Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Is Karl Marx's Work still Relevant?

Nickisabi
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 5:50:34 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
I know some you good folks are quite avid when it comes to ideologies, but I would like to pose this question.

Are Karl Marx's works such as Das Kapital still relevant to how our world currently functions? I find them to be intriguing since much of what I have read in Capital is almost paradoxical to the world's current economic situation.
XVIII
Posts: 39
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 8:19:42 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/16/2015 5:50:34 PM, Nickisabi wrote:
I know some you good folks are quite avid when it comes to ideologies, but I would like to pose this question.

Are Karl Marx's works such as Das Kapital still relevant to how our world currently functions? I find them to be intriguing since much of what I have read in Capital is almost paradoxical to the world's current economic situation.

Karl Marx always praised capitalism for producing the wealth necessary for Communism. Much like feudalism, it could be considered a phase that could lead to another understanding of the economy. Karl Marx's work will be relevant and could very possibly become true once Capitalism produces said resources necessary. This could be in either 50 or even 500 years.
SM2
Posts: 546
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 10:40:52 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/16/2015 5:50:34 PM, Nickisabi wrote:
I know some you good folks are quite avid when it comes to ideologies, but I would like to pose this question.

Are Karl Marx's works such as Das Kapital still relevant to how our world currently functions? I find them to be intriguing since much of what I have read in Capital is almost paradoxical to the world's current economic situation.

Marx will be "relevant" for as long as people believe his ideas, but that doesn't make him right.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 10:55:01 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Relevancy is quite a vague term to use.

For individuals who find his ideas to be likable, then yes, he will remain relevant. For individuals who want to use some of his ideas as a basis, he will remain relevant.

For the intellectuals, he will remain as a case study for the farthest reaches of human stupidity, as his moronic philosophy and lack of economic foresight lead to the creation and eventual collapse of many regimes and the deaths of vasts amounts of people.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
TheProphett
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 10:58:47 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/16/2015 10:55:01 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Relevancy is quite a vague term to use.

For individuals who find his ideas to be likable, then yes, he will remain relevant. For individuals who want to use some of his ideas as a basis, he will remain relevant.

For the intellectuals, he will remain as a case study for the farthest reaches of human stupidity, as his moronic philosophy and lack of economic foresight lead to the creation and eventual collapse of many regimes and the deaths of vasts amounts of people.

LOL. I love your satirical posts.
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers


Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 11:03:14 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/16/2015 10:58:47 PM, TheProphett wrote:
At 12/16/2015 10:55:01 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Relevancy is quite a vague term to use.

For individuals who find his ideas to be likable, then yes, he will remain relevant. For individuals who want to use some of his ideas as a basis, he will remain relevant.

For the intellectuals, he will remain as a case study for the farthest reaches of human stupidity, as his moronic philosophy and lack of economic foresight lead to the creation and eventual collapse of many regimes and the deaths of vasts amounts of people.

LOL. I love your satirical posts.

I know right. I really do try to make it seem as intellectual but as descriptive of the vast grain fields of human ignorance that is embedded upon idiots such as Marx.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
TheProphett
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 11:15:09 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/16/2015 11:03:14 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 12/16/2015 10:58:47 PM, TheProphett wrote:
At 12/16/2015 10:55:01 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Relevancy is quite a vague term to use.

For individuals who find his ideas to be likable, then yes, he will remain relevant. For individuals who want to use some of his ideas as a basis, he will remain relevant.

For the intellectuals, he will remain as a case study for the farthest reaches of human stupidity, as his moronic philosophy and lack of economic foresight lead to the creation and eventual collapse of many regimes and the deaths of vasts amounts of people.

LOL. I love your satirical posts.

I know right. I really do try to make it seem as intellectual but as descriptive of the vast grain fields of human ignorance that is embedded upon idiots such as Marx.

I must admit, he did fall on the stupid side of the dumba$$ spectrum, but there are things to throw away from his ideals and things to consider carefully. Same with capitalism.
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers


Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 11:16:41 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/16/2015 5:50:34 PM, Nickisabi wrote:
I know some you good folks are quite avid when it comes to ideologies, but I would like to pose this question.

Are Karl Marx's works such as Das Kapital still relevant to how our world currently functions? I find them to be intriguing since much of what I have read in Capital is almost paradoxical to the world's current economic situation.

I find Marx interesting because the people who want to implement his idea always fail to understand that, as he described them later in life, they cannot be implemented by force. Marx was a very descriptive political philosopher who described what he thought would eventually happen, and Das Kapital is interesting for its treatment of the connections between economics and politics. His whole point was that Capitalism would hang itself, not that we needed violent revolts and planned economies in marginally industrialized nations. Did Marx write a perfect analysis? No. But he wrote an original, interesting, and influential one.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
YYW
Posts: 36,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 11:31:07 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
I always enjoy seeing people who have probably never even read Marx talk about his writings as if they have been raped by them. And it's always really clear who has read Marx, and who has not read Marx, frequently by the level of sophistication of their response. The more nuanced, the more likely people are to have read Marx. The less nuanced, the more likely such a person is to have never even cracked the cover of anything Marx ever wrote.

Marx will remain relevant, probably, forever because his critique of capitalism (which is what Marx was... people talk about Marx's 'philosophy' are really talking about what people who were later influenced by some of Marx's ideas had to say) have had a lasting impact on both the social sciences and the humanities. And, unless you're one of those Fukuyama fools who think that history has come to an end, what's interesting is that as time goes on, more of what Marx had to say about capitalism has turned out to be correct.

But, there's a lot of nonsense that sort of surrounds discussion of Marx, in the humanities, social sciences and economics... although the nonsense tends to be different according to each field of study. What one really common theme tends to be, though, is the impetus to conform to what "true" Marxism is, which is just absurd. Marxism becomes theology when we get to that point. This absurdity is decidedly less absurd, though, than the criticisms of it which tend to resonate from the young and dumb.

The bottom line is that the vast majority of people who talk about Marx have never read anything he wrote... and I enjoy listening how dumb people sound when they do that kind of thing.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 11:32:34 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/16/2015 11:16:41 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 12/16/2015 5:50:34 PM, Nickisabi wrote:
I know some you good folks are quite avid when it comes to ideologies, but I would like to pose this question.

Are Karl Marx's works such as Das Kapital still relevant to how our world currently functions? I find them to be intriguing since much of what I have read in Capital is almost paradoxical to the world's current economic situation.

I find Marx interesting because the people who want to implement his idea always fail to understand that, as he described them later in life, they cannot be implemented by force. Marx was a very descriptive political philosopher who described what he thought would eventually happen, and Das Kapital is interesting for its treatment of the connections between economics and politics. His whole point was that Capitalism would hang itself, not that we needed violent revolts and planned economies in marginally industrialized nations. Did Marx write a perfect analysis? No. But he wrote an original, interesting, and influential one.

lol yes

What is amusing is how people point to some predictions Marx made which turned out not to be the case, and use that to attempt to invalidate everything else he wrote. I mean, this kind of thing is just stupid... but it's still more sophisticated than some of the criticisms I've seen others proffer in this thread.
Tsar of DDO
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 11:50:12 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/16/2015 11:32:34 PM, YYW wrote:
At 12/16/2015 11:16:41 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 12/16/2015 5:50:34 PM, Nickisabi wrote:
I know some you good folks are quite avid when it comes to ideologies, but I would like to pose this question.

Are Karl Marx's works such as Das Kapital still relevant to how our world currently functions? I find them to be intriguing since much of what I have read in Capital is almost paradoxical to the world's current economic situation.

I find Marx interesting because the people who want to implement his idea always fail to understand that, as he described them later in life, they cannot be implemented by force. Marx was a very descriptive political philosopher who described what he thought would eventually happen, and Das Kapital is interesting for its treatment of the connections between economics and politics. His whole point was that Capitalism would hang itself, not that we needed violent revolts and planned economies in marginally industrialized nations. Did Marx write a perfect analysis? No. But he wrote an original, interesting, and influential one.

lol yes

What is amusing is how people point to some predictions Marx made which turned out not to be the case, and use that to attempt to invalidate everything else he wrote. I mean, this kind of thing is just stupid... but it's still more sophisticated than some of the criticisms I've seen others proffer in this thread.

It's analogous to virtue signalling, I guess.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -