually thought of the difficulties I experienced sometimes when I was at school. Some of the things my teachers were trying to explain, simply didn't make sense to me. I tried and tried, but never felt that I really understood. What I realised later is that I was expecting to just be told answers. But they were often the answers to questions I hadn't thought to ask. So, I wasn't questioning those answers, just trying to remember them so that I could repeat them when asked.

It wasn't until I was walking home from school that I noticed a particular tree. I remember that at one stage it had no leaves, yet now, it was full of leaves and looked really healthy. I wondered why it was that trees can do something that people can't do; grow new parts after they have lost some of their existing parts.

To this day, I believe that it was that tree and my question which led me on a journey to ask questions to seek an understanding about life. Since then, I've been amazed by what has been revealed. But it's a revelation only because of the work I put in and the questions I asked from many, many different sources.
One thing I did find, is that no two trees are identical, even those of the same species, even though they may all start out as apparently identical seeds. And so my tree is unique in oh so many ways.

You think differently to me and for that I'm grateful. For how else am I to learn?
So continue asking questions, but if the answer doesn't then invoke asking even more questions, then reconsider the value of the answer.

You ask what other people believe about your God. I ask, what does it matter what they believe? Is it your God that you believe in or is it someone else's? If your God will always be there for you then what more do you want? If your God is real to you and makes you feel safe, then why would you need someone else's approval? If your God will stop you from committing suicide, then I say; may your God lift up your heart. However, it may be better that you spend more time asking how your intelligent creator's creations actually work rather than pleading with your God for answers. But then I don't know your God because, I don't have one.

Thank you for responding.

I was clinically depressed and felt no purpose in my life, I didn't get to the point of contemplating how, more so that I felt that it wouldn't matter if I did it or not.
The answer to your second question is yes, I spiraled into bad habits that were, and still are today, difficult to resist.

This is in reply to your sixth section: I sometimes encounter individuals on other sites that aren't as polite as people generally are on here. I was in fact discussing with my mother about the fact that some people don't believe that Science and Religion can be one. I too question things with a scientific point of view, My God is described as Omnipresent, Omnipotent, and Omniscient, which by definition puts him beyond the boundaries of science. This leads me to believe in my perspective that anything that is done directly by him can't be explained by science due to the fact that he goes beyond the very thing attempting to quantify him.

On the topic of your last section, I meant for this forum solely to be about someones belief, I have no quarrel with anyone of a different view so long as they aren't ignorant of others opinions, You aren't ignorant and I thank you for being so understanding.

Thanks yet again.
carterlp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2015 6:45:41 AM
At 11/30/2015 9:48:25 PM, toretorden wrote:
I don't believe in a god. The most parsimonious explanation behind religion is that it's all created in the human mind and has no real, objective existence behind it. As far as I can tell, a hinduist may have a religious experience and so can a muslim or a christian or a buddhist. It seems the ability to connect with religion is common across all religions, so it generally seems to me that it has something to do with humans rather than the specifics of whatever religion they follow.

An interesting thing these days to me is that islam and christianity have a common origin, having diverged at some point in history. If someone tells a story and that story spreads, it will also mutate, and hence the stories in the bible and the quoran are sometimes different versions of the same story. From a certain point of view, that means that members of ISIS may kill and do terrorism in the name of god and then other people pray for their victims to that same god. After all, it's not like islam or christianity ever swapped their deity for another and so it should be the same god that you could trace back through each religions history back to when they were one and the same. So same god, different religions. Which is the right one?

So to me, the whole world seems crazy about religion - quite literally - but it doesn't seem very reflected to me. I get the feeling religious people often shy away from the difficult questions I feel they should be asking themselves, but I guess religion is sometimes so tied up in a person's being that questioning it is too much like questioning the core of one's self and I assume that's unpleasant. It's not something people tend to do. Rather, they settle in their beliefs like a groove in an old couch. Also, religions commonly see questioning beliefs as sinful to some extent, which makes sense. After all, prohibiting questioning should make a religion more persistent and competitive and so this idea is sure to spread.

So, various religions are like mind traps. If you have a mind free of religion somewhere in the world, some religion is bound to try and snatch it up. Probably several of them. And if you have learned a bit about the world and you know some biology, know a bit of psychology, know some meme theory and how people may be prone to manipulation like suggestion, know about the mutability of stories and so on .. It's easy to see that these are mind traps. But knowing about all these things takes time and education and by the time you get there, your mind may already have been snatched.

So those are my final 5 cents of the day.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

In response to your second paragraph, That isn't entirely true. Islam is a tangent of Judaism, Christianity wasn't created until after Christ's crucifixion, in Antioch, It's referred about in the Book of Acts. Judaism is focused on the teachings of the prophets, while Christianity is focused on the teachings of Jesus. Judaism and Christianity are the same God. Islam branched of Judaism much earlier than Christianity did.

For the most part I don't think a true belief in a religion is a mind-trap, but I can see if someone is brought up in a home with it or is introduced somewhere in their lifetime, For me it was more of a True belief at that youth retreat, I guess my life before hand was like a mind-trap, but for me that didn't make it inherently an incorrect belief.

Thanks for your response yet again.
toretorden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2015 12:09:16 PM
Thanks Carterlp for your polite response.

I would say that even though christianity is about the teachings of christ, the origin is still shared. The role and importance or validity of Christ is merely one of several points where religions have diverged.

Going back through life's evolutionary history, you can find a common ancestor for most things. For example, humans and chimpanzees have a common ancestor, but so do humans and lion's mane jellyfish. However, you have to go way further back in time to find the shared ancestor of humans and jellyfish than you do for humans and chimpanzees.

Religions are invented relatively often and separately, so there are more distinct lineages of religions than there are organisms. Every socially isolated group of humans have a religion. An interesting thing about religions is that they are a bit like organisms themselves, or a bit like diseases. I'm sorry for using an analogy with such a negative connotation, but bear with the explanation. The success or fitness of any religion can be said to be its amount of followers. Any one person is generally only capable of really believing in one religion and so the number of minds out there that a religion can inhabit is finite. For this reason, different religions can be seen as competitive, competing for the minds of people. Like a bacteria or a virus, religion spreads from person to person. Often, also like bacteria or virus, they will mutate - change a little - each time they are passed on ..

Religions are made up of many ideas, just like a bacteria is made up of many genes. And just like genes have their own fitness and affect the fitness of the bacteria which possesses that gene, so do such ideas have their own fitness and affect the fitness of the religion they belong to. Hence, just like there is a natural selection of genes, there is a natural selection of ideas.

As an example, let's say a religion has two different versions of an idea about gay people. The first says gay people are sinful and the other says being gay is okay. Let's say gay rights are a popular movement and sees a lot of support and so the idea that being gay is sinful is currently unpopular. That means that this idea has a lower fitness - and it may negatively affect the overall fitness of its host religion ("those fascist bastards"). What might happen then is that it is the idea that gays are okay which is selected for. Its frequency inside the religion will increase. Religions are made up of tons of competing ideas like this and as the popularity of various ideas change, so does the overall religion.

As a side note, humans tend to think of things that invoke feelings as important. They are remembered better, so invoking a feeling like love or fear - such as the fear of eternal damnation - may also help a religious idea stay popular and add to its religions overall fitness. If there was no hell or purgatory, one might expect these ideas to become very popular once created, regardless of their appeal.

When two or more religions meet, they will compete against eachother. As a thought experiment, let's say you have a peaceful religion of benevolent gods which has evolved in an isolated population of aboriginal people. This religion has had it easy - it's never had to really compete against any other religions. Then one day, people from this religion meet european settlers who believe in some flavour of christianity. Christianity has not evolved in a peaceful, isolated village. It has been able to compete for a lot of minds and the general set of ideas that it's made up of have been through a lot of selection and evolution to end up where they are. It is much more competitive. Some ideas that may add to christianity's competitiveness might f.ex be - believing in false gods is a sin, failing to believe in God and adhering to His rules guarantees eternal damnation and the word of God should be spread - the work of a missionary is virtuous.

In this scenario, the benign little religion has met a heavyweight champion and will likely be obliterated. And this is basically what has happened over and over. Many religions have fallen. Norway, for example, was christened by force. Christianity or die. The old, norse religion was defeated. What we have left today are heavyweight champions that hold their sway in different geographical regions (minds inside a region are "safer" from the invasion of other ideas than those on the border). Because of this, and because indoctrination of children is such an effective, widespread fitness strategy, a simple model of knowing where a person is from and the religion followed by his or her parents, is usually all that is required to successfully predict what religion someone follows.

So to summarize, religions are made up in people's minds and then take on a life of their own in the collective mindscape. Like viral or bacterial diseases, they compete and mutate as a response to eachother and the environment that they all exist in. How educated people are, for example, is part of this environment which likely has a large effect on a religion's fitness.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 2:16:16 AM
Why you believe (or not) in a creator. Simply put, I can see the whole barn not just the doors in front of me.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Al_Capwned
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 5:30:40 AM
Posted: 12 months ago
I would say I'm agnostic. I accept the possibility of said creator but I have no evidence so I will not say with certainty that a creator does or does not exist.

I don't put really any stock into "faith". I need evidence to believe in things. The evidence could be wrong completely and therefor I am wrong for believing in something but at least it's something.
carterlp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 5:44:36 AM
At 12/5/2015 4:17:55 AM, Death23 wrote:
There's no good evidence that supports the existence of any god.

Well yes because there never can be any evidence if you go at it from a scientific speculation, for me it's purely on a personal level.
harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 6:10:00 AM
Ok.
Bigots, hmm, oh yeah I know those guys.
Ok, Good, I thought you were an atheist come here to tell me how stupid I am.
So, you became an atheist, and you tried to kill yourself, I m not well versed in this, but I can say that if I was a atheist, sad, lonely, with no apparent point in life but to tell Christians how stupid they are, which is all my experiences with atheists summed up no joke, then I can see why you would be depressed.

GrittyWorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2015 10:50:39 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
ScenaThere is a cteator based on infinity and math.
Scenario 1)In infinite time, space, and reality Evolution would have evolved a creator.

Scenario 2) Variable A birthed variable B which birthed variable C which birthed. Mathematically you need an "unknown variable", or the first. The only way to get this variable is if someone from somewhere else where our laws of science and rules do not apply. Something only comes from something argument.
fightmehellen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 1:08:54 PM
I think there definitely could be a God/creator, but there also might not be. We don't have much proof to prove that there is or is not. I think that religions show you ways to live your life and be happy, but the religious books were probably written by someone who had a good understanding of life and people's lives. What religion teaches certainly helps many people and I support those who follow a religion. But there may not be a creator of all of us, people could have easily invented the idea of a God and science could of created the universe.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 7:02:00 PM
I do not accept the assertion of the existence of an intelligent creator for the most simple reason. There is no evidence of one and there is no way to determine if it does exist. I don't deny the possibility but until some kind of factual, testable, unambiguous evidence is presented I remain unconvinced and reject that particular assertion. This includes gods, goddesses, superintelligent aliens, etc.
SuperHuman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 2:44:48 PM

If you would like to know my other reasons feel free to ask.I don`t really believe in the creator. I believe that there is God and not associate him with any person or something like this. I`m of the poiint of view that it is synergy of what a human has inside and outside..The God is that helps you to live and believe and feel..
SuperHuman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 2:45:34 PM

I don`t really believe in the creator. I believe that there is God and not associate him with any person or something like this. I`m of the poiint of view that it is synergy of what a human has inside and outside..The God is that helps you to live and believe and feel..
AdithyaShark
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 11:58:44 AM
While I wouldn't consider myself an atheist, I lack belief in an intelligent creator. I'm strongly influenced by the philosophy of Baruch Spinoza, and by eastern philosophy, which drive me to some position similar to dual-aspect monism or idealism. When it comes to God, my belief is primarily apatheism, influenced by Confucius, since I dislike theological labels, though I could be classified as a "pantheist" or "panentheist," or even as an atheist. It's tough to articulate my beliefs when I have such little time on DDO, but I'll try. I believe in dual-aspect monism, with one "real" and one "illusory" aspect, and believe that consciousness is the ground of reality. I reject ontologies such as physicalism. So, I believe in some intelligence behind reality. But I don't believe in the idea of a "creator" as some religions would support, since I remain undecided on the philosophy of eternalism (it seems to me that some form of Lorentzian "ether theory" would make for a good theory of physics). That's largely why I don't believe in a creator. I do believe in what some would consider conceptions of God, though it's more akin to the "Tao" supported in Chinese philosophy. I'm also influenced by Sikhism, Theravada Buddhism, and the Hindu Advaita philosophy to a degree.