Jump to topic:

Substance Dualism & Heideggerian Metaphysics

Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2015 11:08:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Sargon and I did a debate in which he presented a refutation of substance dualism stemming from the ideas of Martin Heidegger. It's an interesting read, even if there were some problems with communication and articulation involved: http://www.debate.org...

Thoughts?
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 3:48:53 AM
At 12/1/2015 11:08:32 PM, Romanii wrote:
Sargon and I did a debate in which he presented a refutation of substance dualism stemming from the ideas of Martin Heidegger. It's an interesting read, even if there were some problems with communication and articulation involved: http://www.debate.org...

Thoughts?

I read round 1 and thought I was following and then I got to round 2...........................
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 3:56:05 AM
At 12/2/2015 3:48:53 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 12/1/2015 11:08:32 PM, Romanii wrote:

Thoughts?

I read round 1 and thought I was following and then I got to round 2...........................

I think you meant Round 3 (unless you're implying that you didn't follow anything past the acceptance round lol). But yeah that was really confusing. Too much miscommunication and dissonance between our terminology. Round 4 was much clearer in that sense.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 4:49:27 AM
Cartesianism is literally responsible for the Holocaust. I'll do that debate.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 5:27:59 AM
At 12/2/2015 4:49:27 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

go away -_-

I don't really like substance dualism that much, to be honest. There are too many uncertainties associated with it, like the whole "independent existence" thing and the problem of interaction. I don't think that any of those definitively refutes it, but I prefer other philosophies on the basis of parsimony. Idealism, dual-aspect monism, or even your weird Spinozian infinite substance thing all sound pretty cool. I'm open to almost any ontology except physicalism, which I reject primarily for the reasons expressed in that debate.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 2:42:38 PM
At 12/2/2015 5:27:59 AM, Romanii wrote:

go away -_-

I don't really like substance dualism that much, to be honest. There are too many uncertainties associated with it, like the whole "independent existence" thing and the problem of interaction. I don't think that any of those definitively refutes it, but I prefer other philosophies on the basis of parsimony. Idealism, dual-aspect monism, or even your weird Spinozian infinite substance thing all sound pretty cool. I'm open to almost any ontology except physicalism, which I reject primarily for the reasons expressed in that debate.

Honestly, Spinoza's argument isn't that far-out - he's basically just establishing that mind, body, etc., must all have some common basis or be conceived through the same substance, which is a very standard argument for neutral monism. The infinite substance is just the neutral substance of Russel & Co.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 3:31:31 PM
"Certain theologians took the occasion to complain of me before the prince and magistrates; moreover, the stupid Cartesians, being suspected of favoring me, endeavored to remove the aspersion by abusing everywhere my opinions and writings, a course which they still pursue."

~ Spinoza

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2015 11:17:21 PM

Hilter posited two separate modes of race, the Aryan race and the inferior. Sounds a lot like it was inspired by Cartesian dualism to me.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2015 11:18:16 PM
*Hitler
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.